Denver/Breckenridge Family Trip

Jul 17th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Denver/Breckenridge Family Trip

Our family of 5 (3 kids - 18,14,11) will be flying into Denver, staying there for 2 days and then driving to Breckenridge for 5 nights. Any help with the following would be greatly appreciated:

* Any recommendations for a reputable white water rafting company.
* Is Peak 8 worth it? If so, for a full or 1/2 day?
* Where do you get information on good hikes from Breckenridge?
* Heard Leadville is nice - what do you do there?
*Any other fun ideas/suggestions???
Thanks!
Jul 17th, 2004, 02:40 PM

We just returned from Denver and Breckenridge last week, you are going to love it there.

For rafting, we used River Runners for a 1/2 day trip down Brown's Canyon. Our guide was great, the scenery was fantastic, and the raft trip was lots of fun. I highly recommend them. They are in Buena Vista, it took us about 1 hour and 15 minutes from Breck.

Our kids, ages 9 and 12, loved Peak 8. It is worth it for a half day. They offer a pass for 9:00-12:30 of unlimited use. The brochure does state that it is only valid for one turn on the tramp; however, it is not limited. The alpine slide is fun, there are two "beginner" slides, and one for faster sliders. Even my mother-in-law had fun on the slide, so I guess you're never too old!

If you check on-line, the single ride prices add up quickly, so the half day is a good value (although still expensive, as I recall it was around $50 for kids).

If you are staying at one of the lodges/resorts, your concierge should have good info on hiking. I'm not sure where you are flying from, one thing to keep in mind is that it takes a few days to become accustomed to the elevation change. It might be better to hike near the end of your trip.

There are lots of great restaurants and shops downtown also, that is another way to spend an evening.

Jul 17th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Lots of people enjoy Peak 8. There's an alpine slide, mini-golf, scenic rides on the chair-lift up the mountain (you can walk, mountain bike or ride the lift back down), a maze, a zip line, "power bounce" and climbing wall. There are half-day and full-day passes, but I don't know what they include. Our kids go on the slide (you can get 5-ride passes) and the maze, so buying the items individually makes sense for us. This is a popular area, but nothing much different from what you can get at many other tourist destinations that aren't in the mountains.

There is a tourist information office on Main St.; I believe they have info on some of the hikes. There are several small hiking books you can buy, if you want, with multiple day hikes. Good short-hike destinations with great scenary (and some old mining stuff) are Mohawk Lake, Blue Lake, Crystal Lake, McCullough Gulch. Also, Mount Royal, Vail Pass or Lilypad Lake. Ask the tourist office for more info, or your concierge, or let me know I can give you specifics.

Leadville is a former mining town (as is Breck). There's a good mining museum there (but you pretty much have to be interested in the topic beforehand), and a nice narrow-guage railway ride (though IMO it lasts a little longer than my patience does). Keep an eye out for the old Climax mine on the way to Leadville, and the huge environmental effects caused by the mine.

Other ideas: drive up Boreas Pass; the views are great and the station house at the top of the pass is interesting. There's also a hike up there to the top of the ridge.

Cowboy Mine, just east of Breckenridge in French Gulch, is a nice mine tour and a chance to try panning for gold.

Vail can be good for a day trip; it has a lot of the same stuff as Peak 8 does (up at Eagles Nest), after a gondola ride. If you like shops and good restaurants, this is a good place. Booth Falls is a scenic hike just outside Vail.

There's biking available everywhere. Mountain biking at Peak 8 (riding DOWN a mountain on a bike is not my idea of fun, however). Biking on a bike path you can do from Breck, Frisco, Keystone. There's a path that links all those towns. It's 9 miles Breck-Frisco (deceptively downhill from Breck), about 6 Frisco-Dillon, and 5? Dillon-Keystone.

Depending on when you'll be in Breckenridge, there are concerts in the evenings and often events on the weekends in either Breck, Vail, Keystone, Frisco, etc.

Have a great time!
Jul 17th, 2004, 06:50 PM

I would definitely recommend a day trip up to the Rocky Mountain National Park. Just head north to the western edge of the Park, drive through on Trail Ridge Road, back down the eastern side and back to Breckenridge.
Jul 18th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

We would love to go to RMNP but assumed it was too much to do in a day. How long of a drive to RMNP? Any daytrip details would be appreciated.
Jul 18th, 2004, 09:05 AM

hike - trail to HangingLake - it is gorgeous - take plenty of water and sunscreen. Ypur concierge will probably be able to give you directions.
Jul 18th, 2004, 03:29 PM

We went to Breckenridge when our kids were early teens. It's been a while, but the biking was fun. We rode all the way to Copper Mountain. Had planned on trying to make it to Vail via bike, but I was ill-prepared for such a venture. At any rate, it was a great day, and we look back on it fondly. Jean
Jul 19th, 2004, 08:22 AM

look at summitnet.com for rafting outfitters. Hiking around Breck, it is everywhere. Favorite the Colorado Trail. Take Tiger rd past the golf course about 2 miles look on the left for the "Dredge Boat" parking area, if you hit dirt rd you missed it. Walk the same direction as you pulled in about 1/2 milearound a gate then you will see power lines take the trail to the right, it is marked with the Colorado Trail marker, a mountain image.

A pretty easy hike is the peak to peak trail it is past the Peak 8 area keep going a short distance, parking area on the left. This trail is best during the week days as it gets very bust with Mtn Bikers on weekends.
Jul 19th, 2004, 08:29 AM

PS Leadville does not do much for me. I would go to Vail for a day trip, take the Gondola up and bike down, "Up the Creek" for lunch, great people watching, sit outside, it is on the river, ok food, great staff. It really is all about watching people play in the water.

In Breck my favorite restaurant is Cafe Alpine. If your going to be in Breck on a Sat night check out the free concerts at Dillon Amphitheatre. Also a fun place for lunch in Dillon is the Tiki Bar at the Dillon Marina you might want to take out a canoe, kayak or pontoon boat late morning for an hour or two then have lunch.
Jul 19th, 2004, 11:44 AM

I would guess it is about an hour and a half to drive to the western entrance to the Park. Drive through the Park on Trail Ridge Road--or drive into the Park, look around and come back down the same road. It is a very doable day trip. we have done it from Denver.