Utah Accomodation Help

May 19th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Utah Accomodation Help

Have just returned from Utah/Arizona/Colorado and thought I'd post a note about some accomodation in cae it helps anyone else.

Just a note regarding the Sorrel River Ranch in Moab since everyone appears to be planning trips at the moment! This place has the most spectacular setting but a couple of warnings. The restaurant is over priced for the quality of food, you can get better quality food for a more reasonable price in Moab (Buck's Grill House is excellent, eat on the patio). The rooms are small and the decor is OTT, you definately need to ask for a room as far away from the pool as possible since screaming children was not my idea of a peaceful retreat!! Overall a pleasant stay but expensive.

Saying that, you should definately stay at the Desert Pearl Inn in Springdale if you are visiting Zion. The staff are exceptional, especially the gentleman in the coffee/gift shop. The rooms are large and comfortable and the view was spectacular.

In Salt Lake we stayed at the Little America and the staff were very helpful and it was great to meet John the concierge who's an ex-pat Brit. They kindly upgraded us and we had a huge room in the tower with great views of the mountains.

Hope that this might help people, let me know if you need any more info!

Regards, Kate
May 19th, 2003, 07:25 AM

Hi Kate, thanks for the great trip report!

We've been to Arches and Canyonlands, but we're planning to see Arches again this summer, and stay overnight in Moab. We have ressies at the Best Western Canyonlands Inn, supposedly in the 'middle' of town & shoppes, chosen from the lower rate, and teen daughter's shopping addiction

Did you happen to notice it? Is it indeed a good location, etc?

Thanks for tip about Buck's Grill House, too!
May 19th, 2003, 11:06 AM

Best Western Moab is in a great location, right in the centre of town - looked good to me!
May 19th, 2003, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Yep Best Western is right in the middle of the town amd a great place for shopping (perhaps you'd better hide the credit cards!!) Best bagels and coffee at the Red Rock Bakery (very cool for teenagers). Have a wonderful trip, as a Brit I'm envious of anyone that can get to such a stunning location without an eleven hour flight! Wish we could relocate!
May 20th, 2003, 07:31 AM

Thanks, guys!

Kate, we may not have an 11 hour flight, but we DO log anywhere between 6,000 - 8,000 miles each of the last 7 summers in our mini-van. Those miles are spread over 3-4 weeks throughout MANY western states, and many people think we're NUTS! We however, are the griswolds and absolutely LOVE it.

This summer, our 8th wild west adventure, will likely be our last as 'rusty' in college will certainly make life different

Jun 20th, 2003, 12:14 PM

I will be leaving tomorrow for the Desert Pearl, staying in Zion for 11 days... yikes !! I hope my 6 year old will have a good time, I am really looking forward to it. It's been 3 years !! since my last vacation.