Upscale hotel in Maui w/ kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2006, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're looking for an upscale resort/hotel in Maui that is kid friendly. We would like to have a suite, if possible.

Any suggestions?
Should be look into the Grand Wailea? Is the Westin as nice?

Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:16 AM
trippinkpj

I haven't stayed at either, but I think I'd pick the Westin. I like the location better for families. And I love being close to Lahaina, which kids love too! Yes, I'm opinionated, LOL.

Old May 13th, 2006, 08:47 AM

The Sheraton Maui is very, very nice with one of the best beaches on Maui.
Black Rock is part of the beach in front of the hotel where you can have a wonderful snorkeling experience.

The ambience is upscale yet relaxed and comfortable.

I was at first disappointed that our travel package from Starwood was going to include a stay at the Sheraton Maui but after seeing both properties, I feel that the Sheraton was the best. Be sure and ask for a room on the 3rd floor facing the ocean for a great view of the sunsets and entertainment. Our room as 3300 and it was perfect.
Old May 13th, 2006, 09:03 AM

We stayed at the Kea Lani with our toddlers and loved it. All suites -- set up in such a way that kids can be napping in either the living area or bedroom and the grown ups can enjoy the lanai and leave the suite without waking them. Important for us. I would sit on the lanai and read and watch whales swimming in the ocean while my husband would work out and the guys would take their afternoon nap. Little kitchen areas. The resort has a toddler pool and family pool. It also has a gourmet food shop on site which was great to just get sandwiches or muffins for breakfast and lunch and not worry about taking the kids to a restaurant. You could also buy formula, baby food, diapers, etc. there. The beach is kid friendly.

However, if your kids are older, they might enjoy the pools at the Grand Wailea more.
Old May 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM

I second the Sheraton and if you don't already have one, get a starwood card.
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Get a condo. Not a hotel. Especially with kids. It will be less expensive, you will have some room and facilities to feed the brood some snacks and a fridge for your drinks. A good travel agent can help you with this, and perhaps give you a package that includes airfare and a car. You can get more upscale accommodations this way. Well, at least, that's how we do Hawaii.
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:41 PM
trippinkpj

There's another post "Where to Stay in Maui?" that may be of help. I also saw the booking/ lodging website www.vrbo.com. I haven't used it yet, but it does look helpful.

Old May 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM

I'd suggest the Kea Lani, too--very nice resort and the suite aspect is great for kids.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:29 PM

We loved the Grand Wailea. Look into the Napua tower, conceirge level with extra large rooms. Plenty of room for a 2 queens and rollaway with out all the expense of a suite. We loved having breakfast ready right down the hall and cocktails and appetizers when we came back to our room in the late afternoon.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:35 PM
ssm

How old are your kids?

Kea Lani is probably your best bet if you are looking for a suite. We did not stay there ut I was impressed when we toured it. The only downside, IMO, is the pool area. Not as much to do as other resoprts have to offer. Otherwise, my vote would be for the Hyatt Maui. The place was filled with kids yet in an unobtrusive way. My daughter (7) still talks about our trip last year. She loved the slide, the pool and Camp Hyatt (we only let her go one full day as this was a FAMILY vacation). She was most impressed with the "Dive-In" movie they showed while she was able to float on a raft in the pool at night.

We also spent time at the GW. Incredible pools, impressive grounds but not the most relaxing place. Having to get up at 7:00 am to secure a spot poolside, being crammed in like sardines and lack of service poolside was not for me.

Have fun!
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:39 PM
TahitiTams

I would do the Westin in Maui.. kid friendly and the pools are great and the beach is perfect to walk right out and snorkel.. plus all the restaurants along the boardwalk..
Have a blast!

Old May 15th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Regarding ssm post about Grand Wailea. To avoid getting down to the pool early and being crowded at the pool, if you stay in the Napua Tower, the conceirge will reserve a cabana for your family while you are there.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:00 PM

We never found the pool itself to be overcrowed. - It's huge! We didn't care about having a cabana, or even chairs, as we spent all of the time IN the pools. Having said that though, we went in summer, never went down to the pool before about 10 am, and were always able to find a chair to put our stuff on...

True, there's no poolside service, but when we were ready to have a drink, we swam into the pool bar and never had a wait at all.

The least expensive room at the Grand Wailea is still divine and can be gotten for under $350. if you keep checking the website and book far enough in advance.
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:46 AM

I would also recommend the Kea Lani. We stayed there and LOVED it. The suites are ideal for a family, and the family pool was nice.

My other choice would be the Grand Wailea for a family.
Old May 16th, 2006, 04:12 PM
ssm

Hi lovestogo,

I did stay in the Napua Tower. It was a nice touch to the vacation. But it is interesting that they did not offer to reserve a cabana for us. However, unless the cabana was free (and come on, what in Maui is free!?!?), I would not have taken them up on it. For $200 a day, their idea of a cabana is a few chaise lounges covered with a EZ-UP sandwiched in with everyone else.

For a true cabana (actually, it was a Hale), the Hyatt was the way to go! At $100 a day, it was some of the best money we spent. The day we rented this hale was easily the msot relaxing day we had during our entire stay.

Old May 17th, 2006, 03:21 AM

I don't recall if there was a cost for the cabana. But it was a true cabana and in a private spot near the top of the waterslides. By the way, they never offered it to us either, but I asked and they said, no problem. We had been told at the pool that all the cabana's were rented for the lenght of our stay. The conceirge service really helped.