Reload this Page >

Undecided about Yellowstone in Mid/Late September

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:50 AM
Stew

I already have in-park lodging reservations for a September 19 - 27 trip to Yellowstone. The lack of crowds, changing color of the aspens, elk rut season are all appealing, but I still have doubts about the weather, the shorter daylight and some closed Park activities in late September. Can someone with "September experience" at Yellowstone please convince me that this is a good time to visit!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 05:53 AM
wow

Have not been in Sept, but how could anytime not be a good time to visit?
Hope someone comes up with a good answer, but I would surely go..You would always just sit at the fireplace at Old Faithful and daydream..

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 06:09 AM
amy

I went in Sept. 2001 (22 -29th) and had a wonderful trip! We had 4 days in YNP and 3 in GTNP. With careful booking, you can arrange for all the activities you might want to do. About the only spot we had a bit of trouble in was at the Canyon area, but we knew ahead of time that most of the facilites there would be closed, and packed our lunch, which is quite easy to arrange. We stayed at the Old Faithful Inn for 2 nights (ate there and at the Snow Lodge), at the Yellowstone Lake Hotel for 2 nights (dinner there, and at the Hamilton Store), and at the Signal Moutain Lodge for 3 nights (GTNP). We had wonderful weather - sunny, almost 70 degrees most days, and cool in the evenings, but I think we were fortunate - it just as easily could have snowed! So, pack appropriately, and enjoy whatever weather. They did have some road closures (repairs), but we were able to find out in advance and plan our itinerary to avoid too much driving. The shorter daylight hours just means you don't have to stay up late to see the wildlife at dusk, and getting up early to see them is easier - the sound of the elk bugling is amazing. I'd hate to see the park crowded, there were still a fair number of people there, and reservations (especially for dinner) are essential - with fewer choices that time of year, the ones that are open tend to get full. I would definitely go back in September. Hope this helps -

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:48 AM
Roger

We are also visiting in mid-September and wonder about the pluses and minuses of going to Yellowstone at that time.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:55 AM
April

If it makes you feel any better, we were in Yellowstone in October (around the 5th-9th). Anyway, the day before we arrived they had snow but the days were were the weather was absolutely gorgeous - the bluest skies I have ever seen! We had no crowds, which made it easier to get around. The only negative I could give is that most of the ranger led activities had already stopped, but we did not miss them (get a good guidebook)! I would not hesitate at all to go back in October!

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:58 AM
April

Second sentence should say:

Anyway, the day before we arrived they had snow but the days we were there the . . .

Sorry for the brain lapse - thinking of Yellowstone does that.

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 03:41 AM
x

It's been too darned long since our visit to Yellowstone (decades), and I'd sure love to go back. But that visit was in early October...and it was glorious, despite a few snowflakes here and there. The best thing about going in Sept.-Oct. is the lack of crowds...Enjoy!