Tx to Vegas to GC DRIVE

Search

Tx to Vegas to GC DRIVE

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tx to Vegas to GC DRIVE

Family of 3 ( daughter is 21 ) will making drive from Hou, Tx area to Vegas --3 nights then on to Grand Canyon -2 nights -S. Rim. Where we need help is GC , worried about rm availibility situation for lodges on the Rim. Just looking online there seems to be no rms for middle of June when we will be going --GC - 6/19-6/20 stay. Any suggestions on what would be another alternative lodging spot. We want to do some hiking 2 - 4 hrs at atime would be fine...suggestions and is rafting available in the south rim area. Lastly the last 2 nights of trip before we head back to Tx will be Flagstaff/ Sedona area..suggestions or drive up north to Page/ Zion Park . Want to do one or the other. Suggestions please, thanks in advance .
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 03:23 PM

Call and keep calling as people and tour companies make reservations way in advance and cancel as time gets close. These cancellations don't always make it to the web, so take the number and call frequently.

In the mean time make a reservation you can cancel in Tusayan or Cameron for lodging. Tusayan is just south of the park on rt 64 and there are several motels there. Cameron is about a half hour east on 64 then just a tiny bit north on 89. I've stayed at the Cameron Trading Post and it was fine, on the Colorado River and not too expensive.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

thks emalloy. Still looking for itneriary suggestions. Still fighting over whether to do Page/Zion pk area with GC( 1 or 2 days in GC? )or do Sedona/Flagstaff after GC. Can someone tell me how long of drive from S.RIM to Zion pk/ Page and if we that part would it be better to go there before GC TRIP. Have'nt made Reservation for any Az of Az trip yet but need too very soon. Suggestions please !!
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 11:11 AM

If you can modify your itinerary slightly, I vote for Page/Lake Powell and Zion. They're both incredible in very different ways. Page in particular offers a lot to do (float trips on the river, boating on Lake Powell, Antelope and other Slot Canyons, easy but scenic hikes, just to name a few).

If you could change your itinerary so you visit Zion and Page/Lake after you do Las Vegas, then do Grand Canyon then Sedona before heading back to Houston TX. Map ->: http://g.co/maps/5yftc
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

K_BOT..many thks. Needed some persuasion. I take it's easier to go page/zion before GC ? from driving time. Think will leave Sedona as 1/2day stop before heading back to Houston . Would you do 2 nights in page/LAKE Powell/zion area and 1 nite for GC or vice-versa. Basically we would leave Vegas very early on a Tue - 6/19 and have till late afternoon/early evening Friday before needing to make some headway back to TX. need to be at least in Tucson or further East to make it back Sat eve with all day Saturday driving . To Vegas we plan on driving 1000 mi ( 3 of us ) first day starting @ 6 a.m. ending on west side of Tucson. Not body wise but at least clock wise we will gain 2 hrs when we arrive in AZ.if you could give me plan on how you would handle Tue-Fri sch that would be great. Trying to make reservations tonight if possible.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

k_bot ..thanks for map btw gives me good picture of what I'm looking at.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 12:10 PM

I would head up from Houston, to I-40 near Amarillo and head west. I would go to GC south rim, then Sedona (if you really want to) then Vegas then Zion then if you want GC north rim then Page and back to Houston. Or you could do the loop in the other direction. You could go in to GC south rim on the way to Page, but I would want to do a different route on the way back. I actually prefer the south rim views, but others prefer north rim.

Lodging near the parks may be a problem. Look at Cameron Trading Post (on 89) for GC if nothing else is available. There are lots of places in Page, but it is always good to have a plan b and look at Springdale, UT for Zion. The first part of your trip will be near the hwy, so you will probably be able to find places near exits. Pick up a RoomSaver magazine at a welcome center, they have discount coupons, phone numbers and more important maps that show what lodging is available in an area. If you are between Page and Zion, Kanab UT has several lodging choices.

Depending on how much time you want to spend along the way, there are lots of things to see quite close to the hwy. Albuquerque, Painted Desert/Petrified Forrest, meteor crater, Walnut Canyon are all within a few miles of 40. If you go up 89, Wupatki and Sunset Crater
between Flagstaff and Page.

Have a great trip.
Old Apr 19th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

we are definitely doing vegas on 1st leg of trip...so order of trip will not work.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:05 PM

We are doing a similar version of your trip too in early June! Call, Call, Call twice a day for lodging on the rim. People do cancel. The only way to get those rooms is to call, call, call!!! GOOD LUCK! If you can't get on the rim, book a room at The Best Western.

As for rafting, since you have a car, drive yourself to Page, AZ and raft the canyon. www.raftthecanyon.com. Going directly thru them will save you a great deal of money rather than booking it thru Xanterra.

HAVE FUN!!!
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

benitas, thks and good luck to you all also. I was able to book a rm @ Thunderbird. WE are only staying for 1 night so I'm sure that helped. I beleive the 1/2 day float raft trip we are doing out of Page was 80.00/person is that about right. Pretty sure it was done through the people in Page.
Reservations are all set...2 nights in Vegas--Bellagio, 2 nights in Zion Natl Park -- Majestic View lodge, 1 night in Page for early a.m. 1/2 day float trip, 1 night in GC ...looking forward to it.Stopping for short visit in Sedona all way back to Texas . Good luck !