Search

Universal vs. MGM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Universal vs. MGM

If you had to pick one to visit which would you choose? How do they compare?
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 11:35 AM
GoTravel

Hands down Islands of Adventure at Universal. Spider Man and the roller coasters can't compare. While the Rock and Rollercoaster is very cool at MGM, it's not The Hulk at IOA.

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 02:59 PM

I agree with the other poster. The thing that would sway me is Spiderman. There is NO other ride that compares at this point.You really feel as though you have landed in a comic book. Islands of Adventure has more rides to choose from and also rides (in my opinion of better quality.) In the past I would say that Disney wins hand down for atmosphere but IOA really has that one covered too!
I would miss The Tower of Terror and Rock and Roller Coaster but give me Doctor Doom, Spidey,Hulk and great water rides anyday!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 03:07 PM

I'm a HUGE Disney fan but I would have to say that with all they have done with Universal.. it would probably be your best pick.
(God that killed me to say that )
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:07 AM

That depends on what you want to do. If you want rollercosters, then go to Islands of Adventure, but don't confuse that with Universal Studios. There are no rollercoasters at Universal Studios and your money to get into Universal will not get you into Islands of Adventure. I'm sure you know this, but just wanted to make sure. You don't mention if you're traveling with kids or not, and if so, what age. MGM is more kid friendly for young children, for early-late teens, I would think Islands of Adventure would be best received and if you're looking to go to universal or MGM because you want to experience a movie production studio, go to Universal. But before anyone makes a recommendation, I think we need a little more info about your situation.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Here's some more info: we are not traveling with kids, just 2 adults who want to experience the whole movie atmosphere. We do have disney park-hopper tickets which include MGM but was wondering if it's worth the extra money to pay and go to Universal, too.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:46 AM

Universal is our favourite park (44 & 36 year old). We've also been with family for the last two years and did IOA as well - another excellent park.

For rollercoasters and kids/big kids IOA is superb - for the 'movie' experience it is Universal.

If you have the time, do both over two days - if not, I would read up about both and try and do them in one day.

Yes a push - but what a push!!

Brian
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:50 AM

"Movie atmosphere"? Maybe "movie-themed" atmosphere-- but if you want a true movie atmosphere, you'll have to travel those 2500 miles to the original in Universal City CA-- a real working movie/TV production studio (and pay for the VIP tour, which gets you onto actual sets). Even better, the Paramount Studios tour.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 02:48 PM

Universal and IOA all the way! Even my kids don't care to go to Disney anymore.It's just not very exciting compared to the Universal acventure. And Citywalk is fun to stop in after the parks. Also, if you can, stay at one of the Universal hotel properties. You get a front of the line pass that makes it so wonderful. The hotels are great too.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 03:21 PM
GoTravel

My husband and I go to Orlando often and we are 30 something and 40 something. Islands of Adventure is our favorite and then Epcot.

While Universal cannot touch that Disney warm fuzzy feeling, Disney can't come close to the thrill rides Islands of Adventure has.

Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:02 PM
gmt

No question,Universal! My sons are 7,12,& 15 years old & they loved it. And so did my husband & I.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 12:43 PM

I know I'm going agains the grain but my vote is definitely for MGM. We just came back from Orlando two weeks ago where we did both Disney and Universal. If you're looking for roller coasters I'd say Universal. But since you're looking for a movie-type place, I would pick MGM. The MGM backlot tour is similar to the Universal Studios tour in California but Universal in Orlando does not offer a backlot tour. In fact there wasn't much of a movie feel there at all unless you like cartoon characters like Scooby Doo or Spiderman. MGM also had a great movie ride where you saw re-creations of famous movie scenes (Wizard of Oz, Singing in the Rain, Casablanca, etc.). My 10 year old is still talking about it. Universal had a "Tribute to Lucy" which is really quite lame--just an excuse to flog a bunch of Lucille Ball merchandise. I understand their Tribute to Lucy in California is much better. MGM also has a terrific 3-D Muppet show and Fantasmic (a light and laser show) which all of us enjoyed. So if you're looking for more of a "movie" experience, I would recommend Universal. Everyone else on this thread seems to be looking at the thrill rides but my kids and I found Universal Studios Orlando boring (except for the Jurassic Park ride).
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 06:53 PM

If you are after the movie experience, I would suggest you do both Universal and MGM. I loved Disney and Universal, very different experiences. Have fun!