Search

Vail Colorado

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2010, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vail Colorado

Good Afternoon, I am going to have surgery in Vail 10/6/2010. My father will be going down with me to be my driver! I will not be able to get around for a few days following the surgery without crutches....so any ideas as to what I can plan for my father to do so he does not go stir crazy in the hotel. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge! Also ideas for dining would be appreciated too. Thanks again, Loni
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does your father hike, cycle, fish, golf, ride horses? Weather-willing, there should be many options for him. I think the gondola will still be operating for pedestrians/hikers and mountain bikers. Look for combo tickets of a ride up plus lunch.

You should peruse the Vail website:

http://summer.vail.com/summer/

Here's a website that describes several drives (some near Vail) to view fall colors. The drive from Vail to Leadville goes past the site of the WWII camp where the 10th Mountain Division trained. You can actually drive around on the remnants/shadows of the roads that ran through the camps, and there are interpretative signs throughout the site to help you understand what you're looking at. We thought it was very interesting.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/weat...59/detail.html

Where is your hotel? There's no point in recommending restaurants that will be difficult/impossible for you to reach on crutches. Most of the Village and Lionshead are closed to cars.
Old Sep 27th, 2010, 09:21 PM

Do a google search for a fly fishing guide in Avon, Edwards or Vail and send him out for a day-long or half-day lesson on Gore Creek or the Eagle River.
Old Sep 29th, 2010, 07:27 AM

I second the scarecrow's idea. If dad likes to fish, but isn't into fly fishing, he can go up to Turquoise Lake (just a mile or two west of Leadville) and fish near the dam on the SE corner of the lake. It's a pretty lake in a gorgeous setting.

For a nice get-out-of-the-hotel-for-awhile drive, head east on I-70 out of Vail to the top of Vail Pass where there is a nice rest area at exit 190. Get off the interstate here and as you start heading into the rest area there will be a road on the right leading uphill and signed as Shrine Pass Road. Turn onto this road. I believe it starts off as paved, but quickly turns to very hard packed dirt, and can be driven just fine in a regular passenger car. Within the first mile it will crest Shrine Pass, then head gently downhill to follow Turkey Creek all the way to the hamlet of Red Cliff and U.S. Hwy 24. Turn right onto Hwy 24 to get back to I-70. Before getting back on I-70, turn into the little town of Minturn and walk around.

Along Shrine Pass Road you should catch some nice glimpses of the 14,005 foot summit of Mount of the Holy Cross to the west. Unfortunately there won't be any snow packed into the crossing vertical and horizontal couloirs near its summit that lend this mountain its distinguishing characteristic during the late spring and early summer - but you can use your imagination.

Shortly after dropping from the crest of Shrine Pass there will be a large off-road parking lot on the left (GoogleEarth GPS coordinates: 39 deg 32' 45.75" W, 106 deg 14' 29.49" W) that serves as trailhead parking for an easy hike along some trails that are full of wildflowers in the summer. Unfortunately the wildflowers will be gone by the time you're there, but it's still a nice easy hike with some pretty views. If he hikes, tell him to be mindful of the weather. Very bad weather can spring up quickly at any time of year, but especially during the fall. Turn back at the first sign of snow. Bring a backpack or day pack with extra clothing like fleece or wool in case the weather turns, some water and food (even snack bars are better than nothing), his cell phone, and a compass. Even on easy trails like these people have been known to become disoriented and lost when snow starts to obliterate the trails.
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Hello everyone, We are staying at the Sonnenalp--close to where I will be having surgery! Thank you for all the great ideas, I know that he will appreciate having in insiders view!!Thanks again for your time!
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 05:08 PM

We forgot to say, "Good luck with your surgery!"
Old Oct 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM

And I forgot to give some restaurants recs close to your hotel.

The Bully Ranch in the Sonnenalp is good for casual, brew-pub food. Sort of in the same building, but the entrance is separate, is a Swiss fondue restaurant. The name escapes me.

On the corner across the street from the Sonnenalp (and the Swiss fondue restaurant) is a good Italian restaurant, La Bottega.

If you're more mobile, Sweet Basil is probably the best place in town. In the same building as Sweet Basil but on a lower level and opposite side (facing Gore Creek) is Blu's. Casual, eclectic menu.

If you like German-Austrian food, Pepi's in the Gasthof Gramshammer Hotel just a little farther away from your hotel than Sweet Basil and Blu's. If you have a craving for Mexican, Los Amigos near the main lift area in the Village. And near the transportation center is Pozzo's for pizza.

Many restaurants in town will deliver through A La Car service.

http://www.alacarvail.com/