Search

Vegas Room Rate

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 12:42 PM
wantingVegas

Vegas Room Rate

Is there a website out there that I can bid on rooms for specific hotels? Thanks.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 12:59 PM
Lifesnot

No.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 05:59 PM
thereuare

Let's think about it...

why would i buy the at hotel's given rate when i could continue to bid on that same hotel at any amount cheaper than their posted rate?

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 03:27 AM
xx

Its a good question. Hotels do give sites like priceline.com a certain number of rooms for bidding. A site might actually do better if people knew the hotel they were bidding on. I wish I could help you but I only know of Priceline.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:48 AM
xx

Expedia might be able to help.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:57 AM
thereuare

XX,

A business model like you are talking about would NOT work for the simple reason i stated... nobody would book thru the hotel at their posted rates if they could always get it cheaper by bidding on it (or at least the same price by eventually bidding the posted rate)

The reason why Priceline works is b/c you don't know the hotel you are getting, therefore the hotel is not losing out on higher margin customers that are willing to pay the "going rate" in order to stay at that specific hotel.

By giving excess inventory to Priceline, the hotel is able to potentially win over a new customer once they stay at the hotel WHO MIGHT HAVE NOT EVER CHOSEN THAT HOTEL (that's the key part, it's getting revenue from a customer that might have been staying down the blcok at a different hotel)

Why would a hotel want to sell rooms cheaper than their "going rate". Room prices ARE based upon supply/demand, so if the hotel is VERY empty they just run more sales/promotions for that time. However, there is a certain floor to prices because they don't want to cheapen their product in consumer's eyes (and they don't want to "give away the ranch" to customers that CHOOSE to stay at their property)

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 05:13 AM
x

Actually it already works. Priceline lists its hotels in * catagories. Many times there are only 1 or 2 hotels in each catagory so you pretty much know what hotel you are bidding for.