Valentine's Day in NYC

Search

Valentine's Day in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valentine's Day in NYC

I'm surprising my wife with a (short) trip to NYC over Valentine's day.
Any suggestions for pre or post theatre dinner reservations on Valentine's day? (and when I should/can make them) We are seeing Chicago at 8:00. Something romantic without being outrageously priced would be great.
Thanks.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Explore this website for options:

www.opentable.com

Be aware that V-Day is an INCREDIBLY busy night at Manhattan restaurants, and some offer "overpriced" prix fixe menus ...

make reservations early ...
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 11:55 AM
GoTravel

Valentine's Day is a lot like New Years Eve, amateur night. Restaurants will be super busy with fixed menus, expensive, and sub par service.

Instead would you consider a fabulous lunch instead? You could eat at some of the best restaurants in New York for less than half the price and a much nicer experience.

Plus, you will not be so full during the show.

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:49 PM

I have to agree with the others. We learned long ago that going out to dinner on Valentine's Day is a waste of time and money. Even the best restaurants are overbooked, understaffed, and have limited menues. Your meal is rushed, the service non-existent, the food is not up to usual standards and the price is often much higher than normal. The whole evening is far from the romantic meal everyone invisions.

Consider doing lunch instead as GoTravel suggests or you might just be better off getting room service at your hotel.

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Extrememly limited menus and they will try to get you out so fast it won't be worth taking your coat off.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Smaller restaurants won't be so offensive ... Spigolo ... Le Gigot ...

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 02:17 PM

I'm with everyone else. Many, many places will have prix fixe menus which are not only limited but much higher than usual prices. Many places, when unusually heavily booked, just do not provide the same quality of food and level of service they would on a normal night.

Worst is that a packed restaurant is really, really, loud and hardly romantic.

Have your Valentine's dinner the evening before!

My recommendation would be to consider a very nice late lunch at one of the nicer restaurants (Jean Georges, Daniel, Bouley, etc.).

Or, find a smaller, appealing place, away from midtown. Menupages.com is a terrific resource for selecting NYC restaurants.

The last time we went out to dinner on Valentine's Day (at a very nice and one of our favorite places), they just could not keep up and it was a miserable experience. Service was terrible, food took forever, then was not prepared to their usual standard and was not hot.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM

An old boyfriend wanted to take me to One if By Land for Valentine’s Day. When he called to make a reservation the man on the phone said in low voice “listen, you really don’t want to come here on Valentine’s Day. It’s anything but romantic. Go somewhere else that day and come here ANY other time.”
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 08:44 AM

I agree with everyone else and will add that I rarely find a pre theater meal romantic. You just want to eat and get to the theater.

Some options are a long, late-ish lingering lunch and then go somewhere for a light bite after the show (and maybe some music) OR do a nice dinner the day before or after OR do a romantic late afternoon fancy tea and then have bite after the show.

Some ideas for a nice lunch that would be special--L'Impero near the UN has a prix fixe tasting menu for lunch.

Bouley (downtown in Tribeca) has a wonderful prix fixe lunch (ask for the red room)

The Sea Grill overlooking the ice rink at Rockefeller Center might be fun.

For afternoon tea, the St. Regis hotel has a great one with unlimited food. The Mandarin Oriental hotel has a wonderful view.

Some place for after theater for dinner and music--Iridium for jazz, Dizzy's Coca Cola (with a view) for jazz.

If you just want a restaurant near the theater, ViceVersa is near and has a prix fixe dinner that, I think, is good either before or after theater.
http://menupages.com/restaurantdetai...=0&cuisineid=0

The 21 Club would be a special place and they have a pre theater menu.
21club.com
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 09:38 AM

Can only reiterate what other have said.

First, dinner on Valentine's Day is mobbed, NOT romantic, you won;t get the best of the restaurant and will be rushed to get to the theater

Second - it's best not to combine the great dinner and the show - either before or after - since that way you don;t really enjoy either fully. (Watching a show on a ful stomach/rushedmeal isn't fun - and afterward you usually want somethng light - wthout the mobs of Valentine's Day.

Agree on either great dinner the day before or after - or a great late lunch and a nice walk before the theater. You'll enjoy both much more.