Vancouver

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 07:36 AM
Irene

Vancouver

Going to Seattle, overnight, then up to Vancouver and back to Seattle within the space of 5/6 days. No idea as to whether its best to rent a car for 4 days or so, and drive on to ferry on V.Island and have a accommodation base in say Victoria or nearby, or not bother to rent a car at all and just use buses/ferries to get to and from V.Island and Gulf or San Juans. How's getting around without a car in these places, as I've heard there can be hours waits to get a car onto some of the ferries? Want to see as much as possible, but is it best to have a base accommodation (two adults, two girls), and if so, where would be a wonderful, quiet, base in and around that area, easy to get to islands, etc. So - car or no car...Also, any info re side trips up the inside passage for a day, or part way into the fjords for a day trip? Many thanks.....

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 11:41 AM
FerryPhil

I would recommend the following. First, rent a car in Seattle. There is no problem taking it into Canada. We have done it many times. Take the ferry from Anacortes, WA. to Sidney, BC. Anacortes is about 60 miles north of Seattle. Sidney is about 20 miles from Victoria, BC. The Anacortes ferry is the most scenic one of all as you go through the San Juan Islands. Just be there good and early in the morning. It gets crowded in the summertime but I have always made it even at peak times. I would then stay in Victoria for a night or two. Victoria is a delightful place. Now you have several options. You can take the BC ferry from Schwartz (sp?) Bay to Tswassen (sp? ). Schwarts Bay is about 17 miles from Victoria out by Sidney. Tswassen is about 30 miles from Vancouver. Please remember that the distances are guestimates and I could be off by a couple of miles. This ferry trip is also quite scenic though not as nice as the Anacortes trip. Another alternative would be to take the BC Ferry from Nanaimo, BC to Horseshoe Bay, BC. Nanaimo is about 65 miles up the island from Victoria. It is a very pleasant and scenic drive. Horseshoe Bay is about 25 miles from Vancouver and is a pleasant drive into the city. This ferry trip is not as scenic as the others but the drive up the island is very nice. All of these recommendations are based on summer travel. You can stay a night or so in Vancouver. There are many other alternatives but I believe that these will give you the best opportunity to see the most interesting things in the very limited time that you have. Good luck and have fun

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 09:44 AM
Irene

Thanks for your message. However, I cannot take a ferry from Seattle to Anacortez because I am taking the train fromSeattle to Vancouver, then probably renting a car and getting a ferry across to Vancouver Island somehow. Any ideas as to which departure point to get the ferry to the Island? Also, are the gulf island and San Juan's fairly similar or is one more touristy than the other? And how do I get the car back from say the Gulf Islands to Seattle? Many thanks. Any accommodation ideas in Vancouver, Sooke, Gulf Islands or San Juans and Seattle?

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 11:16 AM
Betty

I too think you should rent the car in Seattle. You would pay a large premium to rent it in Canada and return it in Seattle. If you want to spend a day or two exploring Vancouver, just drive up from Seattle. It's an easy trip. Then you'd take the ferry from Vancouver to Victoria with the car aboard. You do spend time in line with the car, but it is not too bad. The car is parked and you can get out and move around. We stayed at a LaQuinta near Seattle 2 nites, in a downtown hotel in Vancouver 2 nites, downtown in Victoria 2 nites. We had no reservations but didn't have a problem. The distances are too far to try to stay in one place.
The Anacortes trip is beautiful, and I'd do that if
you've already visited Vancouver City. Just be sure to inquire about drop off charges if you plan to rent a car one place and return it another. It is usually a shocker! Its a beautiful part of the world.

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 04:30 PM
alison

hey!! My friend and I are planning to travel to usa then onto Canada where we hope to pick up some work. We want to know where is the best place to buy a car/van, prices? As we plan to drive accross the country. Also any info on getting work and where to go ??? Also does anyone know of some good music festivals/venues?? Cheers.

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 12:41 AM
Jen Z

I'd skip the car rental, in Vancouver anyway. The Skytrain in Vancouver is very simple to use, and very convenient. To get to the ferry, go to the bus station (at the Main Street SkyTrain station) and get a bus "to" Victoria. The bus will drive you right onto the ferry, then you can go sit upstairs, and return to the bus when you get to the Island, and the bus will deliver you to downtown Vicoria. Then, if you must, rent a car. If you rent it in Vancouver you will waste time and money. To drive a ferry over it costs about 50$ each way, just for the car and driver (more on weekends and holidays), with 9$ extra for each extra passenger. Plus it is not uncommon to have to wait for hours in peak season, especially on the Tsawassen-Schwartz Bay route. If you take the bus on you won't have to wait.

On the Island you can rent a car and do some Island hopping in the Gulf Islands (not as expensive). Saltspring Island is kind of the most busy, popular one. North and South Pender Islands are equally nice. If you'd like to drive up Vancouver Island (the Malahat drive is quite beautiful) and still see one of the smaller islands, try driving up past Parksville/Qualicum and going to Hornby Island, which is by far my favorite of the smaller, easily accessible islands off of Vancouver Island (and I lived in Nanaimo for eight years, so I should know). OR, skip the smaller islands altogether and drive all the way to Long Beach/Tofino/Ucluelet and spend a night up there. It will take your breathe away.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 08:07 AM
Sally

I am going to Vancouver for 5 nights. Should I split
up the trip by staying in Vancouver a few nights and Victoria the other nights. Originally, we were planning on staying in Vancouver all 5 nights and making day trips. Should we reconsider?
Also, we are driving to & from Vancouver from Seattle. Is it best to put the car on the ferry from Victoria on the return to Seattle?

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 10:03 AM
bad boy

I love you!!!

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 07:35 PM
David

To SF Clarke - if you are renting a car in Vancouver, you would need to return it to Vancouver or else be charged with a huge one-way fee, especially if you turned it in at Seattle. I suggest that you use public transport in Vancouver - the Skytrain is great - and take the bus from Vancouver and onto the ferry to Victoria - most of the interesting areas in Victoria are near downtown anyways and you could stay near there. One place to consider in Victoria is Abigails - 250-388-5363 - they may be on the internet too.

Old Aug 6th, 1998, 08:24 PM
Caryl

I agree with much of the above advice. I was in I took a trip to Vancouver two summers ago with my mate. We stayed downtown and took the Skytrain to the bus station, took a bus to Victoria which took us onto the ferry very easily just like the previous poster said. We stayed in a beautiful room at Abigail's: pricey, but they may also have less expensive rooms. (It's gorgeous.) We stayed at Barclay Mansions in Vancouver, right downtown. Not at all fancy, but it was like an apartment with a kitchenette. Let me know if you need more details. Vancouver is a WONDERFUL city!!

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 04:25 PM
Susan

I,too, am wondering about how best to see Victoria and Vancouver. We plan to fly into Seattle next June and rent a car. I would appreciate any information from people who have been there. We have about 10 days to tour the area. I am interested in how best to get from Seattle to Vancouver or should we go from Seattle to Victoria via ferry. Also would like information on accommodations others have found that they would recommend.
What sites should we be sure to see?
Thank you,
Susan

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 09:57 PM
Vic

You have several alternatives available to you. My favorite route is take the Anacortes ferry to the island. Note, all distances are approximate. Drive 60 miles north of Seattle to Anacortes,WA. Take the ferry from Anacortes to Sidney, BC, Canada. Sidney is about 20 miles from Victoria. The Anacortes ferry travels through the San Juan Islands and is a very scenic trip. Stay in Victoria a couple days or so. Make sure you visit the Butchart gardens. Drive up the island from Victoria to Nanaimo. It is about 65 miles and very scenic. You should stop along the way to see some of the sights. Take the ferry from Nanaimo to Horseshoe Bay which is about 25 miles from Vancouver. You can then drive back to Seattle via I-5. There are other routes but I feel that this is the most scenic.

You are better off to rent a car. Rent it in Seattle. You won't have any trouble taking it into Canada. I would stay part of the time in Seattle, Vancouver, and Victoria. Divide your time according to what you wish to see and do. Public transportation is OK within the cities.

Check the "Travel Web" site for accomodations in the various areas. They have the rates, descriptions, and you can book on line if you wish. I use it all the time. Often their rates are lower than booking directly. Their URL is: www.travelweb.com

Good luck and enjoy.

Old Aug 16th, 1998, 05:04 PM
Susan

To Vic, thank you for your help. This sounds like a good route to take. I'll check the website you suggested for accomodations.

Susan

Old Aug 22nd, 1998, 03:31 PM
michele

I made a trip to Victoria/Vancouver from Seattle in early June- rented a car at Sea-Tac, and took the Princess Marguerite from seattle to victoria. It's probably better to drive up to anacortes and take that ferry- the one from seattle was quite expensive. I made all of my ferry reservations in advance and had absolutely no problems, since there is a separate queue for cars with reservations. You can visit the Ferry Traveller website (not sure of the html right now) for all schedules, US and Canadian. I wasn't as impressed with Victoria as I was with Vancouver and the Sea-to-Sky Highway- I drove to Whistler and then took the skylifts to the top of Blackcomb mountain for a true mountain-top experience I'll never forget- and I wished I'd allotted more time for Vancouver City (i had only a day there.) I stayed at the Green Gables Inn in Victoria and it was quite cheap and pleasant- good location. In Vancouver, I stayed at the Buchan Hotel. It's a European-style budget hotel (i.e., shared showers, although there was a WC in my room) within walking distance of Robson st. I would recommend it, too.

Another idea that makes for a lovely trip is to take the ferry from Mukilteo north of Seattle over to Whidbey Island, then drive the length of the Island up to Deception Pass- breathtakingly beautiful views, and after a few hours of country road-type driving, you'll wind up in Anacortes for your next ferry.