Vail ski rental question

Search

Vail ski rental question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vail ski rental question

I will be going to Vail for my first time in February. Our first day there will be at the peak of the peak season, February 19. I plan to rent skis, and I am wondering if I should try to reserve them in advance. The vail.com website is pushing rentskis.com (Vail Sports), but I'm sure there are a zillion other places, and I'd like to hear an objective opinion.

I should mention that we will not have a car, and we will not be able to rent anywhere other than in Vail itself. We are staying at the Willows and Riva Ridge condos, which are right in Vail Village, and therefore both convenience and price are key. We are arriving really late the night before, so we will want to pick up our skis somewhere near our condo and hit the slopes!

Oh, and if it matters, we're intermediate skiiers (once or twice a year).

Thanks very much!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:51 PM

We just returned from Vail in early January and rented skis from Breeze ski rental in Vail Village. Their location was very close to the VistaBahn lift and the guys in the shop were nice and the we all received pretty decent equipment. You can store your skis there overnight as well for free which was nice.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:48 PM

Vail's website connects you through rentskis.com to Vail's ski rental place. Reserving ahead of your trip saves time when you arrive. Vail will keep the skis you rent from them overnight so you don't have to haul them through Vail village. You can rent standard rental skis or you can get better, high performance skis. If you don't like your skis or you need an adjustment, they can do it on the mountain.

We always rent through Vail because it is so easy. You can probably get a better deal elsewhere. We go for convenience, rather than the deal.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM

Mattydale,

We just got back last week and we were in the same situation. DO NOT..i repeat...DO NOT rent through the rentskis.com via Vail Sports. We did and regreted it. We were beginners and recieved poor customer service. Plus, they told us they would store ours skis free overnight, but would charge $5/day to store our ski boots.

I was told by many locals to rent from Christy Sports. I wish I had but I already had made the reservation before I left. I saw some coupons for 20% off rentals I believe at skicoupons.com Also, i know I passed them in the Village. Give them a call and ask or look on their web site.

You will love Vail. If you have time..check out the Alpine Dogsledding. It was a blast.
Old Jan 24th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

That's great, thanks so much for the advice!