Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Update from Tom and Stacey-- advice needed (again!)

Jan 5th, 2003, 04:20 PM
stacey

We are pretty sure we're going to move to Asheville. The lifestyle seems to be the best fit for us My next question is regarding neighborhoods and areas to live...any advice is appreciated!

Jan 5th, 2003, 06:13 PM
get

Hire a real estate agent. Do some research on the U.S. Census site for neighborhood info. Stop asking strangers to plan your life for you.

Jan 6th, 2003, 07:28 AM
danna

Just for kicks, I went to the Census site. I learned that the median household income in Bumcombe county is $36k and the average person commutes 21 minutes. Noted no info re: desireable neighborhoods. "Get" must be much more adept at mining data from that site than I.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge of the area will help you. An area called Biltmore Forest is considered quite desireable. I personally like the neighborhood that stretches from Merrimon avenue up toward the Grove Park Inn. The old houses are beautiful and you might actually be walking distance from some things. I fear the prices may be HIGH!

Jan 6th, 2003, 09:49 AM
xxx

Stacey go to google.com and type in relocation. It's not rocket science.

Jan 6th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Carl

My parents live in Asheville, beautiful city, low crime, great schools (etc.). The best place to live is the Merrimon Road area, near Charlotte St. You can find some really nice places in this area at a relatively low cost. Closer to the University and further from the Grove Park will be cheaper. Also, if it's your style, there are some great places downtown; old warehouse buildings coverted to apartments or condominiums as well as several renovated houses Good Luck!!