Reload this Page >

Uglesich's Restaurant

Search

Uglesich's Restaurant

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:04 PM
Deborah

Uglesich's Restaurant

I did a ton of research before going to New Orleans with my husband. We like to try the fancy tourist places (we went to Arnaud's, which was nice) but our FAVOURITE is Uglesich's! It has been said by Gourmet magazine that Uglesich's (pronounced ooglasitches) is "secretly the best food in New Orleans" and this is true. You can have lots of ceremony at the thourist places and they are fun as well, but don't miss this experience. It is only open from about 11ish to before dinner...... and is in a very odd part of town, off the streetcar route near the Garden District. The address is: 1238 Baronne St. Please note that the decor is atrocious, but the food is out of this world!!! To top it off, you might get to witness a yelling match between the staff, as they plunk down your food!!! The owner sat with us to recommend our choices - he's a colourful guy! Best time I've had eating in a long time!! Go with your sense of humour, but be prepared for your taste buds to explode with gratitude!!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 12:25 PM
Wendy

I saw this restaurant highlighted on one of Emerile's shows. Glad to know that it was so good. It looked very casual but totally original.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:05 PM
joan

We went a couple of years ago and it does have character. Walkable from the French Quarter (daylight only!). Oyster poboy was fresh and delicious, we were seated next to a giant old black guy who told us he was the "original tamale street vendor" in New Orleans, who then pointed out the other famous patrons to us. Only downside for me was walking through the kitchen to get to the bathroom, seeing dirty 5 gal buckets of fish guts on the path...

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:08 PM
Deborah

okay good point:

Traveller hint Number 1: Don't use the bathroom.......... too funny - I suppose fish guts could be part of the charm!!??

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 01:33 PM
Wendy

Joan it's better than the bathroom trip I found myself in while in mexico once- the 5 gal. bucket WAS the bathroom! yikes!

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 02:09 PM
Ann

I live in Baton Rouge but I heard just last week that this restaurant was permanently closed. Could a New Orleanian confirm this? Thanks.

Old Oct 27th, 2002, 04:30 PM
flex

We were there last Monday 10-21. They were crowded and doing big business!!