US vacation?

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 06:31 AM
Smith

US vacation?

Im looking into taking my family on a 2-3wk tour of the states and I was looking for some input on some atractions, and cities that would be nice and important to see, being as we live in england and my family has never been to the states before. We will start in the NY DC area and move from there. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 06:39 AM
Steve

If you come far enough west, you need to see the rocky mts. in Colorado. Will you be driving or flying?

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 07:02 AM
smith

We will be driving in a rented winnabego with mabyea short flight or 2 money is not really a concern but is a factor.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 09:41 AM
Gail

If you're already in NY, drive over to Philadelphia. There are a lot of historical sights and some good museums.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 10:51 AM
Joyce

Come on Down to Atlanta to see Olympic Park, Stone Mountain, High Museum of Art, CNN Center, Atlanta Zoo.
Chattanooga, Tennessee has a Wonderful Aquarium.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 11:17 AM
Liam

You don't say what at time of year you will be travelling, so I will assume it will be summer.

The US is huge - many Europeans fail to realize how big it is, so I suggest picking a particular region of the country and getting to know it. Since you plan on starting in either NYC or DC, I would suggest that you concentrate your vacation in the northeast.

NYC alone will probably take 4-5 days, DC will be worth 3 days. That does not leave much time for driving great distances, so I would disagree with the other poster who suggested Atlanta (which is a good 12 hour drive from DC). Philadelphia might be a good stop since it is rougly between NYC and DC. I would also suggest heading up to New England for a week (Boston, Cape Cod, Vermont or the Berkshire Hills); lots of history, great beaches, museums, and seafood. Boston, aside from being my hometown, is a great city. All of my Irish and British relatives who have visited have come away liking it more than most other parts of the US (it has much more of a European feel than anywhere else in the US).

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 11:21 AM
Beth2

To come to America for a family trip, I think you should try to see things that best represent our country, and are least familiar to home. Therefore, I'd highly recommend the southwest, such as New Mexico, for it's interesting landscapes and native American crafts and artifacts. I am more familiar with the east coast, and would highly recommend the southern Maine coast - or Cape Cod - if you don't live on the coast in England. The Newport, RI mansions are gorgeous examples of American decadence in the early 1900's! If you go to Philadelphia, be sure to explore the Pennsylvania Dutch countryside and Hershey Park. Washington DC (the museums are free), Chesapeake Bay area, and Colonial Williamsburg with the nearby Six Flags amusement park might be of interest. The old south is also lovely, such as Charelestown, SC, or a stop in New Orleans with a riverboat cruise up the Mississippi. Orlando is truly an entertainment mecca with Sea World and Discovery Cove, the two Universal parks, and four Disney parks all within close proximity - but of course that is quite costly. It is also very hot (95*F) and humid in Florida in the summer, and the Orlando area does not represent our country's best landscapes! If you narrow down what types of activities and environments you'd like to explore, time of year, and kinds of accomodations (camper parks, bed & breakfast, luxury inns), I'm sure we can provide more detailed information. Enjoy!

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 11:35 AM
ingrid

I strongly agree with Beth2: You should try to visit places that are unlike Europe. While the East coast is nice, it is not dramatically different from Europe. If at all possible, I'd suggest flying further west and visiting the national parks, such as Bryce, Grand Canyon, possibly Yellowstone.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 11:54 AM
Joanne

I just want to reiterate that the distance between NY and DC might be more than you think -- 200 miles/4 hours, or roughly the same as London to Liverpool.

I also agree that you should try to visit parts of the US that are as different as possible from England, which means getting away from the Northeast. Perhaps a drive that focuses on the state of Virginia -- plenty of history (from the revolution and the civil war, don't miss Williamsburg and Monticello) and scenery (try Skyline Drive). Then head for Kentycky, Nashville, Memphis (jazz, Graceland, Civil Rights Museum) for some real Americana. HOWEVER, if you're coming in midsummer (any time June through early Sept.), you might want to pick an area farther north; most Brits find the heat and hmidity intolerable.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 04:57 PM
BJ

I agree with previous posters; i.e.,
1. Unless you are all 'big city' people with no interest in our national parks, consider visiting at least a few of them. However, in additional to our NATIONAL (under Federal jurisdiction) parks, there are many State parks, so don't forget those.
2. The time of year you visit CAN make a difference. The summer months of mid-June through mid-September can be hot, and in some places, very humid. If possible (school vacation?) some of our best weather is late Spring and early Fall. Also, these prime summer months when most of OUR school system's are on vacation also means more crowds to contend with.
3. Don't under estimate distances. With the USA being 2-1/2 times the size of Western Europe, you will be severely taxed with driving all day, every day, to 'tour the States' in just 2 or 3 weeks.
Example:
Area: total: 9,629,091 sq km
Land: 9,158,960 sq km
Water: 470,131 sq km
Note: includes only the 50 states and District of Columbia

Picking a region and seeing those sights at a more leisurely pace will mean a more enjoyable time for all of you.
Since you are starting with New York (assume city and state), Washington, D.C. is a natural; plan on spending 2 days on just the Smithsonian unless none of your party is interested in museums.
Also, every large city will have its own website so there's lots of info available on the Internet. The Google Search Engine is my favorite at:
www.google.com
Just try typing New York City, New York in its blank box and you'll see what I mean.
Perhaps you and each member of your family could make a list of their favorite things to see and do. Then, use that list when deciding which places interest you and allocating how much time for each.
Post again when you have targeted some cities or activities and we'll try to help with specific information.
Have a great time!
P.S. New York City has a reputation for being expensive but it is no more so than London. Also, you want to arrange your Winnebago such that you don't have it while in NYC; it's densely populated and difficult to drive in and parking is difficult to find and expensive, with public transportation being very decent.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 04:59 PM
BJ

Here is just one website on the parks of New York State:

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/outdoors/

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 05:02 PM
BJ

Here's just one website on Washington, D.C. Hope you find it helpful and useful:

http://www.house.gov/house/tour_dc.html