Search

Utah parks

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 11:28 PM
ilo
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah parks

I want to make a round trip by car from Las Vegas through Bryce and Zion Parks, Lake Powell and the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I need help with a recommended route and how many days it takes.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 11:09 AM

enter Utahtea in the search text box above and you will find a lot of information on this subject.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 08:09 AM

Just returned from a southwest vacation. Here's what we did:

Day 1: Flew into Las Vegas (arrived 8:00pm) - spent the night in Vegas.

Day 2: Drove to Zion, spent the day, stayed in Springdale (directly outside the park).

Day 3: Day in Zion, stayed in Springdale.

Day 4: Drove to Bryce, horseback riding and day in Bryce.

Day 5: Sunrise at Bryce, drove to Capitol Reef via Rt. 12, afternoon in Captitol Reef. Stayed in Torrey, UT.

Day 6: Drove to Lake Powell, tour Antelope Canyons. Stayed in Page, AZ

Day 7: Day on Lake Powell with rented boat. Stayed in Page AZ.

Day 8: Drove to N. Rim. Day in N. Rim

Day 9: Drove back to Vegas. Original plan was to stay the night in Vegas but since we passed back through Zion on the way, decided to stay in Springdale, UT. After 8 days focusing on the wonderful landscape, we just couldn't imagine finishing our trip in Vegas.

Day 10: Flew home.

What would I change? Personally, I would spend as little time as possible in Vegas - it is so incongruent with the rest of the trip. I would allow for more time in Bryce and the N. Rim (we didn't have time to explore as much as we wanted to).

If you have any questions or need more info on our trip, please post and I'll reply. If you search you'll find lots of great info on this site. Search Utahtea - she's an expert who has posted tons of info.

Have fun!

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 11:40 AM

JCee,
I'd appreciate learning where you stayed in Springdale and Torrey and what you thought of the lodging.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 03:18 PM

When we did this, we had to do a roundtrip from Albuquerque. Our first overnight stop was at Lake Powell, then after driving by the vermillion cliffs we spent the next two nights at Bryce Canyon. Then, after spending most of a day to Zion, we drove on to Las Vegas (whose incongruity we really enjoyed...talk about going from the sublime to the ridiculous and the authentic to the phony!). I think we spent 3 nights there. Then we went to the NORTH rim of the Grand Canyon for 2 nights, which was going from the ridiculous to the sublime and the perfect respite from the craziness of Vegas. We then stayed one night in the Winslow AZ area. On our last day we went through the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest on our way back to Albuquerque.

I know this is a little different from the schedule you have, but maybe you can adapt it.