Search

Utah Vacation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 07:09 AM
Jessica

Utah Vacation

I may be vacationing in Utah at the end of November. We want to see Salt Lake City and then maybe travel into Zion. How far is it between SLC and Zion National Park, what are the best hotel deals I can get inside the city and in the park. What can I expect weatherwise. Also!!!! what areas must I avoid in SLC (as far as "wouldn't be caught dead in at after dark.. kinda thing you know!) Thanks.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:45 AM
lucky

It has been a while since I have actually driven from SLC to Zions, but I am thinking it is bout a 4 hour drive + or -. You might check for what small hotels or B and B's are available in Springdale which is a folksy little town located near Zions. Actually, if Dayle reads this post she will be able to have more specifics. I have learned that she is the voice of authority regarding Utah. Even though I have lived here all my life.
There are many hotels in SLC that should not be a problem. Late November can be the opening of ski season and most hotel rates at Park City and surrounding resorts will spike up. I would probably recommend the downtown Hilton, Hotel Monaco, or Marriott as far as location and convenience. November can be very wintery and snow could be flying, or it could be shirt sleeve weather also. However, on balance I would say it will not be extremely cold. Probably a fairly substantial jacket or sweater will get ya buy. A heavy winter coat probably will not be needed.
There are a few areas in SLC that you would not be wanting to go to after dark, but any of the areas that you would be walking in downtown SLC or that may be of interest to the average visitor are safe.
Have a nice time.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 09:29 AM
nina

Jessica, My husband just came back from a biz trip in SLC last night and raved about the Hotel Monaco. He liked it as well as any Four Seasons he's stayed in, and it was only $129/night! He said the furnishings were beautiful, they have complimentary wine and massages in the lobby evenings, and if you're lonely, they even give you a "loaner" goldfish to take to your room. I'm not kidding.

Anyway, if you haven't booked a hotel, you might want to try this place.

He didn't have much time for sightseeing but drove about a half hour out of SLC to Park City. Siad it was very, very nice, charming quintessential Ski village. Said the Olympics coverage didn't do it justice.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 09:30 AM
nina

Oh and as far as weather, he called me from Park City Wednesday where it was snowing already.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 12:20 PM
diane

It's unusual to have snow so early, and they're likely to have several more weeks of warmish weather before it turns cold again. I believe the drive down to Zion is 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Whatever the temperature is in SLC when you are there, it'll probably be 10 or 20 degrees warmer in Zion. (Utahtea, am I right?)

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 07:46 AM
steve

We stayed at the Howard Johnson's in downtown SLC. Nice, $65 per night including an ok continental breakfast. Not too far from Temple and other downtown sites.

In Zion, consider staying in the Lodge. Our room was $117. Springdale isn't too bad though, since it is just outside the park and has a shuttle that takes you to the park entrance where you get the park shuttle.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 03:21 PM
OliveOyl

We hiked Zion and Bryce at Thanksgiving last year. The leaves (cottonwood) in Zion were beautiful, bright yellow and just beginning to fall. Driving into the park was allowed once again, and we decided this might be about the best time to see the area, as I'd rather not deal with buses, but be on my own schedule to see and do as I pleased, when I pleased.

Day time temps seemed cool initially, but as our hikes progressed, we were thankful for it, and usually ended up peeled down through the layers to T-shirts by the end of the hike. Our last day there it snowed. The hikes were over though, as we had to leave to catch mid afternoon flights out of LV, and seeing snow on the peaks was a real treat. It was so beautiful!

Lodging inside Bryce had closed by the time we were there, and we were unable to get more than one night in the lodge in Zion, so stayed at Rose Cliff, not far from the entrance to the park. It was about double what we had paid at Ruby's in Bryce, and furnishings were about equal--$150-160 range as I recall for an OK room, but we'd do it again in a heartbeat!