Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Memphis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 06:26 AM
Leigh Ann

Aside from the Peabody, I'm looking for recommendations for a nice hotel or B&Bs in the heart of Memphis. The Peabody's rates are $220, and I'd like to stay closer to $150, or possibly $100. It's for my husband and me in May, for 2 nights.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 06:59 AM
S

If you're looking to stay on a weekend in May, forget the Peabody at $220 - you can probably add $100 per night to that rate. I paid $250/night at the Holiday Inn Select last year during one of the Memphis in May Festivals. The Peabody is more expensive. There are 3 nice hotels in the Beale Street area. Without looking them up, I think they are the Holiday Inn Select, the Radisson, and, of course, the Peabody.

Once you get several miles out, the rates drop considerably! Definitely in the range you're interested in. The problem is then that you're going to have to drive in to the downtown area, find a place to park among the 100,000 other participants, and walk 1/4 to 1 mile to get to where the action is. After you've wandered the festival and partied all day and night, that's a really long walk at midnight! But then, it may be a moot point. Several miles out may be all that you can get this close to May. Have fun!

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Leigh Ann

We just randomly picked May-I wasn't aware of the festivals. So should we avoid May altogether? Are there similar festivals in April?

Don't want to go outside the city center, and will pay the extra.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 11:26 AM
S

Memphis holds a Memphis in May International Festival each year. Each weekend they have something going on down at Tom Lee Park right beside the Mississippi River. Beale Street runs right into the park. Their web site said the Music and BBQ festivals each have over 100,000 attendees. They also have other stuff going on during May.

We've stayed out and in. It's definitely NICE to be able to walk 2 (short) blocks back to your hotel - especially at 1:00AM! Arm bands are required that weekend. (No sneaking an extra person into your room that weekend! Guards are posted in the lobby for security!)

Don't know what Beale Street is like at any other time. Ask me in April. We missed The Phantom in our area & will catch it in Memphis. We're bringing our own party and are determined to have a great time no matter what!

Here's the web site for the Memphis In May International Festival:
http://www.memphisinmay.org/

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 11:54 AM
S

Check out Mud Island. It's got an outside to-scale replica of the entire length of the Mississippi River with water running through it. Landmarks and everything.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 12:59 PM
Susan

There's a very nice new Hampton Inn in downtown Memphis close to Beale Street. It's the Hampton Inn at Peabody Place.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 01:13 PM
RB

Yep, Memphis in May is a busy time- but it's so much fun! Lots of good music and food. It's been a few years since our last stay, but try the Marriott Downtown, 250 North Main St., phone 901-527-7300. It formerly was a Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza. Location, as poster above notes, is key. We navigated the hot spots easily from this hotel. Have fun & eat some ribs for us!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Pat

My husband and I are going to Memphis on May 11th for the weekend. I just got a rate at the Radisson of $99 per night....king bed. It is right across the street from the Peabody and we plan to eat dinner there. We hear it is a beautiful hotel. Originally planned to go May 18th but that is the barbecue festival and I could only find a room for $200 plus.