UT, AZ April rv trip itinerary help!

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UT, AZ April rv trip itinerary help!

I am planning a last minute rv trip (at the end of a 10 day Katrina relief trip) and need some input on my itinerary. We are renting an rv either out of Albuquerque or Phoenix (depending on availiabilty of rv). The main goal of our trip is to get ourselves up to Denver (actually Loveland) fairly quickly but we really want to see something great on the way.

Keep in mind that we only have from March 31 afternoon to April 4th to get up to Denver where we have to return the rv.

Option 1
Albuquerque
March 31 afternoon - pick up rv and drive to Flagstaff
April 1 - Flagstaff to Zion Canyon Campground (Do we have time to see the Grand Canyon, South Rim?)
April 2 - Visit Zion
April 3 - Drive Zion to Grand Junction CO.
April 4 - Grand Junction to Loveland CO.

Option 2
Phoenix
April 1 afternoon - Pick up rv. Drive partway to Zion? Where to stop? Do we have time to see Grand Canyon, South Rim?
April 2 - finish drive to Zion (Zion Canyon Campround)
April 3 - Zion to Grand Junction CO.
April 4 - Grand Junction to Loveland CO.

Does any have any better suggestions? We are not stuck on seeing any specific park or site, we just need get from NM or AZ to Colorado and want to have fun along the way. FYI This is my husband, myself and our 4 year old daughter (I'm trying to keep driving time relative reasonable especially for her)... THANK YOU in advance.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 05:10 PM

Hello,
Have you considered flying to Las Vegas and renting there?
3/31 Travel on I40 to Williams AZ and north to the Grand Canyon about 5 or 6 hours. You probably wouldn't have a problem with getting a campsite, but with a Friday night you may want to reserve in advance. Could be a bit chilly, but worth it for at least one night with a couple of short, easy hikes along the rim.
4/1 and 4/2 Leave GC and travel east to Cameron and up through Kayenta to Monument Valley and the area around Moab, Utah. Several wonderful state and federal parks, beautiful scenery, and good camping.
4/3 From Moab on I70 through Grand Junction to Glenwood Springs(wonderful hot springs pool there)for overnight. Camping may be limited at that time of year.
4/4 Denver to Loveland. Or drive Moab to Loveland in one day, which would allow you more time in the parks, that is a bit of a long day-I suppose about 400 miles, but all on interstate if you want.

Of the two options you presented, I would opt for Option 2 and camp the first night at the Grand Canyon. Option 1 is way too much back tracking. Hope these ideas help.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:06 PM

Topping for UTAHTEA,
our resident expert on all things
UTAH!
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:19 AM

I have a hunch you come from the East and have not checked the distances you plan to cover. Your itinerary needs to take those distances into consideration, otherwise your trip will turn into a frantic and exhausting trek across miles and miles. Do yourself a favor and drive less, see more, relax.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:52 PM

We've had an RV for the last 28 years and a motorhome for the last 13 years and I love the lifestyle, but the fact that you have such a short time and where and when you want to go, I'd suggest forgetting the RV this time.

Do you realize that Colorado can get a lot of snow in April? http://www.intellicast.com/Almanac/N.../content.shtml Read "April in the Northwest Rockied"

Have you ever driven an motorhome before? It's a lot more tiring than driving a car. In early April you are looking at just a little over 12 hours of daylight.

OK, so if I haven't discouraged you, I agree with GJLinda, I would look at renting the RV from las Vegas. There's probably a bigger market for rentals there than the other two places you mentioned. It's a fast three hours from Las Vegas to Zion. Enjoy one full day there.

I would then skip the Grand Canyon it's just to much driving.

Depending on the weather you can drive Hwy 12 if there is no snow or stick to the interstates if the weather looks bad. Try and spend some time in Moab, Utah to see Arches and Canyonlands.

Utahtea
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 03:27 AM

Also, check costs of one-way RV rental versus other options - like car rental and paid lodging. There are often not-initially apparent costs such as mileage, mileage overages - and don't forget about gas.