Using restaurant.com for trip to San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever purchased certificates for restaurants in San Diego through this website or through this company over ebay? If so, I'd love to hear what was good. Thanks.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:33 AM

I have not done this, but I have seen them for sale on ebay. If you look at the negative feedback for them, you'll find that many people purchase these and don't realize how incredibly restrictive they are.

Basically, you're buying coupons. I would be very sure to read every last detail of the fine print.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Why would you buy coupons for a restaurant on a website? Does it save you money at the restaurant or what?

I have no awareness of this practice.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:39 AM
yk

I have used restaurant.com certificates (via ebay) many times in Philadelphia & NYC, and also a few times in Dallas & Boston, but never in SD. I think they are a good deal IF it is a restaurant that you're planning to go. Never had a problem using them. As malvado said, make sure you read the restrictions on the certificate before you bid. There are plenty of restaurants that require: party of 4 or more, or valid for dinner only, or NOT valid on Fri-sat etc.

I once bidded for a certificate in Dallas and won, but by the time I got around to use it, the restaurant had closed down. I actually got an email from ebay and said they would refund me if I had not used the certificate yet. I did get my refund.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 08:50 AM
yk

My mistake- It was restaurant.com that sent me the email and refunded me, not ebay.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 09:57 AM

I have used restaurant.com in Chicago with no problems. I didn't know you could purchase these on ebay though. When I purchased mine there was a special where they were 70% off for a limited time. I got $25 certificates for $3 (normally it would cost $10). Anyway, pretty good deal for a coupon.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:15 PM

I have bought these coupons through ebay for restaurants in New Orleans, Boston,Cambridge, Maine, & Tampa. The most I have paid for one is $6.00 and they had a $25 face value. As already mentioned, make sure you read the restrictions. All of them say it is for the food portion only and does not include alcohol. You can also check out their menu before you bid, which is what we did.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I have purchased these and used them in my hometown, so I am aware of the restrictions that some of the certificates have. As long as you pay attention to that you can get a really good deal. I just wondered if anybody has used them at any restaurants in San Diego. I wouldn't want to purchase any unless somebody could recommend a restaurant. I am thinking that maybe I'll just do a search for good restaurants in the San Diego area and then check the website to see if there are any certs for those restaurants. Thanks again.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 12:38 PM

If you tell me the restaurants in San Diego where they accept the coupons, I can maybe tell you if the place is worth it. I have a feeling that it is places doing not the greatest business in the world that feels the need to promote their restaurant this way, but maybe not. There are so many great places to eat in SD and many, IMO, are quite reasonable. Let me know if you want to run them by.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 02:20 PM

I've used the certificates in San Diego before, but many of them now state that they are for dinner only for a party of 4 or more. Make sure and look at the restrictions. Also make sure and do a search for any coupon codes. I recently bought several for different cities at $3.00 apiece. Here's a list of restaurants I have been to and can recommend - Busalacchi's in Hillcrest for excellent Italian, Baci Ristorante in Bay Park, Buster's Bar and Grill in Seaport Village, Seven-17 in the Gaslamp. Most of these places have lots of restrictions. Have fun in SD.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Heavens and Sandy P. - Here is a sample of restaurants listed through restaurants.com: Parkhouse Eatery; La Gran Tapa; Celadon; Buster's Beach House; Bull and Bear Bar; and Baci Ristorante. It looks like you've used certs at a couple of these, Sandy. I may go ahead and get one or two based on your recommendation. I am interested in any other recommendations that you have, even if they don't offer these certificates. When I did a search, I didn't find much recent info. about good restaurants in the San Diego area. We will be in the city 4 nights in the middle of July. We are 4 adults. Three of the four prefer more American-style food, so it is hard to get very creative. We have a car and don't mind driving a bit to get to a good restaurant. Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2004, 03:06 PM

Holly,

Park City Eatery & Crest Cafe may be a good American food choice w/ the coupon fr. restaurant.com.

Other American food w/o the coupons:

Homey: Citi Deli in Hillcrest,Cody (La Jolla)

Fine Dining: Merritage (Encinitas), Top of the Cove (La Jolla), Terra ( Hill Crest), Arterra (in the Marriott,del mar)

Moderate Cost: Bully (multiple location), Beach House (Cardiff by the Sea-- right on the beach, special menu before 6PM), Top of the Cove-- on the Terrace (La Jolla, has early bird menu, too), Brigantine (chain), Cuvee (Del mar), Seau's the Restaurant (Mission Valley, sporty environment)

Steak House: Prime 10 (Del Mar)

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Great restaurant suggestions, Kayla. I'll look into these - thank you.