Reload this Page >

Universal Studios FL parks and lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Angie

Considering a trip to Universal in Florida but am looking for feedback. We've done Disney a number of times and love the parks. How does Universal compare?

Also, any comments on the new Royal Pacific hotel? The prices seem great for what you appear to get.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Keysmom

I live in Miami and have a 6 and a 9 year old. We get annual passes to Disney and Universal (alternating years). For me, Disney has more magic and if I was only doing one set of parks, I'd pick Disney. However, Universal's Island of Adventure has better rides (Spiderman is my all time favorite). Most of the rides are for bigger kids (and adults). The Universal area is more contained. You can easily walk from one park to the other.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:01 AM
Gail

I have been to both several times. I prefer the rides at Islands of Adventure to anything WDW has to offer. I still love the magic of WDW. IOA had GREAT theming throughout the parks. Food is also less expensive at CityWalk and the Universal Parks than at WDW. It's sooooo much easier to get around at Universal. YOu can walk to the parks from the Hard Rock and Royal Pacific or take the boats or busses. Then there is the automatic express line for the rides. Just show your room key if staying on site and go right to the express line. That just can't be beat. For LOADS of wonderful information, go to www.disboards.com

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 11:08 AM
cwatt

Universal has more action type of attractions,Dosney has the whole fantasy/magic thing going on. So it depends on what you are looking for.
You should know that guests in the UNiversla hotels do not wait on line for attrsctions,which is a big plus.Portofino Bay is a beautiful hotel.Friends of ours love the Hard Rock.
You might want to try the forums at disboards.com for more opinions

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Postal

I have walked through the Royal Pacific and it looks like a beautiful place. I hear the best comments about the Hard Rock Hotel, though.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 04:44 PM

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 06:35 AM
Robin

We stayed 3 nights at the Royal Pacific hotel this past August 2002, a beautiful resort. Myself, husband and our two teen sons stayed in a Club floor room with two Queens beds. Rooms are the same size on other floors except for suites. Club level has a lounge with food and drinks included. The best hotel rate's are " Universal Fan Club Membership" rates or AAA. If we were to stay there again, I would get two connecting rooms as rooms were small especially with teens. I prefer WDW over Universal any day but our stay was very nice. You can't go wrong with any of the three onsite hotels. If loud music is your thing, then Hard Rock would be best. I think my boys would of liked Hard Rock but I prefer the quiet of Royal Pacific.

Old Mar 1st, 2003, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello I have just returned to uk after 2 weeks in florida, as far as the parks are concerned. Universal has more thrill rides than disney but disney has something special. I had a five day hopper pass to disney of which i have one day left and i had a two day pass for universal but purchased afurther one day pass for universal on my second week. We loved IOA . Univesal is definately for adrenalin junkies.HAve fun
Old Mar 1st, 2003, 05:06 AM

just came back from Orlando 13 days, we stayed at the Hotel Royal PLaza at the downtown disney area, great hotel and great expedia rate 55 a night. As far as the parks went we went to Universal first and then Disney. We honestly found Disney to be a let down compared to Universal.
Most of the attractions at disney are old and tired . Universal was great would go back for universal not disney
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 08:03 AM

We loved Universal Studios. That was several years ago and I know it has grown and gotten even better.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 01:29 PM

We have a teenage son and are heading back to Universal after staying there in August 2002. (we stayed at Hard Rock and loved it) For action and for older kids I think that Universal's parks are much better than Disney. This time we were able to get a $99 per night rate at Royal Pacific during our son's Spring Break week. I could hardly believe that. We will check out Mama's at Portofino. Also great to know we can catch the tunes while we swim at Hard Rock even though we are guests at Royal Pacific.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:14 AM
jon

Hands down the facilities at Universal and Islands of Adventure are so much better than Disney. As one post said above, Disney seems old and tired. IOA, on the other hand, is new and exciting, and really tried hard to please the people. Close parking without worrying about trams, free lockers outside of rides that require you to put your things in a locker, free express passes to get ahead in line, good inexpensive food, amazing shows and special effects, fantastic rides with really unique elements, and as one of the posts said above, great theming throughout the park, meaning each area is designed with a theme, and you totally feel immersed in that theme. They did a fabulous job creating that park. You will not be disappointed going to IOA, and I'm sure Universal is the same.