Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

US Customs... anyone ever checked YES to visiting a farm?

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister (US citizen) will be going to the UK next month and visiting a farm for a few days.
I see the check box about visiting a farm but have never checked the box.
Has anyone ever checked that box?
Does it cause problems with customs on your return to the US?
Thanks, in advance!
OH... in addition, she is a farmer so she will have to check yes on any forms entering the UK as well.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM

We've been to a few countries where the airports have posters talking about hoof and mouth disease/foot and mouth disease. I think the box on the form is an attempt to indicate people who may have come into contact with this on a farm in another country. Apparently it's been eliminated in the US so they keep a watchful eye out to make sure it stays that way. Not sure what type of search or questioning it would subject you to.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A friend checked this box. He went thru a different line. They sprayed the bottom of his shoes and he actually got thru customs faster since it was a much shorter line.

Good luck,

MY
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM

TxTravelPro: Think of the bigger picture--what if they bring back something on their shoes or whatever and introduce it to the US?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Of course check it! They take you aside and spray your shoes. Little inconvenience...better than spreading foot and mouth or such.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:30 AM

I'm thinking this is a useless governmental exercise. How many people travel in the shoes they've worn traipsing around a farm a week before?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 09:31 AM

Yes but it was minor inconvenience and will be doing so again at the end of July.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 10:21 AM

My friend was asked to open her suitcase and get out the shoes she had worn on the farm -- those are the ones they sprayed, not the ones she wore on the flight.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 11:01 AM

It really is kind of a big deal to the agriculture industry to comply with questions like this. And it just requires going to one other "desk".
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 11:40 AM

My husband (UK citizen)did once - we lived on a farm at the time. He was questioned for ages before they let him in eventually. He always answered no after that.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

I did not ask if she SHOULD check it, she is going to a farm and will check the box.
I am asking if anyone knows what she should expect.
I appreciate the responses. Maybe she should keep her 'farm' shoes in a bag close to the top to make sure they are easy to get to, just in case.

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:02 PM

I've had 2 different experiences, once coming from Spain where they looked at the shoes (I don't remeber a spray) and the second from Costa Rica where they did nothing to the shoes, questioned us somemore, and hand checked a bag (that was full of coffee, and other CR goodies) It was no big deal.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM

Have you ever thought about the "stuff" on the bottom of the farm shoes that have been packed in a bag and if ANY of it might have rubbed off on the nearby-packed items? Spraying only the bottoms of the packed shoes..yeah, that's efficient.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"He always answered no after that."

I'm sorry, but that borders on outrageous. (Saying one doesn't have any fruit or food when they do is outrageous too) I live in a major agricultural area and millions of $ have been lost at various times due to pests and diseases introduced by travelers.

It isn't all about the extra 10 minutes it might delay you at Customs . . . . .

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM

Michelle, I'm trying to figure out your "different line" comment. Was that upon return at US immigration? I've never seen a different line to get into for "farm visitors". I'd think you'd have to stay in line with everyone else, and once you got to the desk, they might direct you somewhere else.

If it's in customs, you mention, I have yet to enter a US airport with a line for customs, you simply walk through the "nothing to declare" or "declare" line.

Meanwhile, when would they spray your shoes? After getting your luggage and spreading it all over the luggage area? And I too am trying to figure out the point of spraying the shoes you are wearing (likely NOT the ones you'd have been wearing on a farm) and ignoring all your packed luggage -- much more likely to be "infected" than what you're wearing on the plane. NO?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 12:52 PM

In my friend's case, the yukky farm shoes were in a plastic bag inside the suitcase and she was happy to have the welcoming ag/customs officer to clean them for her.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:10 PM

I haven't done the farm check box, but I did do the one about being around livestock - did mule-trekking in Peru. It confused the custom's guys, and after I explained, they just waved me through.

On arrival in New Zealand, there was a check box for camping equipment (tents, hiking boots) which I checked. This also confused the customs officers in New Zealand. Apparently, it's to prevent wildflower seeds that may have been caught in my tent or boots from spreading. They also waved me through.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We checked off the farm box returning from the UK a couple years ago after a holiday that included a lot of horseback riding. After collecting luggage we were directed to a line with those who apparently ticked the "I have packed fruits and vegetables" box.

We were asked if we lived on or were planning to directly visit a farm or farm community.

We were asked to remove from our feet or luggage the shoes worn in agricultural areas. They were sprayed with something and returned.

We were asked if the clothes we wore had been laundered prior to leaving the UK and were told, in not, that they should be prior to visiting a farm or farm community.

It all made a certain amount of sense and didn't seem inefficient. It wasn't particularly speedy.

We were returning into IAD.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 01:31 PM

I checked the box on returning from French Polynesia and it was totally ignored. Also checked the livestock box. No shoe check. Nothing. This was in 2003.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 02:24 PM

It's been a few years but upon returning from New Zealand I checked the box.
As mentioned in another post, we were taken aside, asked a few questions and actually got through faster than the "regular" line!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -