UNC - Chapel Hill Lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband just found out he is going to UNC at Chapel Hill on Wednesday and he needs a place to stay that is nice and very close to the campus. So far I have found a Best Western University, The Carolina Inn, Days Inn, Holiday Inn Chapel Hill, Holiday Inn Express, Sheraton Chapel Hill and The Siena Hotel. I have no idea if any of these are real close to the campus or if any of these are nice. I was looking for a Marriott or Hilton type hotel that was close but have not been able to find it. We have never been to Chapel Hill so I do not have a clue and have obviously a limited amount of time to make a decision. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 04:12 AM

Of the hotels you listed, The Carolina Inn is the only one very close to campus.
In fact, it's so close he can walk (it's right across the street from the main entrance).

It's very old and not particularly fancy, but for a night or two it's quite charming and the location can't be beat.

It's almost impossible to find a parking space on campus, so I'd definitely recommend it.

The Siena is VERY nice and has a great restaurant - Il Palio - but it is at least 20 min. away if traffic is bad. The Holiday Inn is vanilla.

The campus at CHapel Hill is GORGEOUS (but I'm a little prejudiced since I went to school there He'd enjoy staying at Carolina Inn and strolling to whereever it is on campus he needs to go. (It's easy to get around there on foot.)
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your quick and helpful reply. I will look into that hotel for him. Again, thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:14 AM
GoTravel

I think the Carolina Inn is wonderful.

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:25 AM
Cassandra

Carolina Inn has been restored and updated and is rather fancy -- with costs to boot. But it's so convenient that for a short stay, the differential is cheaper than renting a car.

The chef at the Carolina used to be at the Siena -- when he left, the Siena's restaurant suffered and the Carolina Inn benefitted.

Enjoy it.

Old Jun 17th, 2003, 07:39 AM

Sounds like things have changed for the better since the last time I was at the Carolina Inn for a function.
It had a scruffy, understated elegance, and funky old rabbit warren of rooms that I found endearing.
I guess it's now gone "upscale."
That was quite a coup for them to get the chef from Il Palio.
Old Jun 17th, 2003, 01:31 PM

I agree that the Carolina Inn is your best bet. It's lovely and right on campus.

If you can't get a room there, I'd say go for the Sienna or the Sheraton. They are each about 3 miles from campus but have shuttle services that take guests where they need to go. (It's also very easy to call a cab.) The Sienna is much more elegant than the Sheraton, but the Sheraton is perfectly nice and has a decent breakfast.

The Best Western is a little closer to campus but it is awful. The Holiday Inn is not much better. The Days Inn is new so it's quite a bit nicer than your typical Days Inn.

I checked out all these places for a visiting group recently.