Vermont Foliage Trip

Search

Vermont Foliage Trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vermont Foliage Trip

I am going to VT from NYC on Columbus Day long weekend. I like scenic drives, quiet nature, photo ops. My itinenary:
------
Day 1:
------
Drive from NYC to Quenchee Gorge.
Antique Market.
Lunch @ Simon Pierce restaurant.
On to Woodstock. Spend a few hours there.
Proceed to Mendon Mountainview Lodge, 10 mi off Killington. Evening and O/N at the Lodge.
-----
Day 2:
-----
Morning ski lift ride to the Top of the Mt.Killington
Drive Killington - Burlington via Rt 7
Lunch at Burlington. Spend a 2-3 hrs there
Continue to Shelburn Farm via Rt 7. 2 hrs
Back to Killington. O/N .
----
Day 3:
-----
Drive Killington - Stowe via Rt 100
Spend a few hrs in Stowe. Back to NY

Any suggestions about the plan, please. How scenic is the drive from Killington to Stowe on rt.100 ? Is there much to do in Stowe? Any special/scenic places to see along the way in any of the tree days?

Thanks.

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:33 AM

A few comments: Quechee Gorge is scenic, but not overly spectacular. It's fun to hike down into it. The antique market is 'ok', nothing great. I wouldn't spend too much time there. Simon Pierce is wonderful, if pricey. In the Woodstock area I would recommend two places to visit - the Billings Farm Museum and Rockefeller Estate; and Sugarbush Farm. The Rockefeller estate has some great walking and hiking trails. Sugarbush Farm is a real farm that makes thier own cheeses and maple syrup. Yes the drive from Killington to Stowe is scenic, as is most of Vermont.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:41 AM
bm

Re: Day 3:Are you sure you want to drive from Killington to Stowe then back to NYC? Stowe is north and completely out of your way for your ride home. Route 100 will be chock full of tourists that weekend and will be slow goings. You may want to save Stowe for another time. Instead, I would head south on Route 100 to Wilmington and then wind your way southwest via the Berkshires, then on home to NY.
Day 2: Killington to Burlington is about 2 hours (give or take a few minutes). You'll need more than 2 hours at the Shelburne Museum-you'll need the whole day to see everything. Hope this helps!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

zootsi and bm:
Your suggestions are very, very valuable. In fact, I am re-considering the trip in light of your recommendations:
-----
Day 1:
------
7.30 am - 1.30: Drive from NYC directly to Woodstock. Skip Quenchee & Market.
Lunch @Woodstock - any suggestions for inexpensive but decent place?
2.30 - 4.30 - Woodstock walks.
4.30 - 6.30 - Sugarbush Farm
6.30 - on to Hotel @Killington.

---------
Day 2
---------
8am - Breakfast @Hotel
9am - Ski lift to Mt.Killington
10.30 - 1.30 - Rt 7 to Burlington.
Lunch @Burlington, spend a few hrs there.
4 pm - Is Shelburne Farm worth overextending myself?
Any other scenic suggestions for Burlington area not far from Burlington?(already did lake Champlaine cruise once). How about the train trip ?
6 pm - back to Hotel. Is there an alternative to Rt 7 not to repeat it?

----
Day 3
----
Do exactly what bm suggests

Thanks for your help, gentlemen!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:21 PM
bm

Oleg..I misread your first post. 2 hours is fine for Shelburne Farms (I had shelburne Museum in my head for some reason). Day 2 will be busy, but doable. A couple alternatives to Route 7:
a) Take I-89 south to Route 100 south.
b) I-89 south to Route 107 west to 100 west
c)Route 116 south from South Burlington to East Middlebury. Take either Route 7 south from there, or take 125 East to 100 south.
Get yourself a good map and explore!
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

bm:
Thanks. I decided to drop Shelburne farm from the trip. I went to their website. Nothing special. It's still another 45 min drive to the Farm from Burlington (1.5 hours two ways). Perhaps, I'd concentrate close to Burlington area on day 2.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:55 PM
bm

Oleg...Shelburne Farms is only 15-20 minutes south of Burlington...it's beautiful there.
http://www.shelburnefarms.org/
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 05:10 AM

Woodstock is a very pretty little town, but touristy - so the restaurants are all quite pricey. Try Bentley's - a popular in town place with some interesting victorian decor. I wouldn't wait until 4:30 to visit Sugarbush Farms - they probably close around 5:00. An hour there should be more than enough. It's a small farm with a cheese and syrup tasting room, some goats and other critters, and some walking paths. It's a verty scenic ride to get there however.
The Billings Farm, on the other hand, is easily a 1/2 day outing. This is a restored 1890's working farm and museum, with exhibits, animal demonstrations, etc. Across the road is the Rockefellar Estate, which is a national park with some beautiful pathways and gardens.
Shelburne Farm is also a beautiful spot to stroll about and relax. Shelburne MUSEUM(a totally different place) is an all day outing - lots and lots of eclectic 'stuff' to see.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:05 AM

Frankly, I would skip Burlington, esp. since you've been there, and go up 100 to Stowe that day instead. Yes, it will be crowded but so will every place in VT that weekend. The drive is beautiful, Stowe is cute, the drive through Smugglers Notch is fun. On the way up or back, you can do the Ben and Jerry's tour in Waterbury. Other possibilities - poke around in the Waitsfield area or go to Montpelier, the state capital. There are Culinary Institute restaurants there for lunch. (Can't remember names.)You could skip the gondola ride in Killington and go to the top of Mt. Mansfield in Stowe instead to save time that day. Take Rt. 89 out of Waterbury to return to Killington.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Jacqueline,
You are right. I will go to Stowe via Rt 100 from Killington on Day 2. I looked it up on Mapquest.com. It's about same time as Rt 7 to Burlington.
My question is though if I'll be able to stop and take pictures along Rt 100, like I did a few years ago on Rt 7. In other words, I do not want to create traffic problems by constantly stopping-going. I remember Rt 7 was not crowded at all during Fall Foliage, and presented excellent photo ops, and I was driving with no pressure.
Also, I am quite unsure about Day 3 now.
What is my best option, minding 6 hrs drive to NYC. In other words, places I visit on Day 3 must be 'on the way' back, with may be minor deviations. For example, would it be wise to visit Sugarbush farm near Woodstock on my way back to NYC?
I really appreciate your help.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 03:04 PM

Oleg,

Just got back from Killington myself. We live in MA. We've had a ski condo there for 20 yrs. and had some things to do in it. The green color is starting to fade from the trees and, here and there, there are some spots of color but it will be a few weeks yet. Hopefully, you will hit it right, barring any weather disasters! There are a few places to stop on 100N towards Stowe. There is a beautiful waterfall along the way with a small parking area. However, most of the road is narrow and windy but when you go through the small towns, you will have plenty of areas to stop. On the way home, I guess I would recommend Rt. 100S. Go down Rt.4S from Mendon and take a right at 100 towards Ludlow and follow it along. It goes through some very picturesque towns. The VT Country Store is in Weston and, you could even go down to Bennington and go to the Grandma Moses museum. All the stops will, of course, add to your drivetime. You can pick up Rt. 91 in SW VT and be on your way. Get a good guidebook, like AAA and a map and decide what is important to you. Again, VT will be VERY busy that weekend so there will be long waits for dinner and breakfast. Dinner reservations may not be a bad idea NOW. On the Killington MT. Road, about 15 min. from where you'll be staying, I would recommend Choices. Excellent food at reasonable (for a tourist area) prices. For "fine dining", The Birch Ridge Inn on the Mt. Road is good. Closer to you, the Red Clover Inn, off Rt. 4 is excellent, although under new ownership and I haven't been there since. Also, the VT Inn on Rt. 4 is OK, but I prefer Red Clover. Expect to pay "fine dining" prices. Peppinos, on the Mt. Rd. is pretty good for Italian with main courses about $12-20. Everything else along the Mt. Rd., IMO, is quite mediocre. Someone else may disagree. Hemingways, on Rt. 4S, past the Mt. Road, for you, has an excellent reputation but, quite frankly, we have been disappointed the last couple of times. It is very pricey and they have an attitude, IMO, so we haven't been back. There is a great breakfast place near you on Rt. 4, you would go S just a little bit. It is called Sugar n Spice, in a sugar house type bldg. Marvelous pancakes served with real maple syrup (you pay extra for the fake stuff!), plus all other breakfast items and wonderful real homefries. However, they will be quite crowded that weekend. Maybe if you get there really early, you'll do better.

If you want to walk around Woodstock on your way up, there is a trattoria type place for lunch which has been written up in Gourmet magazine. It's called something like Pane E Salute. Never been there but it's supposed to be good. Going N thru town, it's on the left on the lower level of the bldg., small sign. Have been disappointed in Bentley's. Just on the N side of town on the left is the Woodstock Farmers Market, a deli and produce and VT products type store. They make excellent sandwiches (slowly) and you would have to eat in your car but it's another option. Have a wonderful time.