Search

Trip in April 2019-Utah

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip in April 2019-Utah

Day to Day Itinerary
Day 1-Fly in & pickup RV– do shopping & head out to Zion (2 hrs 36 mins) Sleep over x 2 (Day 1 & 2)
Day 2- Zion – Hike, sightsee then Sleep over in Zion
Day 3- Zion to Bryce (1hrs 48 mins)- Spend Day-Sleep over (days 3 & 4)
Day 4 Bryce – Hike, sightsee then Sleep over in Bryce
Day 5- Bryce to Capital Reef (2 hrs 29 mins) to Arches (3 hrs 2 mins)-Moab Sleep over x 2 days (days 5 & 6)
Day 6- Arches/Moab Walk/Drive around -Spend Day-Sightsee, Sleep Over-Moab
Day 7- Arches to Durango (3 hrs)-Sleep over in Durango x2 days (days 7-8)
Day 8- Durango Sightsee, Sleep over in Durango
Day 9- Durango to Monument Valley (3 Hrs) then onto Grand Canyon (3 hrs 9 mins)-Sleep Over x2 days- (days 9- 10)
Day 10- Grand CanyonHike, sightsee then Sleep over in Grand Canyon
Day 11- Grand Canyon to Hoover Dam (3 hrs 51 mins) then onto Las Vegas (38 mins) Sleep over (day 11-12)-Sleep in RV
Day 12-- Las Vegas-Sightsee-Around Vegas-Red Rock, etc
Day 13- Las Vegas- Get hotel room & Walk the strip (Days 13-14) return RV
Day 14-Las Vegas-Enjoy another day in Vegas-
Tues-Day 15-HOME ☹

Is it do-able or are we taking on too much? Any advice would be appreciated
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 01:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't think that you will be saving any money by renting an RV. It is possible that you will still see some snow in a few places in Grand Canyon in April. There are some added costs with renting an RV that you don't have if you just rent a car and stay in motels/hotels.
Depending on when you leave Hoover Dam, you might want to spend the night at the Hoover Dam Lodge (about 3 miles from the dam).
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 04:10 PM

I might skip Durango, but that's just me. I'd leave that for a Colorado trip where you could spend some time at Mesa Verde and the Million Dollar Highway, Silverton, etc. I would want more time in Zion, Arches (Canyonlands). You'll also want to enjoy the drives in between, especially between Bryce and Moab.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 05:02 PM

Ditch the Vegas days--you can always get cheap flights to Vegas. Switch Durango for Canyonlands and stay in Moab an extra day. Know that the drive from Bryce to Capital Reef is HAIRY in an RV. I assume/hope you are an experienced RV driver. And remember that you really can't drive during the dark--in April it gets dark by 8, maybe 7?? Too many animals on the roads--including cows.
Old Aug 8th, 2018, 05:37 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you very experienced RVers? Or are you novices and think it would be 'fun'? I personally would not plan this with a rented RV. IF I owned it and didn't have the rental expense -- maybe. But April is still pretty early in the mountains so you are likely to have some snow in places. Plus the RV rental + gas + campsites will likely cost more than just renting a car and staying in hotels/motels.

>>Day 3- Zion to Bryce (1hrs 48 mins)
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 05:37 AM

Yep it is "doable"

Your trip plan/route is almost exactly what my wife and I did this past April-May April 24-May 5....We rented a SUV and stayed at budget motels w/ free breakfast when we could, light lunch on the road (sandwich fixins, snacks) and had good evening meals. We "road tripped" mainly with no long hikes. There is tons of stuff to see and it is all breath taking scenery. I'd skip Durango and stay overnight in Cortez, CO instead...Mesa Verde NP is only about 15 miles away, Cortez is also close to the Native American Ruins areas at Hovenweep and to the 4 Corners area.....Monument Valley is also close by as is Valley of the Gods....When doing our planning the motel expenses were about the same as an RV rental...some of the roads in areas your are travelling into are not the best for RV's...lots of hills, mountains, twists and very sharp tight turns, Zion has a very narrow tunnel too....wise to book motels early as you can.....when in Las Vegas be sure to take in Valley of Fire State Park, about an hours drive away but well worth it....Happy and Safe Travels...This is a trip of a lifetime...enjoy !
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses & suggestions.