Reload this Page >

Universal in Orlando with 5 yo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 05:58 PM
Joy in Virginia

We are returning to Orlando late August this year. Last year I did not think Universal attractions would interest 5 yo - we played another day at Magic Kingdom while Dad & big sister went to Universal. With Islands of Adventure open - has anyone been with 5 or 6 yo kids? Did they enjoy it? Any out of the way attractions info appreciated too. We plan to spend 2-3 days at WDW & 3-4 days at other attractions. Thanks!

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 07:01 PM
Mary

I was just there in June. I think IOA is more for the roller coasters/thrill seekers set than for 5-6 year olds. I went with my 10 & 12 yr. olds and they loved it but my sis. who has 5 & 3 year olds thought there isn't enough there to justify a whole day there with her kids. Suess Landing has Cat in the Hat, One FishTwo Fish & the Carouseussel rides and that's about it.

Old Aug 6th, 1999, 07:02 PM
Mary

I was just there in June. I think IOA is more for the roller coasters/thrill seekers set than for 5-6 year olds. I went with my 10 & 12 yr. olds and they loved it but my sis. who has 5 & 3 year olds thought there isn't enough there to justify a whole day there with her kids. Suess Landing has Cat in the Hat, One FishTwo Fish & the Carouseussel rides and that's about it.

Old Aug 7th, 1999, 01:57 AM
bernard

Went to Island Of Adventures Early August. Seuss Landing and TOON Island are for 5 & 6 year old's. The rest are for Pre-teens & up (roller coaster rides etc). If the weather is hot go to Typhoon lagoon, one of Disney's water parks. Nice Caribbean setting. Kids only section where they can play while Mom & Dad relax. If your kids like Animals try Disney's Animal Kingdom (it's not a zoo). Animal Kingdom has gotten mixed reviews which I agree with (overpriced). Go early, Do the Safari ride first. Animals are scattered throughout the park in very realistic natural settings. Park has a petting zoo. Leave when it gets hot or crowds become unbearable.
If you have a car go to Silver Springs about 1.5 hours North of Orlando. Glass bottom boat ride, Safari Jungle tour, rides, other nature attractions etc.. Less hectic (and cheaper)then Disney.

Old Aug 12th, 1999, 03:00 AM
Suzanne

I would DEFINITELY GO to Universal with your 5 yr old! I have a almost 5 yr old who was about 4 1/2 when we were there in February of this year. My son had a BLAST. NOt sure if you child is a boy or a girl, but you should GO. I think we had more fun at Universal than at Disney!! Serious. February when we went was just before all the crowds from Washington's bday and we had NO lines. This was also before they opened up the newest section, islands of adventure. My son loved the ET ride, Nickeleodeon was great, Flintstones, Jaws, cowboy shoot out show, he loved it.

Hope this helps. We'll go back soon for sure!!!

Suzanne

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 11:49 AM
John Sharp

Hello Joy,
We live in England but have travelled to Florida several times. We love it there.
We have not been to IOA, however, we have visited Universal plenty of times over the years. I would say that the park is more suitable for older children(and adults!), except maybe Barney's playground/Nickelodeon.
The best park for children of 5/6 is Magic Kingdom. We have not visited the water parks for a couple of years as our young son is only just under 3 but Typhoon Lagoon is great for children of all ages.
Sea World is also worth a visit, particularly if you have not been before.

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 12:01 PM
beetle

If you go to the past Hosted Forums list, there's a recent one on Orlando with many postings on this topic.