UK citizen wanting to tour the White House

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be in Washington DC from 1st to 6th June this year and I understand that tours are available to the White House but only in groups of 10. I am travelling alone and would appreciate it if anyone was taking a tour during those days that they wouldn't mind having me along on. Please contact me via this message board.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:56 AM

Check out whitehouse.gov Site says that groups of any type of 10 or more can take tours by contacting US Rep at least one month in advance. Obviously, you do not have an elected government Representative - so that may be a problem.

I do not know, but suspect that for security reasons they want to know who is going on the tour in advance as well. Do not know policies on non-US citizens on tours. My 13 year old daughter and a school group could not even get a tour in past year.

As I am sure you have noticed in your country as well, so much has changed about security - much of it does not make sense to me, but I am not a security expert.

My only other suggestion would be to contact some company in Washington that does day tours of various historic sites (there must me some company that does tours more structured than Tourmobile - hop on/hop off - tours).
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, although organised groups can arrange them through their congressman, it seems we foreigners still pose a security risk. There are no commercial tour companies currently taking tours other than to gaze at the building from behind the fencing. I'm more than happy to have my personal credentials scrutinised but it's obviously a huge undertaking and perhaps is why the White House is still closed to us.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 09:03 AM
E

I've suggested this before to a poster here, but don't know if it was worthwhile; anyway, have you considered contacting the Brtish Embassy in DC? They should be able at least to advise you...good luck!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

No reply from the British Embassy. I guess it's not really within their remit.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 10:37 AM
E

Ah, too bad! But I'm glad to know, because now I can stop suggesting it!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 10:56 AM
MightyIsis

Sorry you didn't get a reply from the British Embassy, as that would have been my suggestion also. I looked at the White House Website and could find nothing on arranging a visit to the White House if you aren't an American citizen. If you want, check out whitehouse.gov and have a look. If you click on "contact us" it gives you a direct link to Bush's and Cheney's email addresses. You may just try emailing Bush and Cheney to see what the reply is. My other suggestion would be to visit the American embassy in London to acquire permission there, or at least a resource on where to go. Good luck to you!

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:13 PM

If you have any American friends, why not ask them to check with their Congressional Representative on your behalf? Perhaps their Senator or Congressman could link you up with a group.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Syv

I had no problem lining up for hours for the very brief tour (as a Canadian citizen) a few years ago, but that was before 9/11.

Am planning to be there July 4-5, 2004. Never thought that would be an issue. Interesting you brought it up. Thanks.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 05:22 PM

To Syv - EVERYTHING in Washington changed after 9/11. Concrete barriers, bag checks, lots of buildings closed - it made us sad and angry when we were there last year.
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 03:09 AM

We (UK citizens) went in November 2003.
I researched the tours of the Whitehouse and found NO 'foreigners' are allowed.The White house web-site gave all the details.

Talk about anal about security though.

Every building had metal detectors and guards. The quality of both ranged from the scary (Supreme Court) to lazy (Monument) and stupid (the tourist office and a public library!!).

Take you passport out with you on your visits as they check all ID's and 'foreigners' ID is a passport, nothing else is accepted.

Have fun, but don't mention the war....
Old Apr 28th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Orcas,
I believe Evelyn has no personal U.S. aquaintances (how many UK residents do?)and that was why she posted here on Fodor's - to ask if she could hook-up with a U.S. group travelling to DC sometime between June 1 through June 6.
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Syv

Just an update (from Canadian citizen) which might be useful to original UK question.

Washington DC Tourism replied to my email about this.

They said "contact your embassy" about arranging tours of White House / Capitol.

Did just that. My embassy promptly replied that D.C. Official Tourism has been telling everyone to contact their embassy. Our Canadian embassy tried to help folks since this policy started, but said it is a dysfunctional system and took forever to get tickets. So they have STOPPED helping get tour tickets. Unfortunately, therefore, we won't be able to take a tour.

You may find your embassy has the same difficulties helping you get tours.