Van Nuys, California General Information Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cousin's daughter is relocating to Van Nuys and she (my cousin) is very worried because she went on the internet and read all about the crime statistics, gang related problems and illegal aliens there. Apparently there are many affordable apartment complexes that house students. I am wondering if this town is different than any other town in the Valley or LA area with a diverse population. I tried to tell her that the rules of common sense apply everywhere because there are criminals everywhere. Nothing I say is helping and I guess I'm just looking for someone with in depth knowledge of the area to say something positive that I can pass along. Thanks.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 08:45 AM
Jun20

There is a section of Van Nuys that would cause concern. However, she could readily detect an area to avoid. With the mention of apartments for housing students, I would hope she could get some direction from the school. What school will she be attending? The Valley is a large area, and it all runs together. One doesn't necessarily live in the same "zip code" they attend school.

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 09:31 AM

The prior post is correct, some areas of Van Nuys are safer than others. Generally (there are exceptions), the further from "downtown" Van Nuys the better, although as Jun20 points out, it's just one continuous area. Tell your cousin her daughter should avoid living near Van Nuys Blvd, between Sherman Way and Burbank Blvd. That's really the worst part of Van Nuys. Much preferable is to live adjacent to the city, either south, (e.g. Sherman Oaks) east (e.g. Studio City) or west (Encino, Tarzana etc).
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The statistics that she is reading are correct. Avoid Van Nuys. Sherman Oaks to the south and Valley Village are better choices. Bus system through Van Nuys is decent. Where is she going to school?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

I just found out the apartment is on Cedros Avenue near the Sherman Oaks border. That's good, correct?
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:24 PM

Just curious if the young lady is street wise. Is she a city girl or a country bumpkin? Of course everyone wants their child to be safe and sound, but where exactly on the planet is that going to be? I have a friend whose 30 year old daughter has been living in the Washington Heights (although now I hear it's been renamed Hudson Heights) section of Manhattan since she was 22 without incident. I also know women who live in various parts of the Bronx and the city also without incident. I don't know how good or bad Van Nuys is, but constant vigilance is important no matter where you are. I remember reading several years ago that Frank Sinatra's wife Barbara was walking with a couple of friends in Beverly Hills from one house to another when they were robbed at gunpoint. They gave up their jewelry and no one was hurt, but the point is that happened in Beverly Hills where everyone's home posts an armed response warning.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

School is Cal State Northridge for theater. However, she also works as a stand-in on a tv series and does background work on tv and in movies so her hours vary. Hopefully, she will beat the odds and make it in showbiz so where she can afford to live won't be an issue. By the way, when she first moved to California she lived in an apartment across the street from the university. A lot of the apartments off campus house very rowdy young people and as a result there are fights, etc. and the police are called in.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 12:40 PM
Jun20

It sounds as though she is familiar with the area, and has probably made a good choice. Anything with a lower number than 5600 on Cedros, would be south of Burbank Blvd. Van Nuys-Sherman Oaks area.