Reload this Page >

Vegas to Pacific Grove 1 DAY??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 01:55 PM
xxx

Can I make this with 1 day driving. Even if it is the boring route? On the shortest route where should I overnight @ 1/2 way
Thanks

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:33 PM
jay

What kind of mileage did you get from the internet?

That should tell you if you can make it in one day or not.

Looking at a map will show you the towns in between where you can stay if you need to make the journey in two days.

Or I could do all of this for you!!!!!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:35 PM
Julie

You can do it in a long day. I have driven from Las Vegas to the Bay Area in one day twice in the last month. Take a look at a map -- you will likely go through Bakersfield to 5, then cut over to the coast on 152. Guess you could stay overnight in Bakersfield, but I like to keep driving.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:00 PM
kam

Bakersfield is not a bad choice. It's just after the Grapevine, and you will be tired and hungry by then. Bakersfield is Basque country and there are a number of good restaurants. One, I remember, is the "Wool Gatherers." I would stop to eat and sleep because the 5 freeway north of Bakersfield is boring, boring and not a good drive if you're tired. Then cut over 152 through the Pacheco Pass and you're almost in Monterey. Remember it's difficult to go east to west in California---mountains get in the way. Most roads follow the north/south valleys so mileage becomes rather irrelavent.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:28 PM
mare

Take the semi-scenic route and live a little! 4.5 hours from Vegas to Los Angeles area, 5 hours from L.A. up to Pacific Grove.

Santa Barbara would be a good place to spend the night since it sounds like you're not REALLY that rushed for time. The Days Inn near the beach is reasonable, in nearby Carpinteria the Motel 6 (the southernmost of the two Motel 6's is best) is only about $45 and actually quite nice. Quiet and within walking distance of dining.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:32 AM
jan

Oh, Oh too many choices.
Julie, How long is a long day. 10,12,14 hours?
kam, What is the Grapevine
mare, That sounds interesting great price for hotels. WOuld liketo do the #1 all the way up the coast. How long is that.
Thanks Everyone.
ALl the help is appreciated
Jan

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Karl

You would like to drive Hwy 1 all the way up the coast from where?

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 11:00 AM
jan

LA to Santa Barbara, #101
[San Luis Obispo to Pacific Grove]#1
Thanks,
Jan

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Excuse Me!!

Mare,

The "semi-scenic" drive from Vegas to LA!!!!!!!! You've got to be trying to put us on. What a waste of gas.

EM

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 04:43 PM
mare

Jan:

L.A. to Santa Barbara is about 95 minutes on the 101, highly recommend a breakfast or lunch stop at the Summerland Beach Cafe about 10 miles before SB. From SB to Morro Bay is about 2.5 hours, at that point you can either take the coastal route 1 up to Monterey, (about 4.5 hours depending on traffic etc) or cut over to reconnect to the 101 North which will take you probably 3 hours, 10 minutes.

Depending on the fog, and your mood regarding the scenery and curvy roads etc, you can make the decision at Morro Bay as to which way to go.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 05:15 PM
jan

Thinking now to go LV to Bakersfield to San Luis Obispo or Pismo Beach. Staying near Pismo Beach overnight, then heading up to Marina Dunes Resort around Pacific Grove.What are the smaller roads like from Bakersfield area the #166 or the #58.
Thank You SO much for your input.
Cheers,
Jan
Vancouver Island, BC

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 08:24 AM
joesorce

Jan: From Bakersfield you would take the 46 but it is a slow, curvy trip through the mountains, not recommended. It's about 125 miles and takes 4.5 hours so you do the math.

Vegas to Bakersfield is 5 hours 20 minutes, Bakersfield to SLObispo is 4 hrs 30 minutes so total is almost 10 hours.
Vegas to LA is 4 hours 30 minutes and LA to SLObispo is 4 hours so 8 hours and a half.

If you decide to drive down through LA, I will email you driving directions so that you avoid actually coming into LA and the traffic. You can freeway around the northern borders of the area and make your way then up the coast. A visit to the Reagan Presidential Library might be nice for a break in the trip.

P.S. Have you decided on where to stay in Las Vegas?

Old Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:48 PM
jan

Hi Joe,
Oops lost this thread for a bit. Glad I found it again else I would have ended up on those curvy roads thru the mountains. Think I will have enough of those by that time [the Canadian rockies then back thru Colorado] [I hope -thru COlorado, the fires are very frightening I feel so bad for all those people loosing their homes and here I am planning a holiday.
But will keep planning for now and keep my fingers crossed for all those on the fire line.
Ok so Sorry I kind of keep changing my mind here but everyone has given me such interesting new ideas. I don't want to get that close to LA [toooo big]. What about coming out [from Vegas] into the Santa Barbara area. Still planning on staying around Pismo area overnight.
Also Flamingo-the pools sold me.
Ok thanks everyone for you input once again.
Jan

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:40 AM
xxx

ttt

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 09:07 PM
joe

Jan-
Book the flamingo rooms at Flamingolv.com for the best rates (click on 'special offers').

Santa Barbara is a favorite of mine so I hope you do spend a day there. You should be afraid of brushing the outskirts of L.A. on the freeways, if you time it right it is smooth sailing. From Vegas on the 15, to the 18 west to the 14 south, you can then hit the 126 west through Fillmore and on to Santa Barbara, and this is a nice drive through some farm country. But it is slow going at times.

If it's a weekday, you don't really need a reservation. Santa Barbara should have lots of space available, and if you're tired before SB you can overnight somewhere sooner.

The Days Inn in Santa Barbara is fine for just an overnighter, also the Marina Beach Inn or the Tropicana Inn. Sometimes you might even find a special deal going at the fabulous Harbor View Inn. The Coast Village Inn just south of SB in Montecito is also usually reasonable, and Montecito is a small village with everything within walking distance of the Inn.

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:24 PM
jan

Hi Joe,
That sounds like a nice route [looks pretty straight forward] to SB, sounds better than the curvy mountain roads further north. What is your time estimate then on the new route you gave to SB. It sure does sound like a nice area. Are any of those you mentioned in SB on a nice sandy beach?
We got a great deal [I think] at the Flamingo 3 nights @ $145.00 total with $55.00 in dining coupons back to us.
Thanks Joe for helping me thru this I know we are going to have the best time because of everyones help pointing us in the right direction.
Cheers,
jan

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:37 PM
joesorce

Nothing in Santa Barbara is right ON the beach, but there are lots of choices across the street from the beach or with ocean views.

Coast Village Inn in Montecito has ocean view rooms, the beach is across the street and down some steep steps.

marinabeachmotel.com is only a block or so from the beach and usually has reasonable weekday rates.

I am sure that you are going to have a great vacation, Jan, because I can see that you are really doing your homework. I hope that your traveling partner appreciates all your effort! I will email you with my dining suggestions for Las Vegas and Santa Barbara. Please let us know what you like to eat!

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:45 PM
joesorce

Jan- also wanted to advise that you plan to stay in the Santa Barbara area. After your long day of driving I don't think you'll want to continue up as far as Pismo Beach.

Don't forget, in Las Vegas you only sleep from 4am to 8am !

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 11:09 PM
jan

Hey Joe,
It certainly is a lot of work planning this trip [it had better be appreciated]
I love the planning it sure is time consuming, but very educational I never knew you had such a fine country down there. Can't wait. Those hotels you mentioned are very nice I'll check them out further tomorrow. I thought I would get a bit rested in Vegas but after you mentioned it I remember similar hours in Reno many years ago. As for the food anything but real greasy stuff. Like to try different things buffets are always nice.
Thanks a bunch Joe
Talk Later
jan

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:06 PM
jan

Hi Joe,
Tryed to email you back to thank you.Didn't go thru.
I cannot thank you enough! All the info you have passed on to us has saved
me a ton of grief I am sure. Like the parking issue, dehydration, few and far between conveniences and the restaurants are all a great help for a first time visitor. Have you considered writing a book! You are very well respected at Fodors I see, and you deserve it. Can't remember if you have helped me on this one yet [to much data to compute holy mackeral what have I gotten us into] so excited can't wait.
Any idea how long the drive will take from SB up to Pacific Grove [the
scenic route]? Have all the mileage etc but I understand its a pretty poky
drive.
Joe if you are ever in my neck of the woods and need some pointers, you know how to get ahold of me. I suspect tho that you are kind of world travelled and have probably been here already.
Ok Thanks Again and take Care, I am sure we'll be talking again.
Oh yes I think you were the one in the ice cream thread that asked if anyone
likes their hot fudge without the icecream - you bet thats me mmmmmm-good.
Cyaa later,
jan