Reload this Page >

Upgrades to First Class

Search

Upgrades to First Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 07:08 AM
sallee

Upgrades to First Class

What are everyone's thoughts on upgrading to First Class on the day of a flight? Any suggestions welcomed. Is it possible to pay a smaller fee than the cost of ticketing to do so? Easier if you are honeymooning, etc.? Please share personal experiences.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Chuck

Unless you have elite frequent flyer status or pay the full refundable coach fare which is very expensive, your chances of getting upgrading are slim to none.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 08:15 AM
xxx

Which airline will you be flying on?

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 09:21 AM
ME

I flew continental from Washington, D.C. to Denver last summer on Continental and asked for an upgrade at the gate and payed $100 for a first class seat on top of my discounted roundtrip airfare. Just ask, the worst they can say is no.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 09:23 AM
ME

I meant to say "paid" not "payed"
oops.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 09:44 AM
sallee

i'll be flying united from newark to lax and then on to hawaii. I am frequent flyer with Continental, but United had better rates through my agent. It is for a honeymoon early on a Sunday morning; I don't know if that helps to tell them.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 09:59 AM
yup

There was an article in a recent issue of Conde Nast Traveler that said that airlines give first class upgrade preference (after frequent fliers) to honeymooning couples. These gate agents have a hard-on (I should say, a soft spot) for cutesy, smiling, in love couples on their honeymoon. Mention it and if the seats are available, then the agents should be more than happy to upgrade you both.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 10:05 AM
ME

The gate agents probably have a hard-on with cutesy in-love couples too.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 10:39 AM
xxx

Nothing like prostituting yourself for an upgrade...

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 10:59 AM
ME

It's not prostituting yourself when you're a guy.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Sal

Delta gave our party of four an upgrade, just for asking, when we flew to Atlanta a few weeks ago. We had two fourteen year-old girls who told the agent their moms would never pay to fly them first class. I guess that worked.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 02:41 PM
xxx

thanks for the answer. I asked because this question sounded to vague to be legit - thought it was another troll, or ever worse, a reporter.

Now I'll answer seriously.

First, if you are a member of Continental Elite program, see if United will match their status. When I was the highest level with Continental a few years back all other airlines matched my status with them - I just had to fax my Onepass statement to them.

If not, get a United FF membership ahead of time, with FF card.

Try calling reservations multiple times and beg. It's worked for me, twice. But don't count on this...

Call reservations and the United FF line the day before and see how many (if any) 1st class seats are left. You may also be flying a plane with Business class, which is also not bad. If a large % are left, then all you need is a nice gate agent and/or baggage check-in person to give you the seats. It helps to have the United FF number. Also helps to bribe - I used to give away Olympic pins (as I saw the agents like to wear these on their jackets) for upgrades. Also, one person in SLC used to upgrade for a bag of peanut M&Ms. Take something with you.

Another strategy that worked is to 'bitch' about your flight from EWR to LAX. Go directly to their customer service in the terminal and state your unhappines at being late.. poor service, seats you were promised you didn't get (in coach, that is), they didn't give you your special meal request... really anything. They have the power to upgrade you as appeasment. This used to work in Vegas on connecting flights to Houston - very often.

Don't by shy to ask for an upgrade on your return flights, too. Or, if you are rejected on the first leg, ask," How about on the return, please?"

All these tricks work if and only if there are extra seats in the first place.

United may give you coupons upon your FF enrolment program that you can purchase an upgrade for a discount. Look inside your package.

Stand in line at the First Class / FF check in line instead of the regular area. Often they won't check and/or assume you are flying 1st or an elite member. Once at the counter, be presumptive about getting upgraded. "I'd prefer row 2 or 3, as I don't like the bulkhead, if available. My husband would like an isle seat" [This presumptive method was the most effective technique, I found. It didn't work all the time, of course, but >33%]

Although I never tried this, I just heard a successful upgrade at a gate: The person paid full fare, and found out many around her didn't. She confronted the agent after she found out First wasn't filled. They upgraded her.. [Actually, many airlines automatically upgrade if you pay a full coach fare - as long as no one else pays First class fare - but you should ASK]

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 05:55 AM
Ally

YES, tell the ticket agents you're on your honeymoon! My husband and I did for our honeymoon and we got upgraded to first class from Sydney to Hamilton Island and then from Sydney to Bali. That leg, being a 6 1/2 hour flight, was wonderful to be in first class!