Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Valley of the Dolls, Moki Dugway, etc. in rental sedan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a last-minute question. We would like to drive through the Valley of the Dolls, Moki Dugway, Muley Point, and Goosenecks State Park tomorrow, but we have a rental sedan (no 4-wheel drive). Do you think any or all of these would be okay in this car? If not, is it possible to get a guide with a jeep in Monument Valley or Mexican Hat (any specific recommendation)?

Thank you very much!

Len
Old May 8th, 2010, 02:32 AM

Valley of the Dolls lol...not sure about that but, if it hasn't rained recently then you should do fine with these three places although the Valley of the Gods might be tricky in a very low riding car.
Old May 8th, 2010, 03:11 AM

We were there on Sunday and Moki Dugway was a little slick due to recent wet weather and cold temperatures which made the areas of the switchbacks that were shaded still wet. Valley of the gods had two low spots that still had 4 to 6 inches of water in them and is rougher and longer than Moki. Goosenecks was fine. People were going down Moki and in VOG in regular cars, but I was glad to have a Jeep.
Old May 8th, 2010, 06:40 AM

Agree with above posts, the Dugway looks scary because of the 500 ft drop-offs with no rails but it's a well-graded gravel road and rarely a problem for basic rental cars. Use low gear if going down instead of riding the brakes and you should be OK. No problems going up.

I think the restrictions are for RV's over 23 ft (or 27?) and anyone towing a boat larger than X feet (maybe 18 or 20? can't remember). These restrictions are due to a handful of hairpin curves with limited visibility around the curve, they are worried about larger vehicles making the turns and taking up part of the 2nd lane.

The worst part of the Valley of the Gods road is usually close to highway 163. I especially remember a streambed crossing that can be a problem. It's typically smoother near the Dugway entrance where the B&B is. So you can either start from 163 and if you make the first few miles you're likely OK, or you can start from 261 (near the Dugway) and have relatively smooth driving for a while, then turn around if/when it gets dicey.

The Goosenecks road is paved, no problems.