Search

Utah Drive/Hike

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah Drive/Hike

Have been planning our 19 day end of August driving,camping, hiking trip to Utah and N. Arizona for a few months now. We have our airline tickets to Vegas. We have tent sites booked at Zion and Bryce and two nights hotel on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Have read and thoroughly enjoyed every guide book and web site I can find. Have been reading Ed Abbey and Wallace Stegner and looking at photos by Eliot Porter for some history, natural history and cultural immersion. I am most intrigued by the area of Rt. 12 between Bryce and Torrey, and suspect we should spend some time there, as well as around Capitol Reef. We plan to do 3 to 6 mile day hikes on our trip. Will hike to Calf Creek Falls. Am curious about peoples favorite places on the trails and back roads in this vicinity. Exactly how hot will it be? Should we count on thunderstorms regularly in August? Are there places to swim? How crowdwed and developed are the Boulder and Torrey areas? I noticed some public campgrounds on Boulder Mtn. Are they worth staying at? Will be renting a jeep. Which (non technical) byways are must see? Is it worth taking some time away from Bryce or Zion to go to Cedar Breaks? Are there really still wild flowers there in August? Any other suggestions for reading, as I have four long months yet to wait? FA
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Anonymous Thank You.
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 07:33 AM

Hi Freddle,

It sounds like you are really doing your homework! I'll see if I can give you some of my opinions on your questions.

No, personally I would not take time away from Zion or Bryce to visit Cedar Breaks. It's pretty, but very similar to Bryce and not as spectacular. It's kind of a long drive just to look over the edge.

Yes, you should spend time in Boulder and Capitol Reef. How much total time do you have?

Yes, it will be HOT. Zion will be around 100, Bryce upper 70's to lower 80's due to much higher altitude of 8,000 ft. Calf Creek Falls hike will be HOT and crowded, go very early, like 8am.

Yes, you will have thunderstorms, especially at Bryce and Capitol Reef. Usually in the afternoons so do your hiking EARLY in the mornings, which you will want to do anyway due to the heat.

You can swim at Calf Creek Falls and go tubing/wading in the Virgin River at Zion.

I checked out a Natl Forest campground on Boulder Mtn. It's the usual, pit toilets, water, high altitude = cold at night, in the aspens. The campground I saw was quite small, just a few spots. The drive up Boulder Mtn between Boulder and Torrey is very beautiful with wonderful views. I think I would recommend camping at Capitol Reef over Boulder Mtn. The Capitol Reef campground is lovely, but fills early. You should arrive by 9 am to be sure of a spot.

For hiking: start early! Take more water than you ever think you will need, because you WILL need it. Also, something like Gatoraid. Hat, high # sun screen, and food to keep your energy up. People always underestimate the dry climate and intense sun.

One of my favorite byways is the drive to Hell's Backbone. Very appropriately named! It is a long drive on a graded, gravel road that takes off from Hyw 12 just past Escalante. Awesome scenery, but you will have to decide if you have the time. You have to go slow on the road, but it can be done in a regular car.

Have fun!
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Dayle! If we forego Cedar breaks we will have more time for side trips around and on the way to Capitol Reef. All told we will probably spend 4 to 5 days in that area, before we head out to Mesa Verde. I was very much planning on camping at Fruita. What does a person do around there while avoiding the afternoon sun? I read that Teasdale is an interesting place to visit? FA
Old Apr 10th, 2005, 03:09 PM

Hi again Freddle,

Teasdale, I drove out there once. Not sure what the attraction is. It's a very old, funky Utah rural town.

A siesta is always a good idea following an ambitious morning hike! Most of the hikes in Capitol Reef are very exposed, but n the Hickman Bridge hike, there is a nice shady spot under the rocks. It's right on the trail though, so unless you're really tired you might just consider a picnic.

In the Fuita campground and picnic areas there are lots of big cottonwoods, grass and lovely shade. Take along a blanket and some wine and you're all set!

The heat of the day would also be a good time to check out the Visitor's Center, the historic farm home, and the 1 or 2 little galleries in Torrey.

I don't know if the Cafe Diablo in Torrey is open for lunch, but if it is - that's the place to go! You will probably need res for either lunch or dinner there.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Dayle.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I agree with Dayle on skipping Cedar Breaks. IMHO, it's just a mini Bryce and Bryce is much better.

In the little town of Escalante there is the Escalante Petrified Forest State Park and there is a lake to go swimming in. Very nice on a HOT day! The petrified forest hike isn't all that great for the petrified wood but there is a nice campground with showers!

http://www.brycecanyoncountry.com/petrified.html

The Burr Trail is a very nice drive from Boulder, Utah. I would drive back the same road because the Noton - Bullfrog trail is bumpy and not as scenic as I thought it would be.

There are primiative campgrounds out that way, but we've never camped there. There is also a nice campground at Calf Creek but it's usually full and hard to find a place to camp with our motorhome.

Utahtea
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Utahtea!