Undiscovered gems

Old Feb 13th, 2020, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Undiscovered gems

Looking to check out a few places next month with an eye to a future retirement move...any spots people consider real gems? We really aren’t sure what we’re looking for ultimately, still hashing it all out, so we’re open to suggestions!! I know places like Nashville and Charleston are very buzz worthy..any other places people love?
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 02:16 PM

What do you want in the place to settle? City, country, sea side, mountains, desert, four seasons, snow, no snow, constant warmth, good food, music, theater, colleges, etc.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Undiscovered gems

Hubby would love to live on a lake but I don’t want to be too far from civilization! We’re both very fond of northern lakes so there’s that...not too fond of the Southwest but are trying to keep an open mind! He’s a golfer and I want some culture not too far away..we’re kind of a mess trying to figure it out😂
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 04:05 PM

What kind of climate / weather are you seeking? Since you mention northern lakes, you're open to having frozen long cold winters?
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

I know...sounds a little daunting but we plan to travel quite a bit during the winter...I’m actually keeping options open to non lake locations as well...
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 04:50 PM

Since you are talking a permanent retirement move, I'd just start going places to visit... and staying at least one month. To really get a feel for things.

I know for me and "retirement" NO WAY would I be moving anyplace that has serious winter, snow, etc. Absolutely not going to happen!
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Suze, I know..I kind of feel that way too. We’re so up in the air so asking people about places they’ve loved is a good start..
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 05:07 PM

If your husband is into golf a northern climate might not be the best option as cold, snowy winters will limit his golfing for a significant part of the year. Look instead to warmer climate areas that are known golfing Mecca’s like South Carolina, southwestern Florida, Arizona, etc. Those locales will also have plenty of “55 & Over” communities that appeal to some retirees.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

We have a lot to consider!! Thanks everyone!
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 08:21 PM

Check Mt. Dora Florida. Here's my trip report fwiw:

Scouting Mt. Dora, Florida

Happy hunting!
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 03:28 AM

If you're retired and have an attached garage,winter isn't too bad especially if someone else does all the plowing and shoveling which you will probably find in over 55 communities. I'm surprised at the number of people I meet who have retired to NH. Usually the reason is to be close to grandchildren but sometimes it's because they love to ski. When you are looking around you might want to investigate the OLLI educational programs for people age 50 and over (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute). The one in NH has mostly single session classes in a variety of subjects while in other states you might find OLLI classes are more like traditional college classes. Some retirees are doing a lot of winter traveling but I'm really surprises that one of the popular travels right now is Antarctica. Living on a lake, however, is usually expensive. A friend volunteers at one of the theaters so she can get her fill of music, dance, etc.
Good luck in your search.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 04:24 AM

Cashiers, NC and Greenville, SC come up a lot in conversations about retirement here in the south. There are some beautiful lake communities west of Greenville but there’s not much around them.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 07:13 AM

Deschutes County Oregon (Bend area) has been "discovered" for retirement. The population in the 2010 census for Bend (city) was 88K. It will be very close to 100K in the 2020 census.
There are many retirement apartments/condos that you never have to shovel snow or cut grass. There are a few active people that have skied at Mt. Bachelor in the morning and played golf in the afternoon.
Sunriver is also very popular with retirees.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 07:37 AM

If traveling often is part of the plan, you may want to consider how close you locate to an international airport
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 10:10 AM

suze makes an excellent point. We relocated to Knoxville six months ago (non-retired). This is the first time either of us have ever lived in a city without an international airport. We travel extensively and I am already hating the connections. I couldn't imagine retiring in Knoxville given our love of travel.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 11:55 AM

You might want to look at the boards on City-Data - City-Data.com Forum: Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions - which is very much geared to relocation and local conditions, rather than a travel board like Fodor's.

That said, the first place that came to my mind for the combination of close-but-not-too-close to a metro area was Hood River, Oregon. You're an hour from Portland (even less to the airport) but located in a stunning setting - surrounded by orchards and vineyards, the Columbia River and many lakes, Mounts Hood and Adams, easy access to high desert for winter sun, and a very rich local social and arts scene. It's definitely four-season country, but seldom severe, and the summers are glorious.

Old Feb 14th, 2020, 01:02 PM

Nice!!!! Also Oregon's winter's are not as severe as mid-west ones.
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 07:51 PM

Where I live (semi-retired), the average high temp is 75F year round. It never snows. 9 holes of golf for $11 US. 6 hour drive from 2 different coasts. World class dining at a fraction of the cost from what you're used to. Cell phone bill $15. 30 Meg home internet, $25. Free, universal health care. Water bill $7. Don't need heating or A/C. Rent for a 3br 1200 ft house about $600-800. We pay $900 for 3br 3 ba 1800 ft with rooftop terrace & pool and security next to a golf course.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 10:08 AM

Where, oh where, is this, baldone?! Universal health care? Surely not in the USA.

Last edited by TDudette; Feb 15th, 2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 11:03 AM

No, not in the US, somewhere I'm considering myself for half the year. I'll let baldone fill in the blanks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO