Reload this Page >

Upstate NY to NYC by train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:14 AM
Don

We will be taking a day trip to the city to see Letterman. Leaving from Albany area- would it be better to take Amtrak, or drive further south and take metro north(I think that's the name of the line into the city) Would like a somewhat early arrival in NYC to look around, and won't be returning until later(after Letterman taping which starts around 5:30) Thanks. Don

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Philip

It just depends on which you choose: comfort or savings.

Amtrak is more money, but the seats are more comfortable. The trains arrive at Penn Station.

You can pick up Metro North and, depending on where you depart from, costs around $10-20 roundtrip. The seats are rather uncomfortable. (It's almost like riding a schoolbus). But you can check their schedules and fares at www.mnr.org Their trains arrive at Grand Central Terminal.

You may also want to price taking the bus. I think Trailways has several buses running.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 02:02 PM
r-travels

Don - as you said "we" - I would take the Metro-North. I (from Schenectady) take Thruway to Newburgh, and follow I-84 across, and make the FIRST exit after the bridge, turning R at light, is much easier directions, and the fare will be a little less expensive.

However, exiting the Thruway at New Paltz and driving to Poughkeepsie, while a few more turns, allows you to board the train at it's origin, thus your pick of empty seats. While the seats don't recline, I think them every bit as comfy as Amtrak ... in fact, since the "benches" are for 2 passengers on one side, 3 on the other, if the trains not crowded, you can really spread out. No food service tho.

MNR terminates at Grand Central Terminal, a much more interesting place than Penn Sta, where Amtrak stops, and is closer to CBS Theater.

Purchase a $4 Metrocard "Fun Pass" at most subway entrances, and other places, for unlimited use of NYC Bus/Subway for a day.

I travel light, and often fly out of LaGuardia, taking MNR RR. Exit at the 125th St Station, cross the street, and ride the M60 bus to LGA for $1.50, but not during morning rush.

(no x in my e-ddress, write if I can help further)

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Don

Thanks Philip and R-travels. I think it's metro north.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:34 PM
jeanette

My son goes to school at Siena and takes amtrak from Penn. to albany and it takes about 2 hours and is about $44 one way.
The metro may be cheaper, but my son has no complaints about amtrak. You may be tried form a day in the city and may want to relax on the way home and not have to drive.
only a suggestion.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Owen O'Neill

Metro North is cheaper and is certainly comdfortable enough for a short trip. More significant is the fact that it offers a far greater number of departure times because it is a commuter rail line. be sure to purchase round trip when you get to the station - it simplifies the return trip process. You might even consider driving further down to Tarrytown to park and take the train - there may be more parking available than there is in Poughkeepsie and the trains station there is in a much safer area (there's a police substation located in the parking lot). I have no knowledge of problems in the Poughkeepsie parking but having driven to both locations and taken the train in, I think Tarrytown is preferable.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Geoff

One of the things you need to keep in mind about costs is how far you have to drive to get Metro North. A drive down to Tarrytown is quite a ways. If you want convenience it's Amtrak, if you just wanted to avoid the parking of Manhattan itself, then Metro north is OK. For convenience and lower cost, I would consider the bus.