VegasG.CanyonYosemiteCarmelLA HELP

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi...I am planningon getting married in vegas on tuesday June 24th...My husband and I want to plan a trip involving Grand Canyon, Yosemite and Monterey/Carmel afterwards. We are leaving Vegas on June 25th Wednesday and have till July 6th to travel back to LA where we will leave to go back to NY to (we have about 10 days after the wedding). What is a realistic plan...we know that we may not be able to do this much. Thanks
Old May 20th, 2003, 11:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
utahtea! Where are you!!!??
Old May 21st, 2003, 03:23 AM

Have done the trip from Yosemite to Vegas. Took us 8 hours via Tioga to get to Furnace Creek in Death Valley, where we stayed the night. Trip from there to Vegas took 2 hours max. Yosemite is worth at least a few days (stayed in El Portal, just outside the park), as is the Carmel/Monterrey peninsula. Trip from Yosemite to Carmel/Monterrey can be comfortably in a day. You could get from there to LA in a day if you wanted, but Santa Barbara is worth a visit on the way and Highway 1 is better if you take your time.
Old May 21st, 2003, 06:58 AM

Did somebody me!

Everything you want to do sounds very doable in the time you have. You will be doing a lot of driving.

From Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon is 280 miles if you take Hwy 93 to I-40. I would plan on at least 2 days at the Grand Canyon and maybe 3 if you want to do any serious hiking into the canyon.

From Grand Canyon to Yosemite come in thought Tioga Pass which is scheduled to open June 6th. You can get here two different ways and I would suggest spending one night on the road before getting to Yosemite. One way would be to drive up Hwy 395 which is a scenic drive of the east side of the Sierra Mountains. There are small towns to spend the night like Lone Pine, Bishop, Lee Vining. This route is about 730 miles.

The other route would take you back though Las Vegas and up to Tonopah, NV which might be a good spot to spend the night and then come across on Hwy 6 and pick up Hwy 120 into Yosemite. This route is about 700 miles.

Spend three nights in Yosemite if you can. I don't know if you will be able to find lodging in the park at this late date but call and see if you can get in. Staying in Yosemite Valley is the BEST!

From Yosemite it's an easy days drive to Monterey-Carmel area. This is about 250 miles. We don't get to this area as much as I would like.

From Monterey-Carmel you can make it to L. A. in one day and get on I-5 which is about 325 miles to L.A. Or you might want to make it a little more leisurely and visit Hearst Castle and/or Solvang which is a cute little Dutch community and spend a night on the road. This route is about 340 miles but it will be a lot slower driving.

Happy Honeymoon!

Utahtea

Utahtea
Old May 21st, 2003, 09:02 AM

Two summers ago, my family took a vacation that started in San Francisco, then on to Yosemite and Montery/Carmel. Your itinerary is very abitious with alot of driving. I suggest that you eliminate one of the detinations. Yosemite alone is HUGE, and exhausting with so many things to do. If you want to do a Nat'l Park from Vegas, then how about Bryce or Zion? Much closer! Then, you can dirve up to Salt Lake city and come back to NY from there. Good luck!
Old May 21st, 2003, 07:02 PM

hopalongmay,

Are you driving or flying back to NY? If you're flying back to NY then you will only be driving about 1600 to 1800 miles. That's not that bad for the 12 days you have and really no need to cut anything out.

Utahtea