Search

United Strike?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 07:59 AM
karen

United Strike?

What's the latest word on United striking? In your opinions, is it going to happen and for how long? I don't want to get panicky but should I make alternate arrangements for mid-March?

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 08:03 AM
jjj

Too soon to tell.
No way to know whether the bluffing strategy of the machinists will succeed.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 08:28 AM
Minnywall

I don't know, but I'm a little nervous since I fly to Kauai on United next Thursday. Any thoughts on what would happen to ticketed passengers if a strike does occur?

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Mike Tancredi

My guess is that if there were a problem, United would try to move passengers onto partner airlines like Continental.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 09:29 AM
bebrave

It is just the mechanics who are threatening a strike - just fly the planes without them. Have passengers volunteer to check the planes themselves. The guy who repairs my car is pretty good, too

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 09:31 AM
Adam

I don't think Continental has anything to do with United. CO and Northwest are partners. FYI.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:07 AM
sam

What happened to all the $$ that was given to these airlines to stay in business? Why isn't this being filtered down to the people that actually work for a living? I say STRIKE! (I am NOT an airline employee)

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 11:32 AM
xxx

Let's be fair -- the mechanics' union turned down a 37% increase. That's right -- 37%! How many of you got a 37% increase this year and a promise of another 7% increase next year???

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 12:20 PM
X

Factually, the 37% was offered for only the most senior people per media reports. This workforce has not had an increase since perhaps 1994. Both sides per the media this morning have decided to keep talking. Lets give these people what they want. Well maintained planes are critical.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:00 PM
Unitedcust

The Airline says supervisors can do the work on the planes without a threat to the flying public. -- If that is the case then just fire all the regular workers and have the supervisors do the work instead, will save money.

Old Feb 13th, 2002, 01:05 PM
x

Maybe Enron can spare some mgrs.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:06 AM
Val

Does anyone think this is a serious possibility? We are booked to fly home from a trip on Feb. 25 and MUST return home that day for various reasons. Should we book a back-up? (We have travel insurance -- is this something we can do?). Will be calling our TA this morning when she gets in.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 07:09 AM
ar

wont happen

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 08:49 AM
val

Minnywall--FYI: just got off the phone with my TA who tells me that IF a strike occurred, the other airlines would honor our tix. However, my question to her was since we are flying back at the end of President's Week (busy travel time), could she watch the situation and book us on something if the strike occurred so we'd have a good backup. She said she would do that, and that our travel insurance would reimburse us for any cost.

ar-you mention it "won't happen" and perhaps you're correct, but I need to plan for if it does since our return home on a specific date is a must.

It is my understanding that Pres. Bush doesn't have too many options for intervening and would need Congress to back him up; they are in recess next week. So I'm covering my bases.

Thanks for the info, all.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 12:41 PM
Lisa

Yikes, I'm in the same boat that Minny is. We're scheduled to fly out to Kauai next Wednesday the 20th at 6:00 AM on United. My travel agent (Casto Travel) just told me that they are currently set to strike at 12:01 AM on 2/20.

I know they would work to put us on other flights, but from what I'm hearing, most flights on competing carriers like Northwest are pretty booked as is.

Thank god we always get the trip insurance!

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Stan

Sorry I posted a similar post without looking first. Mea culpa.

Old Feb 14th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Lisa

Minny: My travel agent just booked us a tentative reservation on Hawaiian that she'll hold in case United does decide to strike and cancels our flight to Kauai next Wednesday.

You might try giving your agent a call to see if she can do the same for you.