upscale family hotel/resort

May 5th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

upscale family hotel/resort

Hello, I am looking to vacation in Door county this June for a week. I have a two year old and a five year old. We do not want the Dells! Trying to avoid crowded places. My kids really are not into water parks yet. There are many places in Door. I know I would prefer something on the water. It just needs to be kind of all inclusive. We are hoping to have everything we need in one place. We really want to relax and enjoy the beautiful area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We will be driving up from Peoria, Illinois. We also plan on visiting Stevens Point. That is where my mother is from.
Again, thank you!
May 5th, 2007, 02:34 PM

You might want to check out the Glidden Lodge http://www.gliddenlodge.com/.
We always stay on the "quiet side" but there are lots of things to do a short drive across the peninsula if the spirit moves you.
May 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

What is the difference between the lakes? Is one better than the other? Cleaner than the other to swim in. I have really only considered the Bay side. Many people recommended Sister Bay. The Bay side seemed to have it all. Glidden Lodge does look very nice. Thank you.
May 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

I think I have narrowed it down to four places. 1)Glidden lodge in Sturgeon Bay 2)Little Sister Resort in Sister Bay 3)Alpine Resort in Egg Harbor 4)or, The Shallows in Egg Harbor. Any opinions would be great. I like the idea of the resorts with boat, bike rentals on property. Also the ones with nice beach area for my little ones. Thanks.
May 8th, 2007, 08:58 PM

Hello,
We've vacationed at various places in Door County. Haven't stayed at the four you are considering, but I looked at the websites and all look very nice. However, please check the detailed reviews on Trip Advisor. The two places in Egg Harbor have some decidedly negative reviews. The reviews for Little Sister Resort are very positive.

To clarify, both sides of Door County are technically part of Lake Michigan. The northern (left side of the map) is Green Bay - the part of Lake Michigan between Door peninsula and the rest of Wisconsin. The southern (right side of map) is only Lake Michigan and not bounded by an additional land mass. A generalization would be that the Bay side can be a bit calmer and warmer - sometimes better for small boats (we sail and canoe) and swimming. But Door County has a number of little harbors on both sides - so often the micro climate/environment of the resort determines how warm the water is or how protected it is.

Great Lake beaches generally are more rocky - usually mixed in with lake shore sand. Some places have only pebble beaches. Most of Door County Lakeshore is sandy - but you may want to ask each resort to specifically describe their waterfront facilities - how much sand, is the beach protected or not, etc. June will potentially still be a little cold for swimming - so a pool might be an added benefit for your kids.

Of the four locations - Glidden Lodge is farthest away from the usual attractions. It will probably be quieter - not bad if you don't want to leave the property - but not as convenient for restaurants/petting farms/cute stores.

Sister Bay and Ephraim are my favorite spots - in the center of activity, but not over run with traffic (like Fish Creek)... Sister Bay has the added benefit of being right next to Peninsula Park - a great place for play, paved bike trails, etc. There is enough traffic on weekends in Sister Bay to be sure that the place you select isn't close to the roadside.

I don't know Egg Harbor well - have only driven through. But based on your preferences and the reviews on Trip Advisor, I'd say Little Sister Resort sounds like the best choice.

Hope this helps and that you may hear from someone that's actually stayed at these specific resorts.

Hope your family enjoys the vacation.

May 9th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your reply. Your advice sounds great. The east side sounds nice, but might get alittle boring for the kids. The west side sounds more fun.
May 12th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

anybody have an opinion on the Shallows Resort and the Little Sister resort? They both sound nice. Little Sister does not seem to have pool. Both are on the water. Thanks.