Unique/funky Seattle

Search

Unique/funky Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unique/funky Seattle

Heading to Seattle over Labor Day weekend for Bumbershoot. I'd like to see some cool and unique sights. I heard about the rock garden so I am going to call and see if we can tour. We'll probably do the underground tour. I wondered if anyone knows where that big sculpture of the giant is - I'd like to see that. Any other fun off the beaten path attractions would be great!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM

That troll captures cars going under the George Washington Bridge (Aurora Bridge) at N. 36th St. It's close to the water. Beware as he's already captured a VW beetle and has his eye out for other cars.

He's between the Ballard Locks, which are fun to visit (be sure to watch through the glass for salmon trying ot make their way up the ladders) and Gasworks Park, which is also pretty funky, and has a funky sign near the restrooms explaining the works there. You can see some of the houseboats on L. Union from there, and nice Seattle views.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:35 AM

PS. I should add the troll lives in the Fremont neighborhood, which should help you locate him on a map.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:37 AM

PSS What's the rock garden?

Check out the wooden boat school on L. Union on the internet. We haven't been but it sounds way cool, and you can maybe have a little ride on their sailboat, too!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the troll tips! The Walker Rock Garden is actually someone's back yard in W. Seattle but you can call for appointments. Her husband spent 20 or 30 years and built all these sculptures and mosaics. Looks like a lot of fun to check out.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:23 PM

I looked up the garden on the internet. It looks like a lot of fun. W. Seattle is a great place to bike along the water. At night, there is beach volleyball and bonfires. There are some good restaurants, too. We like the Phoenicia, right at Alki, near the beach and the Statue of Liberty. It's Lebanese. Farther west is Rustica, and lovely Italian restaurant. It is also near the water and a nice walk along the waterfront.

The ferry to Vashon is also in W. Seattle, at Fauntleroy. Vashon is a very uncommercialized island with some galleries. Also fun to visit, for a nice drive. It's picturesque and has no McDonalds on the island. Don't know if there's even a Starbucks! Gads! There must be, but I don't think so! There's a lighthouse at Point Roberts Pk with a pretty beach.

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Near the troll is the largest statue of Lenin on the west coast. Have a fish burrito at the Taco del Mar shop right behind his behind.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks for all the advice. Hey, what do you think of Cafe Bizarro? I was thinking of heading there for dinner after visiting the troll.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 09:59 AM

We quite like Bizarro. Only the decor is funky, otherwise it's a pretty straightforward Italian restaurant. Parking can be a hellish.

Orcas, Starbucks bought out Seattle's Best Coffee, which was renamed from the original Stewart Brothers Coffee, which was HQd on Vashon. Layoffs and closure followed. If there aren't any Starbucks or SBC stores on Vashon, I'm sure no tears are shed. Resistance is futile...
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 10:07 AM

If you go to visit the troll on a Sunday, you can also go to the Freemont market. I got some cool beaded jewelry there.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Cool, thanks for the tip. Hey, here is a question - I hear there is a Van Gogh exhibit at SAM, but I have also heard that the Henry Gallery is way better than SAM. I was thinking while around the Fremont area, we'd mosy on over to the Henry, but I'm a little tempted by the Van Goghs...set me straight, what do you think is the best stop for some quality art (our only art stop for the weekend)?
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 05:59 AM
jasper

amelie...take a 30 minute drive to renton, washington to visit jimi hendrix grave. and for a really cool breakfast (or lunch) check out the five spot. they change their theme every few weeks, and it's usually a u.s city.

Old Aug 31st, 2004, 06:09 AM

Have not seen the Van Gogh exhibit but hear it's quite good. Why not do both, and throw in the Frye Museum on First Hill (near downtown) while you're at it. All excellent.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Jasper - sounds great! We aren't renting a car, though. Is there a way to get there by transit? Also, re: visiting all the art galleries - we really only have 1.5 days to explore Seattle, since we're doing Bumbershoot one of the days. I don't think we'll have time hit all of them and still see the other goodies. Between SAM, the Frye, and the Henry, no preferences? If not then maybe we'll just go by convenience of location.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 11:22 AM

Amelie, the Van Gogh exhibit is only touring 3 US cities I believe and Seattle is one.

Instead of Cafe Bizarro why not go to the Asteroid Cafe also in Wallingford (1605 N 45th St) Originally opened in 1997 by Jason Finn of The Presidents of the United States, Michael Wells of Walkabouts and Marlin Hathaway who performed with both of them, it is now managed by Marlin.

Make reservations if possible as there are only 10 tables! 206-547-2514
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:17 PM

Wonderful view of the city, Space Needle and Mt. Rainier can be seen from atop Queen Anne Hill. Great spot for twilight to dark watching the city lights come on.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 03:40 PM

Henry Art Gallery has a very interesting light exhibit, but Van Gogh at the SAM is IMO is much more worthwhile, but I'd suggest getting tickets in advance as the lines have been quite long. I believe you can get them on the internet at Seattleartmuseum.org.

The Henry is on the UW campus which is beautiful, but is between quarters now, so will be deserted (but is still beautiful, but I doubt the fountain will be on.) The University district has some funky places and good, inexpensive restaurants.

Capital Hill has some very funky places. Alki is lots of fun in summer.
If Benaroya Hall is open (directly across from the SAM, stop in to see the wonderful Chihuly chandiliers.

Have a great time.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 05:11 AM
jasper

amelie...i'm sure a bus ride can get you there, or spend the $$ on a cab. definatley worth it.