VBRO

Mar 11th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

VBRO

Two couples going to Lake TAhoe are deciding whether to do a VBRO rental. I know they are popular---but how do you know someone isn't going to take your $$ and run? I noticed the VBRO site takes no responsibility for fraudulent properties. Any suggestions of how to make sure our transaction is safe?
Mar 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM
ltr

If you click on the "Rental Guarantee" button, you will see that it is insured up to $5000.
Mar 11th, 2009, 10:04 PM

"I noticed the VBRO site takes no responsibility for fraudulent properties. " Wherever did you get that idea. Their "Homeaway" guarantees you. Now - if the place really doesn't exist, you would get your $$ back, but that wouldn't find you another place at the last minute. But at least you would not be out any money.
Mar 12th, 2009, 04:11 AM

I have used vrbo in excess of 50 times & had one problem w/a property that was not as advertised + we had no water, needed a 4 wheel drive to get to it, wasn't safe for my kids etc. Vrbo went to bat for me & I received a 100% refund. Use them freely.
Mar 12th, 2009, 05:18 AM

The condos owners have to pay I think almost $200 a year to be listed. So it isn't like craigslist where anybody with a keyboard can create fraud.

We've used them several times and were never not delighted.
Mar 12th, 2009, 06:39 AM

Many times you'll find that VRBO listings are hosted by commercial rental agencies. It seems that "VRBO" is often a misnomer.
Mar 12th, 2009, 07:20 AM

BiC - I have never had that happen. I mostly deal w/lock boxes or picking up the key under the mat, or rock, or whatever. Cyberrentals does tend to have differing types of properties on their site though.
Mar 12th, 2009, 07:22 AM

We are renting two cabins in Montana this summer through VRBO. I did an Internet search and a Trip Advisor search on how to choose a good VRBO property and the main thing I learned was to ask a lot of questions of the owner, preferably over the phone rather than through e-mails. I talked extensively with both owners and got a good feeling from each (as well as getting my numerous questions answered.) I'm feeling confident about my choices and I hope I can come back and report that everything worked out fine.
Mar 12th, 2009, 07:39 AM
cd

We have rented VRBO for many years and have only been disappointed once. (The unit's furniture and carpet were stained.) Talk to the owners directly over the phone and ask many questions, ie: who takes care of your property or do you live nearby and take care of it yourself? How often are the blankets and bedspreads cleaned? Make a list of your questions before you call or you'll forget to ask something that's important to you.
Mar 12th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Hi! I understand your concern. As one who has used VRBO many times and as one who has a VRBO property in Lake Chelan, WA. I love this concept. I know I welcome phone conversations with potential renters, and I sometimes discourage them if I think they are too young (have since required 25 and older--parents with kids is okay) and just want to party hardy or are trying to cram too many people in (which means damage to the place).

I wouldn't be overly concerned. Ask questions. And as an owner, we can manage our properties ourselves or use someone else, but that person knows our expectations. Most of us are "hand on."

Enjoy!
Mar 12th, 2009, 08:53 AM

I too have never had a problem with a VRBO rental.

One note of caution. To qualify for that "homeaway" guarantee you MUST register it BEFORE you send even a deposit payment to the owner.

And do realize that the guarantee has nothing to do with your not liking the place. It is only a guarantee that the place exists and it will be available to you when you get there.
Mar 12th, 2009, 09:00 AM

As I said before NEO, when I had problems, they stepped in, no problem. Our cabin description was lacking some info. Like you probably should have a four wheel drive to get to it. That the water was gravity fed & rarely worked. That hot water was even more difficult to come by, that the railings on the top level deck were practically non-existent & barely safe for me, let alone my 2 small children, that the electricity frequently goes out & poisonous snakes are fairly abundant. We found out lots from the neighbor who was helping the homeowner. Interestingly enough, the homeowner had changed the info on the website, almost before we got home.
Mar 13th, 2009, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

I feel much better now. I didn't read the guarantee carefully. I am planning on calling the owner--and will follow the suggestion to make a list of questions. I really appreciate all of your responses.