Vegas Trip Report 5/3-5/8. Pt. 1

Old May 12th, 2005, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Vegas Trip Report 5/3-5/8. Pt. 1

Thanks to all who gave such great advice! Hope this won't be too long to read.

Left JFK Jetblue 10:10 p.m. flight. We rented a car right at the airport (Dollar). Quick and easy--plus, they didn't a full size car that we could drive (they had all sporty cars) so they gave us a Durango at no extra charge. Sweet deal.

Checked in at the Mirage. Again, quick and easy! I did decide on the Tower Deluxe ROOM and I'm very glad we did. We got the upgrade for an extra $25 instead of $50, plus a bottle of champagne in the room because of our anniversary.

Room was great. 24th floor with sep. elevators (all tower rooms are on the 24-25th floors). Chocolates on the nightstand. Good-sized room, king bed, bath had the whirlpool jets and sep. stand-up shower, Lime toiletries--and they were very generous with them. Clean!!! The cleaning staff was wonderful. They started their rounds as soon as they saw you leave the room and by the time you were done with breakfast and back up, the room was ready. Also, we were able to get a late (6 p.m.) checkout--on a Saturday--for an extra $50. Well worth it for us, since we were leaving on a late flight. I would, without a doubt, reserve the Tower rooms again. The service and amenities were top notch.

Breakfast: We had the Bellagio breakfast buffet, days 1 and 2. I really think that's the best buffet on the strip--tied with Wynn's buffet, which we did on day 3. Amazing selection: omellete station, waffles, blintzes, desserts, lox, BBQ slamon, herring, asian station, eggs of every sort. I believe both buffets were about $13.95, although on Saturday morning pretty much all of the hotels were trying to jerk you around with overpriced meals due to Mother's Day. That morning we went to Palio's at the Bellagio for a simple cappucino and croissant and sat in the little tables overlooking the pool area.

Lunch: Stayed light (the buffets really filled us up). We went to Margaritaville on the strip. Really fun, great margs and conch fritters. That day it was very breezy (so much so that they shut down the Bellagio fountains), and the entire experience reminded me of the islands. Sit at the front bar and people watch (at least during the day; at night the wild things hang out there and the sidewalk vomiting kind of ruins the fun). We also drove to Capriotti's for lunch which is on Sahara Blvd. They have yummy heros of every kind--and cheap. The place is very plain, but clean, and vegans can have their veggie heros with soy protein turkey and cheese. So good!

Stopped into some of the Italian coffee shops for a midday gelato and espresso. Try the ones at Bellagio, Wynn, Venetian. We also spent an afternoon at the Mirage pool area and the Dolphin Bar had some awesome mimosas.

PT 2--nighttime---to come soon!

Old May 12th, 2005, 06:37 AM

Sounds great so far. Making me hungry!

If it's not too late, it would be great if you could post the rest of the parts as replies to this thread, rather than new threads. Keeps everything together that way.

Can't wait to hear more.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Yes. Thanks for the reminder.
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

PT. 2
We usually do a side trip, but this time we stayed in town. Walked the strip, hung out by the pool. Mirage's pool is awesome, but crowded. Although you can find a spot in the sun or shade where you can squeeze in, and the waitresses are pretty good about getting your drinks. There's a bar in the middle of the pool complex (I watched the derby from there) and a bar/restaurant right at the entrance for snacks. Plenty of shade everywhere.

Attractions: Saw Dolphins and Secret Garden at Mirage, dolphins were great, the rest ok; flamingos at the Flamingo; Lions at MGM; shops at Caesars; Paris, nice but dark; cheesy gift shops; and whatever we ran into when we were walking the strip. There really is so much on the Strip, whether it's shopping for junk or bar-hopping.

Dinner and beyond: One of our fav spots is Chin Chin in NYNY. If you're a veg-head, they'll replace any meat in any dish with tofu. Very good and clean. We also tried Red Square @ Mandalay. Caviar heaven and Siberian nachos were a little salty but tasty, and the champagne flights excellent. For quick late night stuff, we went to the Carnegie Deli @ Mirage. Not so good, although what can you expect at 2 a.m. Kokomo's for dinner at the Mirage was excellent--especially the Wasabi Sea Bass. We also went to Kahunaville for a quick pre-show bite. They always have coupons.

Nightlife: We saw two shows--both comped. Skintight (Harrah's) was your typical naked girly show but fun. Clint Holmes @ Harrah's (how diverse can you get), great entertainer, but a little too Branson, MS for us and a decidedly older crowd. Honestly, I thought he was a country singer. But we had a booth which we shared with a nice couple from Utah. Clubs were pretty much all awesome except for Tangerine at TI which was a crowded meat market. Now I know what sausage must feel like. Ghost @ Palms was a more sophisticated younger crowd and the view was worth the 1/2 hour wait. Gilley's was the hit of the trip for me: the line dancing was great (hubby didn't mind my dancing with a local cowboy since line dancing isn't his thing); we saw bikini bull riding, rauchy, randy, totally un-PC, but a blast. Nice to hang back with a beer on a sawdust floor.

We Jetblued back to NY on a 1:30 a.m. flight (which was packed!), with no problems!

I'm afraid I'm getting hooked on Vegas!
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:21 PM

Thanks for the report NYgirl!

Are you the one that was looking for suprise adult entertainment with your husband? If so, what did you experience. I won't tell anybody what you share...
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:22 PM

OH, and how did you spend your Sat night prior to that flight time?
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

placeu2, no I wasn't the adult entertainment girl but there certainly seemed to be no lack.

Saturday night we checked out at 6 p.m., gambled a bit, then headed to the Clint Homles show. After the show we went to Kokomo's for dinner, walked the strip a bit and then it was time for the airport. All-in-all a good time.
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:04 PM

Great trip report! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed Vegas. BTW- there's another Caprotti's on Flamingo & Decatur not too far from the strip and might be a little closer than going up to Sahara. I just love their subs!

Do you remember the price for the Wynn buffet - lunch or dinner? I can't seem to find any info on their website...
Old May 12th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Hey NYgirl! I can't believe you went to Capriotti's. In actuality there are many of them all over the valley. My favorite is the Bobbie sandwich (turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and mayonnaise). My mouth waters just thinking about it. Don't tell anyone else about Capriotti's. It'll be our little secret.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM

NYgirl, what did you think of the Wynn? I have heard mixed comments, to me the Bellagio is still the nicest Want to try Wynn's buffet soon.

Jbee, just did the Bellagio buffet last week when my friend was visiting, the crab legs were outstanding. Halved and nice big servings. Just to confuse you some more if you haven't already made up your mind!
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Jbee, travelwifey:
We went to the Wynn breakfast buffet which was 13.95. I think the lunch and dinner may be comparable to Bellagio. Wynn seems to be going in that direction in just about every aspect of the resort. I thought the landscaping was incredible. Rock formations, waterfalls, imported olive, fig, cypress trees, really an amazing place. But I think Bellagio is still nicer. Wynn is too big!
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Travelinwifey, what are you doing to me?!?! Now I'm stuck again between Bellagio, Mirage or Wynn. Based on NYgirl's review of Wynn, it might be fun to take the parents there. Decisions, decisions!
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Thanks for your comments NYgirl!

And Jbee, yes, I wanted to confuse you more! hee hee Be sure to follow up with a restaurant review whatever you decide