Search

Ultimate Kauai is

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 03:47 PM
bk

Ultimate Kauai is

the best guide book for __________???? But then again it really misses the mark when it comes to ________????

What other Kauai (or Oahu) guide books would you suggest and why?

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 05:41 PM
p.

We bought Underground kauai (16th ed, Horowitz) for first trip & it was useful but I don't think it's been updated for a while. This time we're taking UK and it's already been very useful to see the aerial views & comments of the condos etc. This time tho', we're not going to rush around so much, plan on being v-e-r-y laid back !
p.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:13 PM
Emily

It is an awesome guidebook, mostly for the activities, not as much for resorts. But you can get first hand info on where to stay right here. When we went to Kauai,we were hopping & opted to stay pretty cheap on Kauai at the Garden Island Inn. Although our room was big & clean, I thought from the pictures at there website that it was on the beach & it was not. It was across the street. Oh well.

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:36 PM
bk

thanks p

hey Emily: Do you recall the room name or floor # you stayed on at the GI Inn. It was on my short list for my trip in Oct but I have to admit the web site pictures just seemed a bit dark and drab to me. I too assumed it was on the beach too <s>

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Emily

We had an Orchid room, with a kitchen. It was very clean & comfortable. But I was disappointed that it wasn't on the beach. There is a road in front of the building. It's not a bad place to stay, if you know what to expect about the beach. It is only a 5 min walk (across the street).

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:08 PM
diane

UK is great for hikes and activities, but not as informative for accommodations as using a website such as Hotels.com that shows pictures of rooms. We also used several recommendations for inexpensive food such as that yummy pizza in the little place on the highway near the turnoff to Waimea Canyon.