Search

Upstate New York

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2008, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upstate New York

Next summer, i plan on taking a trip to upstate new york. When Upstate New York is mentioned, what area of new york does it mean? Western New York or Northern New York like the Adirondacks? I am thinking of either going to the Adirondacks like Lake Placid or going to Watkins Glen? I also want to see Niagara Falls. Is a day-trip possible to see Niagara Falls from Watkins Glen? Any suggestions? My interests are mainly hiking and outdoor activity.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 05:04 AM
J62

It depends on your reference point. The joke is that anybody from NYC calls Westchester county "upstate."

Most commonly "upstate" refers the area north & west of Albany - Adirondacks, Lake Placid, Lake George, etc.

People generally refer to the Finger Lakes, the Catskills, the Hudson Valley separately.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 05:10 AM

Having spent a few decades after being born there, we referred to Buffalo--Syracuse in top 1/2 of that part of the state as "Upstate" (a Rochester newpaper supplement was even called that.) Then there's the northern tier, etc. So, entirely depends on the viewpoint! The falls are doable from Watkins Glen, but it will be a long day if you go over the border. You'll find nice hiking just about anywhere in beautiful NYS.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 08:49 AM

Anything north of the city is Upstate, however, the Buffalo area is called Western NY, Syrcuse area is Central New York, anythoing south of Syr. is the southern tier and anything North of Syracuse is the North Country...
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 08:51 AM

If you want to go to NF, I supposed you could do a day trip from WG...but you may want to start out early..you'll love the Finger Lakes Region..absolutely beautiful
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 10:07 AM

Anything north of WEstchester/Rockland is upstate.

Albany is DEFINITELY upstate.

But there are a bunch of different areas - you need to to some reading and mapping.

Niagara Falls is not a very practical trip rom Watkins Glen. It's about a 3-hour drive each way - plus time to cross the border in each direction (most of the good stuff is on the Canadian side). I would really think it has to be an overnight to see much. Otherwise 7/8 hours of driving and waiting for only a few hours there.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 06:29 PM

To visit Niagara Falls, you're better off staying at the north end of the Finger Lakes. W.G to N.F. is a long haul that will kill your enjoyment of the trip. There are a lot of beautiful towns that are only a bit more than an hour's drive from N.F. You'll certainly want to visit the Canadian side, but if you like nature, don't miss the American side, because the park there is definitely worth seeing. For more on the American side, visit: http://travelmaven.wordpress.com/nia...niagara-falls/.
Old Nov 1st, 2008, 07:08 PM

adding to the confusion, the eastern part of the state between NYC and Albany is the Hudson Valley. Those that live in the Northern part of the Valley, see it as all as upstate and those that live below Poughkeepsie, on the commuter train lines to NYC, do not see it that way, they live in the valley "just an hour from The City" and definately not upstate.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Where would be a good place to base myself in the finger lakes region for niagara falls and watkins glen? I still want to see watkins glen even if i don't stay there. What is the weather like in the summer in the finger lakes region? Is it going to be any cooler than maryland?
Thanks-
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 01:48 AM

Geneva, at the northern tip of Seneca Lake is a beautiful spot, with good access to the northern bits of the finger lakes.

The Watkins Glen State Park is worth about 4 hours of sightseeing, imho.

The temperature should be a bit cooler than Maryland, although I have been at the Watkins Glen race track when the temperature has been over 100 degrees (July).
Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 02:58 AM

Upstate New York may be slightly cooler than Maryland - but usually not that much. In midsummer for noticeably cooler weather you really need to head to Maine or Canada - esp the Maritimes.