Chicago for Christmas?

Search

Chicago for Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2003, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chicago for Christmas?

We are interested in spending 3-4 days before Christmas in Chicago. Do you think this is a wise idea?
How windy it gets in December?
How do we need to get dressed? heavy coats and boots?
What is there to do during this time of the year? Any "the must" museums, theatre plays we should get tickets for?
We are thinking about staying in one of the Marriott's property. Is 201 E Walton well located?
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 10:59 AM

Average daily high for that time is 33, nightly low 16.
That's very cold considering that downtown near the lake it's usually windy, regardless of season.
There are only 6 clear days per December. One in three days sees precipitation.
Obviously that means you need to be dressed to be prepared for the worst, though occasionally sun will drive the temps up into the 40's.

201 E. Walton is the Residence Inn. That's actually a good location. Not right on Michigan Avenue, but close to most of the sites of the Magnificant Mile.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 12:47 PM

Michigan Avenue is a great hustle and bustle before Christmas; it's a lot of fun! The Walton Street location will be quieter than the hotels right on Michigan, and it is only a short walk from some great shopping.

Tea at the Drake is a holiday treat; so is a performasnce of "A Christmas Carol" at the Goodman Theatre, and viewing window decorations on State Street. The Christkindl market (holiday crafts from Europe) is set up in Daley Plaza after Thanksgiving.

YES, you will need a good quality winter coat and winter boots. You must be from the South! If you have leather boots that will fit over a pair of wool or cashmere-blend socks, those will do. You could try the same with your warmest coat - add a good layer of wool, or borrow a northern-winter coat from a friend. Some people add silk long underwear, but it is mighty inconvenient when you spend most of your time in overheated buildings. Don't forget a hat and warm gloves, and don't be tempted to go out at night without them. You'll see Chicagoans out and about without all this, but we are used to it - December rarely gets super cold, but January and February can be below zero for several nights in a row.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 01:13 PM

I think December is a great time to visit Chicago. Yes, it will be cold but there is something about shopping on Michigan Avenue after the Christmas lights are up. I always spend a day downtown with my girlfriends for tea and shopping. We like Tea at the Four Seasons best but have also been to the Ritz Carlton and the Drake which are nice, too. The Museum of Science and Industry has a Christmas Around the World exhibit every year where they have Christmas trees from around the world. It is a a very nice exhibit. Hairspray is opening here on December 16 so you could try to get tickets for that. If you want to do something to get you more in the holiday spirit The Nutcracker and Christmas Carol are always here, too. There is also a Marriott which is about 500 N. Michigan Avenue that you might consider. Dress warm and have fun!
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for a number of interesting ideas. Any more?
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:39 AM

chicago is great at the holidays. The Magnificent Mile is lit up with a gazillion tiny white lights and looks beautiul at night. Its really pretty when you dine somewhere that is located on an upper level, overlooking Michigan Avenue. Grande Lux Cafe (a Cheescake Factory offshoot)has a great view (and great desserts) as I recall. Marshall Field's flagship store has really cute animated windows for the holidays.
My favorite musuem in Chicago is the Art Institute, my kids like the Shedd (aquarium) and hubby likes Science and Industry, so you'll find something for everyone.
Like the other posters said, dress in layers and bring warm clothes. It can be really cold and wet (rain or snow). I live near Buffalo, NY (you know, the place they show on the news with 5 feet of snow all winter long) and I think it's colder in Chicago than here in Buffalo.
I don't recommend the Marriott that's right on Michigan. It's ordinary and there's so many nicer choices avaialable. The Residence Inn sounds like a nice option.
Have a great time.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 10:57 AM

I agree with everything these guys have said. Chicago is absolutely beautiful and COLD during x-mas time. I think it's worth it though! Definitely eat the pizza there--very yummy.. If you are looking for a place to stay, I would check out Orbitz. I believe they are actually having an essay writing contest right now where you can wiin a free trip and hotel stay during the holidays. May be worth checking out? Good luck and have fun!
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Rachel and flyfaraway. We are coming from Maine so we'll have enough warm clothes with us and we know about cold winters. It sounds like Chicago is a great place to visit right before Christmas.

We are thinking about "Manet and the Sea" exibition at the Art Institute. Should we buy tickets in advance or count on buying them at the museum on the day of our visit (it will be December 23rd or 24th).

I have one additional question about tickets for this exibtion. We checked schedule of this museum and it is open at 10:30 am but the first tickets are sold for 9:30-10 am. Is there a special entrance for this kind of temporary exibtions that will let us get in before museum is open?

Flyfaraway, we already got our reservation at the Residence Inn. We feel that $96.00 for one-bedroom suite with breakfast and a full kitchen facilities is a decent price for pre-Christmas season. We get double Marriott's points too.

Is there any great, famous, the best pizza place near Residence Inn that will delivery in the evening? We are arriving around 7 pm and will be too tired to go out our first evening
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:14 PM

If you do a search for Chicago there are a couple of posts in the top 25 that address what to do at Christmas

When the trip gets closer you should also check out www.Metromix.com which is affiliated with the Chicago Tribune. There were a couple of excellent articles last year on holiday ideas that were posted right after Thanksgiving.
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Kristi, I am in a process of spending lots of time on www.metromix.com and will continue after Thanksgiving. Thanks
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:26 PM
GoTravel

Do not even think about visiting without a hat, scarf, and gloves in addition to a warm coat.

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 12:28 PM
mrt

It could be zero or snowing with 12 inches of snow. It has also been in the 60s at Christmas (many years back). Dress warm! There are plenty of things to do: Pick up a travel guide such as Foddors or Frommers and do some homework
Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:11 PM

It's hard to know what the demand for Manet tickets will be as it's not open yet, some of the more popular ones like Monet it's been hard to get tickets for.

If it's something you really, really want to see you might try calling the Art Institute and finding out how far in advance they recommend ticket purchase. You will also be here during a holiday week so you may find the museum more busy during that week. If you purchase in advance, the tickets will get hit with a $4.25 convenience fee per ticket plus $2.60 for handling.

I imagine all of the downtown pizza places have delivery in the evening, here's a few ideas in no particular order:

Giordano's at 730 N. Rush
(312)951-0747

Lou Malnati's at 439 N. Wells Street
(312) 828-9800

Gino's East at 633 N. Wells St.
(312) 943-1124

Pizzeria Uno at 29 East Ohio
312-321-1000

Pizzeria Due at 619 North Wabash Avenue
312-943-2400

Old Oct 2nd, 2003, 02:58 PM

And I forgot to add that if you're up strolling on Michigan Avenue and want a little break, stop by the Terra Museum of American Art at 664 N. Michigan Avenue. In addition to the regular collection, there's a George Bellows exhibit until January 11, 2004. It's free with a $5 recommended donation. The museum will actually be closing for good in October 2004.

http://www.terramuseum.org/
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Krisiti for your suggestions and all info on the Terra Museum. It sounds like museum we would enjoy to visit and not only for George Bellows exibition but A View From the New York Times Photo Archives and Painted Impressions from the Collection. If it wasn't for you we would miss this interesting place. Thanks
Old Oct 3rd, 2003, 06:10 AM

You might want to look into joining the Art Institute to assure tickets to the exhibit. Sometimes it's only a little more to join a musuem, than to pay admission, plus admission for the special exhibit. Or, if you're a member of another art musuem, there may be some sort of reciprocity.
another interesting thing to do in chicago is to visit the ummmm (I cant think of the name, the merchantile exchange maybe) but its like the stock exchange. Unlike Wall street, you have unlimited access to watch the trading from a gallery. It's in the loop area-a healthy walk from the Art Institute.