Search

Unexpected 5 days in NY - help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2003, 03:16 PM
ro
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unexpected 5 days in NY - help!

Hi, my partner is going to a boxing fight !!in Atlantic City in Nov. I have decided to go with him so I can get to visit NY. We will be in NY for 5 days - not enough I know but Australia is a long long way...What is the weather like in Nov? Would like some "have to do" tips from the experts.

Old Nov 7th, 2003, 03:22 PM

The weather is due to turn very cold this weekend. For things to do & see either type NY sightseeing in the text search box above or go to Fodor's destinations, then NY. They have a recommended 3 day itinerary to get you started. There's loads of info here. Want to shop? Type shopping AND NYC in the box. Have fun reading.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 03:26 PM

November in NYC is a winter month. It will likely be very cold. You can find the "average" weather conditions for your dates at www.weather.com - which is also useful to check just before leaving home for finalizing your packing.

For "have to do" tips, you may want to start with the "Destinations" resources right here on Fodor's, or, perhaps, pick up a tour guide or two. My favorites are Access and Eyewitness. The "have to do" sights, attractions, destinations, restaurants, and so forth are all dependent on your personal preferences.

Here's hoping you have your accomodations booked. November is incredibly "busy" this November, with occupancy and rates at their all-time highest this year.
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 04:42 PM
ro
Original Poster

Thanx for the quick responses - any recommendations on the best location to stay in NY and/or hotels - 4 star.

By "cold" in Australia we mean - take a jumper !! We are actually there early December now...
Old Nov 7th, 2003, 06:46 PM

By cold in New York we mean take a wool (or leather) coat, scarf, and gloves! Sometimes it does get bright and sunny and warmer, so you do want layers. I'd use expedia.com and look at hotels midtown, three or four stars. Or quickbook.com Hotels in NYC are expensive so you'll want to find a deal...in order to eat at some great restaurants and party at some fab clubs. Start at the rants and raves section of this site for restaurant ideas. Be sure to spend some time downtown, midtown, and uptown! Eastside and westside.
Old Nov 9th, 2003, 08:37 PM

To be specific New York temperatures in November can be as high as the 50's or as low as the 20's (you rarely get into the 10's or single digits until near christmas). If it snows it won't be much (1 or 2 inches probably) but it can be very windy. You'll need a winter coat, gloves, hat, scarf and boots comfy for walking would be a good idea.

Despite the weather do not miss the Statue of Liberty or the Ellis Island Museum (explains how immigration made us who we are) and other museums based on your taste (art: the Met, naure: the mseum of natural history). Be sure to visit Central Park (you may want to skate at Wollman rink or visit the mini-zoo) and visit the top of the Empire State building. Most of all New York is a walking town - plan just to tour some intersting neighborhoods on foot to get a real flavor of the city and its residents.