Vegas, Grand Canyon, Zion in late July/early Aug with kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have our flights and several nights of lodging booked for my husband, me, and our 9, 6, and 4-year-old children July 28th thru Aug 4th. We have been wavering back and forth for weeks on whether to actually go or not, since we've heard that the heat is intolerable. After much research, we've decided to go and just be prepared, hydrated, hike early, etc. Our itinerary is currently:
7/28: Arrive Vegas
7/29 drive to Zion/stay in St. George, UT
7/30 Zion/ stay in St. George, UT
7/31 drive to Grand Canyon South Rim/stay at Yavapai Lodge
8/1 GC/Yavapai (Any info about Grand Canyon Railway?)
8/2 free
8/3 free/drive back to Vegas
8/4 fly back to HI

Questions: I've read in the forums that Bryce is beautiful and cooler. Where is this in relation to Vegas/GC/Zion? Is it possible to add it on as a day trip? Any suggestions / tips for the above itinerary? MAHALO!
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Hi, I just posted a trip report from our trip last week traveling with our 3-1/2-year-old. We did not find the over 100 degree weather that unbearable since we stayed in the parks and were able to get early starts and take breaks during the day. I do suggest you consider at least staying in Springdale if possible. This will save you a lot of time each day. We loved hiking down into the Hoodoos of Bryce and our son really enjoyed that adventure. I had been to Grand Canyon South Rim before and enjoyed the intimacy of the North Rim much more, but it depends on what your expectations. This change especially if you could budget in a stay at the memorable Grand Canyon Lodge would allow you to fit in a day at Bryce. Bryce from Springdale could be done but better to stay at Rubys just outside if you are not able to do Bryce Canyon Lodge?
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 03:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Any chance you can get lodging at the north rim of GC on 7/30?
See Bryce in between Zion second day and north rim.
Don't go back to St. George for a second night.
There is no sense in driving to Williams to take the train to the South Rim. Just drive to Yavapai if you have a reservation secured there. You might enjoy doing something in the Page area (river rafting?).
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM

1) Do not stay in St. George and drive back and forth to Zion. St. George will be intolerably hot and is an hour away, so that doesn't help with your plan to hike early. Try to get lodging in Springdale.

2) Bryce is about 2 hours from Springdale. 3 hours from St. George. It is not realistic to do it as a day trip, considering you don't really have that much time in Zion as it is. Most people spend a day/overnight at Bryce, and 2-3 days at Zion.

3) Grand Canyon Railway is generally regarded as a waste of money and/or tourist trap. It departs from Williams and goes to the Grand Canyon - since you'll already be at the Grand Canyon, there's really no point in riding the train to Williams. Scenery is nothing to get excited about.

4) Most people just spend one night at the Grand Canyon. Unless you are doing a lot of hiking, that is plenty. I would guess with 3 small kids you won't do any major hikes, and they will not be real impressed with the views after a few hours. I'd stick with just an overnight and use that extra day elsewhere.

Here is what I would suggest:
7/28: arrive in Vegas
7/29: Drive to Springdale, visit Zion
7/30: Zion
7/31: Morning in Zion, drive to Bryce, overnight there
8/1: Drive to Page, Arizona with a possible side trip to Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park. Near Page, visit Antelope Canyon, do a float trip down the Colorado River or splash around in Lake Powell.
8/2: Drive to the Grand Canyon, enter at the East Entrance, sightsee all day.
8/3: Grand Canyon in the morning, drive back to Vegas with a stop at Hoover dam in the afternoon, hit the hotel pool to cool off.
8/4: Fly back to HI

There is lodging available at the Grand Canyon on 8/2 (Maswik Lodge).

You can go tubing down the Virgin River just outside Zion in the afternoon to give yourselves a break from hiking and the heat.
http://www.zionadventures.com/gear-rentals/zion-tubing/

Your original itinerary had you driving from St. George to Grand Canyon - that drive is just as long as the drive from Bryce Canyon to the Grand Canyon. But with my itinerary, you eliminate the 2 roundtrips from St. George to Zion which saves you 4 hours of driving. So with my plan, you would drive less and see more. The only obstacle is finding lodging in Springdale and Bryce.

There is availability at Ruby's Inn (right outside Bryce) on 7/31. The catch is if you enter 2 adults and 3 children it says they are booked, but if you enter 2 adults and 2 children they have available rooms. I would think Ruby's would fit well with you since you have children and Ruby's has some touristy stuff that might appeal to them.

I didn't look to see if there's lodging in Springdale or Page but I would suspect there is.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:07 PM

Um, the OP has 3 small children. Can't imagine they can do river rafting with such little ones.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:28 PM

I hope that you'll follow the great advice everyone is giving you - don't stay in St George. You'll waste so much valuable time for no reason. Plenty of lodging options in Springdale - just need to do a little research.

WhereAreWe provided a great itinerary - don't skip Bryce! It is so incredibly beautiful and the hiking is amazing - it might end up being the kids favorite! If there is room at Ruby's, grab it! There are plenty of kid-friendly activities there too.

I can't say much about Page but the lake might be fun in July. If you haven't been to the Grand Canyon, you should definitely do the south rim. It is MUCH more crowded than north rim, but the views are significantly more dramatic. North Rim is lovely and way less people but views are limited.

I really hope that you'll decide to stay in Springdale - you will be so glad that you did. Have a great trip!
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 04:38 PM

One other thing: I would make a reservation for Springdale but then try to get a room inside the park at the Zion Lodge.

http://www.zionlodge.com/

It is booked up right now but call every day, maybe even twice a day to try to get a room. It will be so much easier for you to stay inside the park - the only cars allowed in the main canyon are lodge guests, everyone else must park in Springdale, then either walk or take a shuttle to the visitor center in Zion, then take another shuttle into the main canyon. That will be a pain with 3 children and it will take extra time every morning to do all that shuttling around. Staying at the Zion Lodge would eliminate a lot of hassle and wasted time. Even if you can only get it for one of the 2 nights it would still be worth it.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Other than the rafting with little ones WhereAreWe has a good itinerary.

Bryce is much cooler than Zion due to an extra 4,000 feet of elevation. The whole family will enjoy Bryce.

Stay inpark where ever possible. Call, call, call for cancellations. This is prime cancellation time for your period.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 06:47 PM

Just to be clear, I was referencing the smooth water trips on the Colorado near Page, not a whitewater rafting trip. I figured it would be ok with kids but certainly not a necessity, just a suggestion.
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 07:08 PM

Take a look at this recent trip report for some ideas as well.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...reschooler.cfm
Old Jul 9th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone!! I did read your trip report, Chris--many thanks. Encouraging about the heat. WhereAreWe--have completely revised our itinerary to mimic the one you suggested. I've tentatively booked a few places in Springdale (had chosen St. George as a timeshare option that touted proximity to Zion), and intend to continue calling Zion Lodge twice daily. I've booked Ruby's in Bryce, and a Courtyard in Lake Powell. Am thinking of doing the half-day afternoon rafting trip near Page as well--thanks, WhereAreWe! Most of the outfitters require a minimum age of 5, but Colorado River Discovery allows 4-year-olds. That will be great since we cut out the GC Railway (son is a train fan, but I think the rafting will more than make up for it!) It should also satisfy DH since he was hoping to hike a bit into the Canyon--not sure if would be doable with our tribe.
Can anyone recommend a couple of good maps--one that shows all these locations, and perhaps a detailed driving map?
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 02:54 AM

On my wife's laptop so all thumbs - but google away and you can find plenty of maps - but there is pretty much one way to get to Bryce from Zion and then you double back a bit on that road to go to the South Rim. There is also a road to the North Rim but for your first trip - recommend the South Rim with more lodging, free buses that go along the canyon rim, etc.

To Page is about a 3? hour drive from the South Rim and the float trip is fun.

Your DH can go below the rim - and hike a little on the Bright Angel? trail if he wants - while you all hang back at the room, go to the IMAX, have ice cream floats, whatever.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 02:55 AM

Also - try www.mapquest.com for detailed driving instructions.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 02:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I agree. I use Google Maps and it's a very easy route.

In you situation with the kids I'm a bit conflicted about Rubys versus inpark lodging.

Rubys is right outside the entrance and is almost a resort though not the level of a resort.

Inpark puts you right on the Canyon rim between Sunset and Sunrise points but no pool.

Then again, Bryce doesn't usually have the heat of the lower elevations.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Great, sounds like the drives are pretty straightforward. Thank you, tomsd! So i've been double-booking everywhere in case something in park opens up...near Zion I've got Pioneer Lodge in Springdale, but via Park reservations system I've asked for 1st choice Zion Lodge (no luck so far) and 2nd choice Zion Mountain Park (which says it's 3 miles east of Zion Park?) I just received confirmation for the latter, but am wondering if anyone has any advice on this. Hold out for Zion Lodge? Pioneer Lodge or Zion Mt. Park?
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

fyi, I just spoke with reservations at Zion Lodge, and a tip for those looking for last minute reservations--people apparently have until 48 hours before arrival to cancel without penalty, so it's best to wait until close to the date of your arrival before calling daily (or twice daily) to see if there is availability...I think on their recommendation we will stick with Zion Mt. Resort...
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM

You want to hold out for Zion Lodge. Zion Mtn Resort may be 3 miles from the eastern border of the park but it is not a convenient location. To get to Zion Valley you'll have to go back into the park among slow traffic as newbies ogle the landscape then wait at the one way tunnel entrance which can be a long wait if you have to wait for a convoy of RVs to come through. Then down the switchbacks to the valley floor. Staying in Springdale would be much quicker and you have multiple dining options. There's not much out toward Mt. Carmel Junction.

Keep calling the Zion Lodge....I'd be amazed if you don't snag a cancellation. It may be a nail-biter but hang in there.

I'm sharondi's husband btw.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 02:55 PM

Also, I'd be calling every day or twice a day now...don't wait...you ARE close to your date of arrival. You may not get cancellation until the last couple of days but it would be a shame if you missed one that came up earlier.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 06:30 PM

Here is my trip report on zion with children:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...ids-report.cfm
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM

Best lodging for kids near Zion: Desert Pearl Inn or Cable Mountain Lodge (see trip report referenced above). Lots of room, pool, in Springdale so easy to get to restaurants etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -