Vail, Keystone, Breck, or Where?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm coming into Denver in mid-January for work, and my husband and I decided to do a long weekend prior to the trip and go skiing. We're trying to decide what area would be the best place to stay, and need some help. We're early 30's, no kids, and beginner skiers. We would like some place with some atmosphere and a little nightlife, though it doesn't have to be anything big. Any help on the best area and suggestions on lodging would be great. We are willing to pay a little more to get a good location. Thanks!
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 03:30 AM

You should look into Beaver Creek, 10 minutes from Vail. Compact, beautiful, excellent service, and GROOMING twice/day on some runs!

Look up their WEB SPECIALS and you are surely to get a great deal.

All other 3 are good as well.
Old Dec 28th, 2003, 08:23 AM

We have found the conditions at Keystone a bit icy.

Breckenridge has a fun town to poke around in at night. We really liked the Hunt Placer Inn, a B&B right on the shuttle route.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 06:55 AM

Agree with Gpaul, Beaver Creek. Nice thing about BC is that the green runs are at the top of the mtn, then Vail, then Keystone, Breck would be my last choice. From BC you can take the shuttle to Vail for some nightlife, great dining in Vail, but the Mtn can be a bit much for beginners. Take at look at www.vailnet.com for lodging ideas
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 07:18 AM

Having stayed at Beaver Creek over thirty times I agree with the above posters. BC has excellent skiing with smaller crowds than Breck, Keystone, or Vail. However, nightlife is very limited and it is a pain to ride the bus into Vail. I would say if the priority is on skiing, stay at Beaver Creek. If you are more into dining and nightlife options, Vail is hard to beat. They have done a pretty good job recreating an Austrian ski village and is a great place to walk around to shop, eat, drink, etc. I am not a fan of either Keystone or Breckenridge.
Old Dec 29th, 2003, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

What about staying in Minturn? It seems like it is in the middle between Vail and BC.
Old Dec 30th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Tess

I think you'd be fine in Vail--that's where I learned to ski (many many moons ago, to be sure). I'd suggest at least a half day of lessons, though, if you're newbies. Coskier's right in that the mountain can be intimidating if you're a beginner. There are, however, plenty of beginner runs and the nightlife sounds like it's what you're looking for.