Upscale hotel in NYC

Search

Upscale hotel in NYC

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upscale hotel in NYC

My husband and I are going to NYC for a wedding in October and will arrive a couple nights early to enjoy the city. The wedding is near Union Square with a break in between the ceremony & reception -- and the reception is in the financial district. We will not have a vehicle, so we'll most likely cab it everywhere. Is it silly to stay midtown? And any advice on an upscale and romantic hotel (4-5 star, no more than $600/night)?
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 11:26 AM

STay at the Union Sq W. It's a nice hotel in a greta area, and convenient for your plans. ALso, Union Sq is a subway hub. You can get almost anywhere in the city quickly by subway from there.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Definitely the W Union Square. I love that hotel.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM

"Silly" to stay in midtown? Depends on what your other plans are. If you're coming for theater and/or midtown shopping and will stay 4-5 nights, only 1 of which involves the wedding, it's not silly to stay midtown. Have a look at the new London hotel with suites (old Rihga Royal redone). I also hear the new management (Jumeriah) of the Essex House is finally getting their act together and the location across from the park is great. (In Oct., you prob. can't get 5* for under $600)

But if you're not going to the theater you might want to consider some of the nicer, downtown hotels. The Ritz Carlton Battery Park will be near the reception and is also a lovely hotel. There are some nice boutique hotels in Soho like 60 Thompson or the Mercer and the Gansevoort and Soho House are nice in the meatpacking district.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie - We're only planning a long weekend (3 nights) so really, one full day is going to be dedicated to the wedding and another day to whatever we choose. At night -- dinners, drinks and possibly a show.

We stayed at the W in Times Square before and I do like the W's -- although our room was really small. I wouldn't stay in TS again though...way too noisy. I'll check out the site for some photos & rates...
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:37 PM

I've always found the rates at the Ritz Battery Park to be so reasonable, but have never wanted to stay there b/c of the location-- but since the wedding will be down there, you might want to stay there for very upscale yet not over the top in price. The W Union Square is much nicer than the W Times Square , IMO, but it may cost you well into the 600s in October.i find it is often almost as expensive as the Four seasons or the St, regis! If the st.regis has a deal going on and you can get a room there for 600, i don't think there is a more romantic hotel in NYC.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Sadly, I'm seeing more negative reviews for the W Union Square than positive... I'm starting to lean towards the Ritz Battery Park or the London....
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 04:16 AM

Think you have to decide what exactly you want to do apart from the wedding since the locations of those 2 are so different. I agree with you, I think the W Union Square is grossly overpriced for what you get. If you want to be somewhere inbetween midtown and the financial district, I urge you to look at the Gansevoort.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 05:01 AM

I think the Mercer Hotel has a much better location than the Gansevoort, but I'd also recommend the Inn on Irving Place, which is a small upscale B&B type place. It's very romantic. Or the Hotel Giraffe on Park Avenue. I'm also very fond of the Kitano, which has a nice central location near Grand Central but is out of the crush of things. (And if you like W hotels, then you'll find the rooms at the W: The Tuscany or W: The Court the largest of the chain's rooms in NYC. And the location of both hotels is quite convenient.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:25 AM

But there's nothing "upscale" about the W Court or the W Tuscany. And the rooms I've had at W Union Sqaure have been larger and more luxurious than the rooms at the Court or the Tuscany.

For the OP, I think you have to take reviews of hotels like the W (or the Gansevoort, for that matter) with a little grain of salt because if people are expecting the Four Seasons aesthetic, they aren't going to get it at a W or other "boutique" or "modern" hotels.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Well we're definitely looking for a little luxury...it's our first trip away since having a baby last year. We're not big on the ultra-touri
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

ooops...
I was saying...we're not really planning on doing the super touristy attractions. We've done much of that on previous trips.
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 05:31 PM
mp

Maybe the recently redone Gramercy Park Hotel ? quite a scene - eclectic and luxurious furnishings - $$$$ but could be fun
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 07:52 AM

We have stayed in the Union Sq W as recently as this past spring (April) - it was our second stay there and we loved it - the room decor is certainly not the 'older world type' like , say , the Michelangelo, another favorite of ours - but it was most comfortable and had everything we needed.

The Hotel Giraffe is another favorite of ours - athough again, the rooms are more like W rooms and sleek/modern feel but wonderful beds, linens, towels, etc - and we love the lobby of the Giraffe - very comfortable, wonderful service of breakfast, drinks, afternoon cheese, etc - very welcoming hotel and great lobby to relax and snack/drink in.

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Plus if you stay in Union Square (or that area) you can easily walk and enjoy the Union Square market - which is wonderful ! And you mention you've done the more touristy stuff - so walking thru theat market is a great take - as well as many of the stores and coffee shops (Tisserie) that surround the square. Although I can also get excited about all the other areas mentioned - so much to see in the city and so many neighborhoods and areas to explore!
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the great recommendations. I feel as though I am starting to "over-research" these hotels, which is not a good thing. Not to mention I can't decide about the location since one day is devoted to a wedding and our free day will probably be spent shopping & strolling Central Park (I should mention I'm a photography buff and can't wait to get some shots of CP in the fall), so it's pretty much coming down to a great place to stay with a little space to kick our feet up at the end of the day. A few that have been recommended are either too small for the price or have already booked-up. Here's what I have it narrowed down to:

the sofitel
the michelangelo
trump international
the london nyc
hotel giraffe
ritz battery park

All very different places, I realize that. And I'm sure I'm confusing matters with so many options at this point. What's going to be a good location, comfortable yet contemporary room (but not "cold") and good for this early 30-something couple (ie - who has a nice bar for martini's upon arrival...LOL!).

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM

These are all good hotels, so I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. I find that the Ritz-Carlton in Battery Park to be in the least convenient location. It's probably very convenient to the wedding but much less convenient for everything else you might want to do. Location in NYC isn't that important actually because transportation is pretty good (cabs are numerous and convenient, if expensive; the subway is very convenient).

If you can afford it, though, being able to stroll across the street to Central Park from the Trump International is an unbeatable luxury; and the restaurant Jean-Georges is one of the city's finest. You're also across the street from the Time-Warner Center and its excellent restaurants (and to be honest, you can pretty easily walk to most any Broadway show from there in 15 or 20 minutes). I'd choose that hotel myself, if only for the convenience.

Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

Walking out right into Central Park sounds fabulous. Have you heard anything about the superior rooms at the Trump? I doubt we can swing a Jr. Suite. I've now narrowed it down to the Trump, Hotel Giraffe & Sofitel...
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 03:50 PM

For what you want, I'd vote for Trump, the London or the Michelangelo. Do you know the London has the Gordon Ramsey restaurant? Michelangelo has good sized rooms/bathrooms. If you can swing a view of the park at Trump or the London, that's what I'd go for.
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 04:56 PM

As I said, I've stayed at the Giraffe and the Michelangelo - while we love hte Giraffe for all the reasons mentioned above - it is also that clean/modern line : furniture, accessories, etc -

For a more old world luxurious feel I would pick the MIchelangelo - their robes are plush, the bathrooms great, the tubs/shower area large - if you are lucky and tell them why it is a special occasion you might get an upgrade - we have many times as repeats - they have a great area in the lobby to sit and have something afternoon or evening drink and many times a pianist at night also -

The London NYC I last stayed at it was the Rhiga Royale or something like that I believe, so I can't speak to the decor but from what I've read it is supposed to be lovely.

I'd pick Michelangeo or London NYC over the Giraffe based on what you have said you are looking for

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -