Vacation rental home on Maui

Aug 1st, 2004, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Vacation rental home on Maui

Has anyone stayed in the Ohukai Beach Estate main house in Kihei, Maui? I was wondering if the road seperating the main house from the beach was heavily traveled. We will be 8 adults with two very small children so looking for a safe beach and home. Thanks for your input!
Aug 1st, 2004, 03:41 PM

You will be mauka (towards the moutains) of south Kihei Road. South Kihei Road is a busy road, but it is not as busy up on that end as it is further down. The speed limit is 20 mph, but you will need to be on the lookout for people who think that does not apply to them. Ma Poina Oe Lau Beach park is right there, but do beware that is very windy there, which makes for good windsurfing, but not so much a pleasant day at the beach. Because of the wind it is also very dusty. I have friends who live right there and all they do is complain about the wind and dust. And certain times of year it be fragrant. When are you planning to visit?

I am not fmailiar with this particular rental, but in about 20 miniutes I am heading up to that area and I will take a look at it and report back to you. The neighborhood is hit and miss, with a lot of older, gamier properties plunked down next to newer, gated homes. Ohukai in particular has "personality." it is not an usafe area, just rather lived in.
Aug 1st, 2004, 08:55 PM

I drove by and walked across the street. The property itself looks very, very nice, but do be aware that it is in an older, kind of rural residential area, with a lot of very lived in properties around it. I am being kind in the that description. The rental is walled and gated and seems very private.

The walk across the street top the beach is not for kids. Traffic is lighter here than down at the better beaches, but the cars move a lot faster than the speed limit and the view of cars coming from the south is obstructed. The beach itself might be a disappointment for kids, since it is a very narrow strip of sand--not really much place to play in the sand. But there is little to no surf here. The water laps right up the hill. I have not noticed any algea this year. Sometimes that is a problem in that area. There is a nice beach park here above the beach, lots of grass, barbqs, picnic tables.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:32 PM

thanks, hunnie and 2Maui -
we have reservations for the very same property in early Jan.
can't do much about it now, since we've already sent in deposit, etc. surrounding property won't bother us (we're 8 adults also, but NO CHILDREN - YEAH!), but i do really want a nice beach. the fact that it's just a narrow strip of sand is ok, but i keep thinking about what 2Maui said about wind... will it be unpleasant sitting at the water's edge - too much sand in the air?
thanks again!
d
Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Dear here-today-gone2Maui,
Thanks for the info on the rental house! We will not be going to that one especially with kids, I will keep on looking! Again thanks for driving there and "checking it out" what terrific service!!!!!!