Reload this Page >

Ventana, Highland Inn or Nepenthe for lunch

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Priscilla

We would like to stop for lunch coming and going from Carmel to San Simeon. Which place do you recomend for beauty and also, for location that will not take us out of our way. Leaving from Carmel and driving down to San Simeon. The three places I have in mind are: Nepenthe, Ventana, and Highland Inn. Thanks for your help.

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 07:50 PM
gail

Nepenthe-hanging off a cliff with a fantastic view-food becomes immaterial with a view like that!

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 08:15 AM
xxx

Priscilla,
The food is much better at Highland and Ventana; but the view at Nepenthe is spectacular. The food, however, is mediocre at best and very expensive. I still would stop there for a sandwich. Be sure to visit the gift shop.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 09:36 AM
lynette

I believe you can access Ventanas' menu from its website. Maybe that will help you decide!

Lynette

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Grasshopper

Highland Inn has great food and views but is quite expensive. Nepenthe has good views but terrible food and is expensive and crowded. Consider another option: get a picnic at a deli (great one in the shopping center just off Hwy 1 near Safeway) and stop at Point Lobos for a picnic. There are some spectacular views. Take the 1 mile Cypress Grove loop trail.

Stop for a shrimp cocktail and wine at Rocky Point, just south of Point Lobos. More great views.

Old Oct 13th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Diana

My vote is for Nepenthe. I've eaten lunch several times at Ventana and the food is very good, but there is no ocean view at all. At Nepenthe,from either inside, outside, or out in back, you get a view of the ocean, the hills, and all in between. Order a hamburger and fries, or a cheese board, a glass of wine and enjoy!