Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is it worth going to Catalina for one night?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 04:35 AM
Dean

Visiting SoCal in May.
Is it worth it to stay in Catalina overnight?
Taking my two year old son there.

Thanks all.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 05:09 AM
Alisa

Hi,

Catalina is great but it may be cold in May. Not a lot to do.

I would be happy to give you some other suggestions if you give us some specifics.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 09:38 PM
dot

Not sure about weather, but definitely worth a trip. We went in Nov, stayed two nights, arriving at dinner time first night. Winds were high and we were not sure we would get out on the morning we planned, but the boats did run. Took an island tour and another of the famous old ballroom which was interesting. Hope you get to go.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:16 PM
Alisa

Catalina is great but a ballroom tour will bore a child. You can do a boat tour off the mainland or go roam around some tidepools in Malibu.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:42 PM
momo

Need to know more about your tastes.
I've travelled quite a bit, and have lived in L.A most my life.
As for Catalina, "There's no THERE, there!"

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 12:55 AM
Been2Catalina

Boring.
The beach is really bad compared to almost anywhere else.
People jammed together like sardines because there's so little sand, so many pebbles and rocks.
LOTS of little tourist stores selling the same tacky things. Wanna buy a 3"X5" box covered in shells for $15?
Renting a golf cart (the only way to see any more of the island other than the 4 streets selling high priced tourist junk and high priced but poor quality food) is very expensive and you can wait in line for up to one hour to get one.....we did.
I wouldn't return if the trip was free.

"Born and raised in California"

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 07:06 AM
gail

I don't know...what kid would not like the flying fish boat tour????It is pretty exciting to see them alongside the boat! I think a two year old can have a good time anywhere if parents set it up right though! I think you should go for you!!!We tried to get over there last weekend without boat reservations and were not able too, so if you decide to go, make sure to reserve ahead of time!

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 10:39 AM
kam

There's a little snack restaurant at the beginning of the little golf course on Catalina that makes the very best huevos rancheros any place I've ever been! That alone would be worth it for me to return. And, Catalina is much nicer after that last boat departs in the evening. The flying fish are fascinating and there should still be glassbottom boats that your 2 year old might enjoy. Be warned that some people get a bit urpy on the trip over.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 11:00 AM
crystal

The flying fish tours start sometime in May. Check your dates. Some hotels too quiet and romantic for a small child. Go to www.catalina.com for information.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 03:46 PM
rrr

I don't think there will be much there for a 2 year old other than playing in the water. It is a great place for older kids - I would say 5 and up. I went many times as a child starting around the age of five.

FYI: Weekdays should be less busy - especially if you go on a non-cruise ship port day (I think they come in once or twice a week).

Kam is right about that restaurant - perfect place to stop on the way to the Botanical gardens.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Robin

I'm not sure what kind of reputation Catalina Island has away from southern California, but it's really not a beach spot. It's a common destination for boaters (power and sail), there's decent (cold) scuba diving, good hiking and some wildlife and a kitschy town.

Dean, while I like Catalina generally, I'm not sure that there are the right sorts of activities for a two-year-old, unless he's small enough that you would be willing to carry him in a backpack while you explored.

Just my two cents..