Search

Utah Canyons

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Utah Canyons

I'm moving to Las Vegas at the end of the year and driving through Colorado on I-70 and going through Utah to Vegas. I would like to see the 5 National Parks in Utah or at least a couple of them on my way there (Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, Bryce & Zion). Are you able to drive around in the winter and see alot or do you have to hike to some of the scenic spots (which I'm not doing in the winter-besides have to get to Vegas in a timely fashion).
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:43 PM

My own opinion is by all means visit these five parks. They can all be enjoyed without hiking. Since I have bad knees and am of a certain age, my hiking days are long gone, but I have seen such wonders driving around these beautiful parks. Hikers may question this, but you can always return later and hike all you want.

It is a dry country, so snow should dry up quickly.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:48 PM

P.S. Maybe you already know (thanks to Utahtea) one of the best drives is state highway 128 from Cisco, off I-75, to Moab. Also state 12 from Torrey to Bryce Canyon.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

No I did not know about that road (I'm from Indiana). I'll make some extra time for the parks then. Thanks for the info.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:42 PM
TheWeasel

Blondie-Not sure what you'll be driving, but no matter what, make sure you check on road conditions in Colorado and Utah before driving across. I-70 goes thru the mountains in CO and can be shut down at times due to the weather. I'm guessing a major storm could also affect I-70 thru parts of Utah.

Bryce could be tricky in winter because of snow. The good news is that you'll live close enough to drive up for a weekend whenever you want. And yes, Hwy 128 from Cisco to Moab is well worth your time to get to Arches.

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Hi Blondie,

Yes, do check the road conditions. Hwy 12 from Torrey to Bryce goes over a high pass and Bryce itself is at 8,000 ft. Heavy snow is normal in winter.

By the way, we actually have 6 Natl Parks! We share Great Basin Natl Park with Nevada!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

I bought a new Highlander Hybrid right before gas hit $3 a gallon which I love and hopefully that will help my gas expense a little. Yes,I plan to check the weather in case there's road closings. My alternate route is through St. Louis, Tulsa, Amarillo and through New Mexico to Arizona. I know I could get snow that way too. Just keeping my fingers crossed.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 10:06 PM

If you can get across Colorado on 70, you can drive down to Moab and see Arches and Canyonlands. You may have to go back to 70 to continue to Las Vegas, however. My sister and I made a round trip from St. George (near Zion NP) to Moab and back in mid-March a couple of years ago. We couldn't do much walking around in Bryce because of snow on the trails (some of which were closed entirely), and when we drove up hwy. 12 to Torrey, we got snowed on!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 10:48 PM

I've never been in winter, but you can see Arches, Capitol Reef, Zion along with scenic Hwy's 128 and 12 from your vehicle. At Canyonlands and Bryce you will have to get out at the overlooks to see the scenery, but no hiking is required.

Utahtea